Family Dog (Pit Bull) Kills 26-Day-Old Baby

Gugny

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah....good detective work.  A mut killed a kid. Do some serious research and find me some stats on how many golden retrievers have killed or maimed people. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Goldens all day every day......on my 2nd both growing up with young children who pick, prod, pull, smack, poke, wrestle, etc......a little excitable,  but you couldn't ask for a better breed.  Not a mean bone in the body.

I’m on my 6th Golden. That’s a lot,  partly because I’m old, but also because I had two at once for many years. Gracie is currently 10 and LOVES having my son’s hyper now 18 month old to play with. It gets WILD. She loves it so much, I’ve reached out to the amazing breeder we got her from. We lived in Florida then, but I came up to Georgia to get Gracie because of the bloodline. (The last Golden was an emotional buy from a backyard breeder...thyroid problems, submissive peeing, etc. We loved her 100%, but Do it right!) He may have a litter in May, and I’m on the list! 

For those who have never done it, it is AMAZING how the older dog teaches the younger dog everything they need to know. We can try to train them, but a puppy looks to the older dog and does what they do. I say “stay”, the puppy has zero clue!  But she will look to Gracie (just like my son’s puppy did) and know exactly what to do. It’s very cool and exponentially easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

Out of curiosity, for those owning Pits, do you have liability insurance that would cover you if your dog inflicted injury on someone else?

i always thought a middle ground solution (rather than banning) is requiring insurance. I think some places may do that, and it would probably weed out some potential bad owners. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, BarleyNY said:

If you won’t ever trust a pitbull regardless of circumstance, then I think that’s unfair.  But if people like Gungy want to avoid dogs of that breed that they don’t know to be safe, I don’t blame them.  As I said before, I wouldn’t have a pitbull in the house with small children.  There are other breeds - Akita comes immediately to mind - that I also wouldn’t have around kids.  A pit isn’t just going to just snap one day because they are a pit.  Good dogs are good dogs, but they are still dogs.  And that breed can do some real damage if motivated so there’s no harm in some caution.  Still, I have two friends with two pits each and they are fantastic dogs I trust as much as any other.  

You're a man of judgement here.  A lot of people don't realize that an Akita has points of similarity to the pit bull in temperment.

Man has bred dogs and adapted them to suit our purposes.  Dogs that have been bred to fight - bulls, bears, other dogs - or to protect - are going to have a different underlying breed temperment than dogs that were bred to accompany man on hunts, or to herd, or to pull sleds or do other work, where dog-aggressive or human-aggressive animals were a detriment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m on my 6th Golden. That’s a lot,  partly because I’m old, but also because I had two at once for many years. Gracie is currently 10 and LOVES having my son’s hyper now 18 month old to play with. It gets WILD. She loves it so much, I’ve reached out to the amazing breeder we got her from. We lived in Florida then, but I came up to Georgia to get Gracie because of the bloodline. (The last Golden was an emotional buy from a backyard breeder...thyroid problems, submissive peeing, etc. We loved her 100%, but Do it right!) He may have a litter in May, and I’m on the list! 

For those who have never done it, it is AMAZING how the older dog teaches the younger dog everything they need to know. We can try to train them, but a puppy looks to the older dog and does what they do. I say “stay”, the puppy has zero clue!  But she will look to Gracie (just like my son’s puppy did) and know exactly what to do. It’s very cool and exponentially easier. 

I'd love 2, but it's too much right now. Oddly enough,  when our first died we reached out to a few breeders,  and finally settled on one. We got sully who's coming up on a year now. A month ago,  one of the other breeder we were in contact with notified us they have a new litter and it took everything I had to convince the bride that now isnt the time. I would imagine at some point when the kids get older we'll probably have another.....I always wanted a Newfoundland too. At this stage I'm managing a soon to be a 1 year old golden, a 12 year old fat angry cat and ✌ hermit crabs. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

They do communicate so much more than we think.

Here's an almost spooky example.  When our neighbor's previous dog was a puppy, some 11 years ago, we had a problem with her jumping into our vegetable and flower garden.  With the neighbor's permission, we set up an electric fence wire around the top of the decorative fence.  She got zapped once per garden and never went in them again.  After a year or so, we took the wire down.

In due time, we got a puppy...the neighbor got a puppy, now a huge dog who could step over the decorative fence like it wasn't there.   The old dog passed away.  But both our current dogs, will SCREECH to a halt at that tiny decorative fence even if they're in hot pursuit of a rabbit or squirrel. 

The only thing we can figure is that the old dog they grew up with told them to beware of that fence, it would bite.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Goldens all day every day......on my 2nd both growing up with young children who pick, prod, pull, smack, poke, wrestle, etc......a little excitable,  but you couldn't ask for a better breed.  Not a mean bone in the body.

Generally speaking, I agree with you.  But stuff happens.  I was walking my dog (puggle named Chloe) through my neighborhood.  Suddenly, a golden retriever escaped the back yard of a neighbor and ran straight for my dog.  Chloe immediately went to her back and the dog was snarling and trying to bite her.  Instinctively, I reached down and snatched Chloe up and the dog started to go after me.  That's when her owner came to get his dog.  No one was hurt, but that prick (a doctor) never once apologized.

All that said, I'd never hesitate to approach a golden and if I was ever to own another dog, I'd be fine with one.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Generally speaking, I agree with you.  But stuff happens.  I was walking my dog (puggle named Chloe) through my neighborhood.  Suddenly, a golden retriever escaped the back yard of a neighbor and ran straight for my dog.  Chloe immediately went to her back and the dog was snarling and trying to bite her.  Instinctively, I reached down and snatched Chloe up and the dog started to go after me.  That's when her owner came to get his dog.  No one was hurt, but that prick (a doctor) never once apologized.

All that said, I'd never hesitate to approach a golden and if I was ever to own another dog, I'd be fine with one.

Yeah...I guess you never know for sure. No breed is perfect. There are just some that I'm more skeptical of than others.  Owner responsibility goes a long way too. Seems kind of ignorant that the guy didn't offer some type of apology.....I take my dog a walk around the development most days and usually once every week or two this one little dog runs out onto the road just to sniff around and see my dog which is natural , but the owner always apologizes even if its just a formality. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Out of curiosity, for those owning Pits, do you have liability insurance that would cover you if your dog inflicted injury on someone else?

i always thought a middle ground solution (rather than banning) is requiring insurance. I think some places may do that, and it would probably weed out some potential bad owners. 

Don't know about the US, but in Australia no insurance company would offer anything other than dog health insurance.

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

if you're a homeowner the policy will cover attacks but if you're a renter probably not.  my homeowner policy knows i have a boxer mix which is what the vet put on his registration when i found him even though i dont think he has boxer in him but he is a brindle so he looks like one.  i just got another pit mix a few months back but he's a tiny guy and i think has some jack russell in him maybe.   funny thing is when people come over they always ask if they're friendly and my response is the only one who will bite is my gf's puggle who's a B word when it comes to food. 

a friend of my just had his homeowners insurance policy cancelled in buffalo for having a pit. was there a law change?

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

a friend of my just had his homeowners insurance policy cancelled in buffalo for having a pit. was there a law change?

I think some of those policies have exclusions for owning “vicious breeds” or the insurers maybe cancel the policies if you do own one. He might have to buy a separate insurance policy to cover that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:39 AM, Gugny said:

It does happen with lots of breeds.  I'm sure there's an article out there about a beagle killing someone.  My dog was attacked by a golden retriever.  Do I think golden retrievers are killers?  No. 

It happens exponentially more with pit bulls.  There is not a close second.

I think it's important (whilst discussing this particular topic) to differentiate between dogs that bite and dogs that maul/kill.

Agreed.  Here is my stance on things in my house.  I don't want any pet in the house that could kill me or my kids.  I read an article one time about this couple in Nevada that had like a 10ft boa constrictor.  Of course it got out of it's cage one night & killed the 8 month old baby they had.  I mean you got to be stupid to have a pet like that in your house.  

As far as Pits, I mean the evidence is there.  I guess they do get a bad wrap because a lot of them are mixed.  The difference between them & other dogs there size is once they start in attack mode they aren't stopping.  

I have two Pomeranians.  A lot of people say they are nippy dogs.  My experience with them is they are awesome loving dogs.  The big difference with Poms are if they attack you they might give break the skin on your ankle, they are certainly not going to go for the jugular.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:30 AM, Teddy KGB said:

Gopher owns evil pit 

Wonder if they'll read this https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394

like- if this guy bites someone it 100% gets written into report as 'pitbull'd103309f2036ed36a5f0cda942640bad.jpg

even though it's not and actually probably genetically safer because the terrier is bred out

#statz

• 1 month later...