Buffalo News sold

25 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/29/buffalo-news-sold-to-lee-enterprises/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Enterprises

Interesting to see whether they will change the way they cover Bills/Sabres.

' cost synergies, primarily from the reduction of administrative expenses".  that means a bunch of people in WNY get fired

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

does anyone here miss the evening paper?

what's an evening paper?  ;)  ;)  

memory flashback to  The Times Union .... 

In my town some guy drives around throwing some local paper on Thursday afternoons.  

Does that count? 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

I was a paper boy delivering the evening news in the late afternoon and early on weekends...still read it daily (mostly sports) still have a 100k circulation on Sundays alone..likely going to centralize the back office-admin functions (ie layoffs) so lets see what the impact to the end users are beyond a price increase...not a good sign when Warren Buffet dumps an asset

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

what's an evening paper?  ;)  ;)  

memory flashback to  The Times Union .... 

In my town some guy drives around throwing some local paper on Thursday afternoons.  

Does that count? 

i think that was the name of the evening paper.  it was the d and c in the morning, and the thinner times union in the afternoon.  i even remember those tiny, weird, square receipts they would give after payment.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

' cost synergies, primarily from the reduction of administrative expenses".  that means a bunch of people in WNY get fired

Surprisingly the Buffalo News is still profitable even despite their actual readership of daily papers going from 400K to 100K now...technology and targeting business subscriptions to online content has been a huge boon to this.

Lee owns our local newspaper, for which I worked (ad sales) for about 9-months after being laid off.

In the last 5 years, they have depleted the editorial staff to bare bones.  They got rid of all copy editing positions.  The paper has become unaffordable.  They shut down the printing press and laid off all of those workers - which resulted in the paper being printed an hour away by another newspaper (which it doesn't even own), so delivery is a nightmare (which is why I stopped getting the paper, in addition to them raising the prices about three times/year).

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Accounting, finance, HR, purchasing positions, for sure.     Maybe another round of buyouts for the older (ie, expensive) newsroom types...