Buffalo News sold

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

In the last 5 years, they have depleted the editorial staff to bare bones.  They got rid of all copy editing positions.  

You aren't kidding! Take a look at the last paragraph in an article about the Buffalo area unemployment rate from today's paper. An editor would have quickly caught the obvious error. SMDH

"There’s even a disparity across Buffalo Niagara, too. The 4.5% unemployment rate in Erie County is more than a percentage point higher than the 5.6% jobless rate in Niagara County." - David Robinson, Deputy Business Editor for the Buffalo News

Rut-Row, Raggy!!

40 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

What's a paper?

A website in over-sized print form. lol

12 hours ago, teef said:

i think that was the name of the evening paper.  it was the d and c in the morning, and the thinner times union in the afternoon.  i even remember those tiny, weird, square receipts they would give after payment.  

D&C in the AM, TU in the afternoon.  

I delivered the paper when I was a young teenager and helped friends on their routes too. 

10 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

What's a paper?

something I would smack on my hand to alert the dog he did something wrong. 

Now its just for the weekly coupons you get on Sundays

• Like (+1) 4

So many things have changed since Al Gore invented the internet ? so many main stays like the paper have went to the way side because of it .

Ah i long for the good ole days when dad use to read the paper & use it to smack the dog, or me when i did something wrong, or swat a fly with it, or start a bon fire, puppy pads, or people pads when we wanted to make a mess ah yes the paper had so many good uses & it all is going away because of the internet THANX AL !

Not to mention how real live zombies have become to exist because of it ! When your around any of your kids or grand kids turn on a smart phone or iPad & watch the blank stare that comes across their faces & how they are drawn to it like a buzzard to a dead carcass !! It must be the glow ...?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Bring back the Courier Express!   :)

I still have the final edition.  9/19/82.  Three months later I moved out of WNY (I was living in Kenmore) for the final time & never lived there again.  The death of the Courier and the end of my time in WNY were very close.  I've come back many times for Bills game weekends, but it will never be the same.  

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Lee owns our local newspaper, for which I worked (ad sales) for about 9-months after being laid off.

In the last 5 years, they have depleted the editorial staff to bare bones.  They got rid of all copy editing positions.  The paper has become unaffordable.  They shut down the printing press and laid off all of those workers - which resulted in the paper being printed an hour away by another newspaper (which it doesn't even own), so delivery is a nightmare (which is why I stopped getting the paper, in addition to them raising the prices about three times/year).

Which paper?  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Surprisingly the Buffalo News is still profitable even despite their actual readership of daily papers going from 400K to 100K now...technology and targeting business subscriptions to online content has been a huge boon to this.

That and AM radio is still viable in Buffalo. Truly old school.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL  Pay wall 

they basically all draw from a news pool

It's funny I had metro pcs and used to get hit with the paywall from BN. Now I'm on Verizon and I get everything but the BN Blitz.

• Haha (+1) 1

It was, at the time of the beginning of the demise of printed news, an adjustment for many of us old timers who missed the printed news rag. However, even an old cranky guy like me ("get off my lawn") now does not even miss a printed Buffalo News or Rochester Democrat & Chronicle (or even the old "Times Union" for us Senior Citizens). The time for those old rags came & went. I might look at a Buffalo News article again - if there was no pay wall. Otherwise information that is just as good (or usually better) is readily available elsewhere.  Many people are now all fired up about the impending NYS Ban on plastic bags at stores - "what will we line our trash cans with at home?". To this we will also adjust -  used to wonder what my wife would line the bird cage with without the "paper". Guess what - the bird cage is still lined. Eventually we won't even miss the grocery store bags - just like we don't miss the Buffalo News.

54 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I still have the final edition.  9/19/82.  Three months later I moved out of WNY (I was living in Kenmore) for the final time & never lived there again.  The death of the Courier and the end of my time in WNY were very close.  I've come back many times for Bills game weekends, but it will never be the same.  

Which paper?  

Post-Star.

Schenectady Gazette is doing the printing.  A friend of mine was the Editorial writer at the Post-Star.  He now does that for the Gazette.  Writers there have to paginate their own pieces.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

' cost synergies, primarily from the reduction of administrative expenses".  that means a bunch of people in WNY get fired

They've been cleaning house for years already

My mother worked there for 30+ years and was laid off a few years ago with 98% of her department

7 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Maybe the first time ever that he bought high and sold low.

Not sure, but his newspaper venture took a beating:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-sells-newspapers-140-million-lee-enterprises-2020-1-1028855743

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Surprisingly the Buffalo News is still profitable even despite their actual readership of daily papers going from 400K to 100K now...technology and targeting business subscriptions to online content has been a huge boon to this.

Not so sure of that either:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

From this article:

"the News lost $1.8 million in the first quarter of 2018 (the paper’s first quarterly loss in 40-plus years), management clearly saw it as a state of emergency." 

Edited by I am the egg man

40 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Not sure, but his newspaper venture took a beating:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-sells-newspapers-140-million-lee-enterprises-2020-1-1028855743

Not so sure of that either:

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

From this article:

"the News lost $1.8 million in the first quarter of 2018 (the paper’s first quarterly loss in 40-plus years), management clearly saw it as a state of emergency." 

I was just at a software development meeting there a few weeks ago and the VP of IT was demonstrating their use of Golang and was talking about how what they are doing technology wise was allowing them to remain profitable..

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

D&C in the AM, TU in the afternoon.  

I delivered the paper when I was a young teenager and helped friends on their routes too. 

something I would smack on my hand to alert the dog he did something wrong. 

Now its just for the weekly coupons you get on Sundays

seriously?  Take it to the PPP 

This entire thread doesn’t belong here so if the entire thread isn’t removed then I guess statements like that are fair game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I was just at a software development meeting there a few weeks ago and the VP of IT was demonstrating their use of Golang and was talking about how what they are doing technology wise was allowing them to remain profitable..

Guess I'll have to take your word on that. 

Maybe many of the 10,000's of WNY'ers who've left the area are online subscribers.

The BN would be one of the few profitable papers of the bunch that Buffett sold, given he is losing $200,000,000 in the sale.