Family Dog (Pit Bull) Kills 26-Day-Old Baby

Gugny

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's... 3 people a month get killed by a dog in the US. Take Pits out of equation and 1 person a month is killed.

Associated tables

Table 1

Illustrates the breeds of dogs involved in fatal attacks on humans over the last 13-year period. 20 different dog breeds each inflicted 1 death (0.2%) and are excluded from this table.

Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Attacks on Humans (2005-2017)
Breed Deaths % of Total
Pit bull 284 65.6%
Rottweiler 45 10.4%
German shepherd 20 4.6%
Mixed-breed 17 3.9%
American bulldog 15 3.5%
Mastiff/bullmastiff 14 3.2%
Husky 13 3.0%
Unknown/unreleased 11 2.5%
Labrador retriever 9 2.1%
Boxer 7 1.6%
Doberman pinscher 6 1.4%
Alaskan malamute 4 0.9%
Golden retriever 4 0.9%
Heeler/Australian cattle dog 4 0.9%
Cane corso 3 0.7%
Chow chow 3 0.7%
Wolf-dog hybrid 3 0.7%
Presa canario 2 0.5%
Japanese akita 2 0.5%
Australian shepherd 2 0.5%
Belgian malinois 2 0.5%

Bullmastiff 6, English mastiff 2, Italian mastiff 1, mastiff (unspecified) 4, Neapolitan mastiff 1.

Assuming that these stats are true, don't you find it remarkable that only 17 deaths were caused by those listed as "mixed breeds?" Is it beyond dispute that there are more mixed breed dogs than pure breads, or am I missing something?

In any event, if these stats are true they make a very strong case for getting a mixed breed dog, along with the humane factors.

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Assuming that these stats are true, don't you find it remarkable that only 17 deaths were caused by those listed as "mixed breeds?" Is it beyond dispute that there are more mixed breed dogs than pure breads, or am I missing something?

In any event, if these stats are true they make a very strong case for getting a mixed breed dog, along with the humane factors.

I would guess that those stats are all about how the dog (owner or first responder) self identifies.

Of those 300 odd pitbull attacks I'd guess that most are actually mixes.

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I would guess that those stats are all about how the dog (owner or first responder) self identifies.

i always call mine pits but they're both mixes. and according to my insurance company the big one is a boxer.

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

That makes sense. Am I wrong, or does this indicate that a mixed breed non-pit is the statistically safe way to go, and perhaps even the best way all around?

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

That makes sense. Am I wrong, or does this indicate that a mixed breed non-pit is the statistically safe way to go, and perhaps even the best way all around?

Not an expert, but crazies are everywhere.  Breeders have wrought a terrible toll on some (health, behavioral or a combination of both).  How many litters of mixed breeding before those "imperfections" go away?

Like with people, I wouldn't include or exclude a dog based on looks alone.  Get to know the pupper and make your decision as best you can.  If you think that aggression could be an issue after living with the dog then make your decision.  If you keep the dog then get proper training for it and yourself & get the right equipment to manage it.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Like with people, I wouldn't include or exclude a dog based on looks alone.  Get to know the pupper and make your decision as best you can.  If you think that aggression could be an issue after living with the dog then make your decision.  If you keep the dog then get proper training for it and yourself & get the right equipment to manage it.

I am legitimately afraid of pit bulls.  If I see a pit bull, I go the other way very calmly.  Even if it might be a mix, if it looks like a pit bull, I'm out.

I realize that many, many people have pit bulls for years without incident.  I love dogs.  But I know I can't fake being comfortable around a pit bull and I always fear that if I go near one to pet it, that it will pick up on my fear and that could be "the trigger," for the dog to snap.

I am convinced (I'm not saying I'm right, per se) that all the training, love, proper discipline and equipment cannot and will not prevent a pit bull from snapping and wrecking everything in its path.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am legitimately afraid of pit bulls.  If I see a pit bull, I go the other way very calmly.  Even if it might be a mix, if it looks like a pit bull, I'm out.

I realize that many, many people have pit bulls for years without incident.  I love dogs.  But I know I can't fake being comfortable around a pit bull and I always fear that if I go near one to pet it, that it will pick up on my fear and that could be "the trigger," for the dog to snap.

I am convinced (I'm not saying I'm right, per se) that all the training, love, proper discipline and equipment cannot and will not prevent a pit bull from snapping and wrecking everything in its path.

that's insane. 

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Your segregation does not seem to be rationally based. Does that make it ok?

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

this is exactly how I feel and act too. 

no offense, but I’m not going to place myself or family at risk. Found out recently too that my daughter’s friends’ family has a pit, and so all future play dates are at our house. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Your segregation does not seem to be rationally based. Does that make it ok?

It makes it okay for me.  It also makes me far more unlikely to be killed a pit bull.

Answer to your question - YES.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

What if the dog is 50% pit? What is your cutoff point?

Well, luckily I carry a DNA analysis kit with me everywhere I go.  If I'm unsure of a dog's breed, I can know its genetic make up within 2 short minutes.

Any pit bull = me calmly going the other way.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Well, luckily I carry a DNA analysis kit with me everywhere I go.  If I'm unsure of a dog's breed, I can know its genetic make up within 2 short minutes.

So, it’s the look, not some rational basis in fact that scares you.  I wonder if you’ve ever mistook an animal for a pit? That would be sad.

What other animals and/or plants are you afraid of based on looks alone?

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, it’s the look, not some rational basis in fact that scares you.  I wonder if you’ve ever mistook an animal for a pit? That would be sad.

What other animals and/or plants are you afraid of based on looks alone?

There is a chance that I may have mistaken another breed for a pit.

It's really not sad, because all I do is politely avoid them.  No harm, no foul.

The only other species I feel similarly about is mustachioed men.  They give me the creeps.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Does this DNA test involve an oral swab? That sounds like a great plan, stick your hand in the dog’s mouth.....and see if you get it back. That would be fairly conclusive! 

• Haha (+1) 1

The other statistic I think is important but not easy to find is what percent of the overall population are pitties?  Bred seem to account for 6.5%, bred or mixed are estimated around 20% of the dog population.  Couldn't find a great source from the articles so no citation.

Just to put the attacks in perspective.

6 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

The other statistic I think is important but not easy to find is what percent of the overall population are pitties?  Bred seem to account for 6.5%, bred or mixed are estimated around 20% of the dog population.  Couldn't find a great source from the articles so no citation.

Just to put the attacks in perspective.

Even assuming that 20% is right (seems high but whatever) that means 20% of the dog population is responsible for 66% of attacks that result in a death over the last thirteen years.  Still a bit out of proportion.

Edited by LeviF91