Reggie Ragland speaks out about his career and leaving Buffalo...

eball

...on his time in Buffalo and the circumstances of his trade to KC in this article.  Anyone else find it amusing that he bemoans not being given a chance to show he can play in Buffalo and now he is a backup for for Chefs?

Edited by eball

Ragland will be playing a lot in this game, he is good vs the run but will be targeted in the passing game. I think KC will be making a huge mistake if they sell out to stop the run thinking Jimmy G can't hurt them. Jimmy G broke most of Romos college records, he may not have the best WR's but I think he can easily put up 300+ and 3 TD's vs KC.

It's almost comical that at the biggest stage of their lives, player after player chooses to use the opportunity to blast former teams. It's never a "Just didn't work out there. Made a few friends though, had some good times but I'm where I need to be now". There's always a saga. A backstory. Even funnier is the 2 players trying to stick it to Buffalo this week a bit had very very little impact on why the Chiefs are where they are.

• Like (+1) 2

Meh. I always thought he would be as good or better than the last LB to make the roster or the pick received. Didn’t save money.

id have been fine with him as depth and in “and short” packages. 

that said, not losing sleep over that one 

Edited by NoSaint

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It's almost comical that at the biggest stage of their lives, player after player chooses to use the opportunity to blast former teams. It's never a "Just didn't work out there. Made a few friends though, had some good times but I'm where I need to be now". There's always a saga. A backstory. Even funnier is the 2 players trying to stick it to Buffalo this week a bit had very very little impact on why the Chiefs are where they are.

To Sammy's credit he has mentioned a few times in LA and KC that he knows he was too much of a diva in Buffalo and part of his learning experience was that stats don't always matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

...on his time in Buffalo and the circumstances of his trade to KC in this article.  Anyone else find it amusing that he bemoans not being given a chance to show he can play in Buffalo and now he is a backup for for Chefs?

Bear in mind, he's a backup who has averaged 34% of the defensive snaps since mid-season.

In the modern NFL defense, whether or not a guy "starts" is a function of which defense takes the field for the first defensive snap.

Ragland is playing a significant role on the Chiefs D - which is still not that good.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

To be fair to the players, what doesn't always get included in the story are the specific questions they are asked about those teams and how they feel about being a high draft pick then traded and so forth.  Sometimes reporters drill on it and then put together the scraps they get to make it seem like the guy put the team on blast when really, he answered about 5 specific leading questions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We gotta stop being so sensitive.  I don’t have a problem with anything he said.  He was a 2nd round pick by a previous regime and never saw the field for the current regime.  Any competitor would feel the same way.  Not his fault the Bills drafted him so high for Rex’s defense.   

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We gotta stop being so sensitive.  I don’t have a problem with anything he said.  He was a 2nd round pick by a previous regime and never saw the field for the current regime.  Any competitor would feel the same way.  Not his fault the Bills drafted him so high for Rex’s defense.   

Who's sensitive?  I find it interesting to hear what players say when they leave an organization.  It gives insight into the athlete's mind.  Very often it doesn't truly match reality.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Topic titles must reflect the content of the topic (and it must contain more than just a name). This helps to reduce the number of duplicate topics and makes the community much more user friendly.

Please edit the title so that it properly reflects the discussion that you started.

Thank you.

I think this is a little bit of over-moderation, to be frank.  It's Super Bowl week, Ragland is on the Chiefs, and it's not as if people are confused as to what the topic is.  But whatever.

Edited by eball

31 minutes ago, eball said:

I think this is a little bit of over-moderation, to be frank.  It's Super Bowl week, Ragland is on the Chiefs, and it's not as if people are confused as to what the topic is.  But whatever.

You are welcome to take this up with the board owner, who asks that topic titles be complete and reflect the content of the thread so others can see and avoid - and asks that moderators enforce this. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

No, I was totally fine with what he said.  To me, he wasn't talking down the city or the organization, he made clear he understood why he was cut just that he wished they would have given him more of a chance.  I couldn't find anything bad he said about Beane or McD and I respect the fact he was willing to talk with some candor. 

Backup or not, the man's a competitive professional, and he felt like he never had a chance here and wishes he had.  I can respect that.  The only sour grapes I see here are from the posters, none of these former players "blasted" the franchise and trying to belittle his words because he's only a "backup" on a talented superbowl contending team is the closest thing I see to sour grapes here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

No, I was totally fine with what he said.  To me, he wasn't talking down the city or the organization, he made clear he understood why he was cut just that he wished they would have given him more of a chance.  I couldn't find anything bad he said about Beane or McD and I respect the fact he was willing to talk with some candor. 

Backup or not, the man's a competitive professional, and he felt like he never had a chance here and wishes he had.  I can respect that.  The only sour grapes I see here are from the posters, none of these former players "blasted" the franchise and trying to belittle his words because he's only a "backup" on a talented superbowl contending team is the closest thing I see to sour grapes here.

You sound a bit sensitive.  Reggie Ragland, on a good day, plays roughly 1/3 of the snaps for a mediocre defense.  He's not what he was purported to be yet talked about how Buffalo didn't "give him a chance" to play.  He didn't bash the organization but his perspective on who he is doesn't seem to match reality.  That's the amusing part to me.

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Not comical everyone wants vindication for their talents

2 hours ago, eball said:

You're reading way too much into what is a truthful, non-controversial statement of fact:

"But I wish they would have given me a chance to show that I really can play and I really could have helped their defense if they gave me time. But they didn't give me the time and they traded me here. I know, my first five weeks here, they gave me the time to rehab and get back even stronger on my knee. Actually, I've been trying to make due on everything that (Chiefs GM) Brett Veach and Coach (Andy) Reid have done for me and I'm very thankful for those two to come get me out of Buffalo and I'm here playing for the Chiefs."