Family Dog (Pit Bull) Kills 26-Day-Old Baby

Gugny

10 hours ago, teef said:

we have a family friend that was attacked by his pit.  i don't know how old the dog was, but he did have it since it was a puppy.  at the time his daughter was young, (6 or 7) and she wouldn't clean her room.  in a dad fashion, this guy raised his voice for his daughter to do her chores, and it was enough to set the dog off.  it attacked him and did quite a bit of damage to his arm...some permanent.  he told my aunt that all he thought about was how his daughter was going to watch him die.  he managed to get the dog in the bathroom and lock him in.  

no thanks.

very true.  i've been bitten by a chow, (which are known to be aggressive) but it was a quick single bite to the hand and then just walked away.

I was at the Salty Dog (South Beach, Hilton Head, SC) back when they actually allowed dogs. I was there, ummm, A LOT! Usually with my two Goldens. Anyway, one night a fight breaks out between a Golden and a Chow. It was loud and ferocious sounding and everybody was freaking out, shrieking even. I walked up and grabbed this 90 pound Golden by the back of the neck and pulled him away. I wasn’t concerned in the least that he might turn on me, though maybe I should have been. It was over, but people thought I was crazy. No idea where the owners even were. (I don’t know if I even owned a leash back then.) 

It was two males both trying to be the alpha. I would NOT have grabbed the Chow, and this is also the reason I don’t go to dog parks. As one guy put it “lots of alpha owners with their alpha dogs”. I used to work with a guy who was getting a Pitt because “I like to see fear in a man’s eyes”. Something very wrong about that reason.....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What drives me nuts is that Pitt Bulls are now a thing with these hipsters.

There’s a hiking trail we used to go on with the kids, but now stop because these hipsters walk around With their unleashed pit bulls! I once encountered one and picked up my kids in my arms and ran off the trail— the owner was offended. 

One problem many dog owners suffer from is respecting the fact that some people dislike/fear dogs and no amount of contact with Uber-friendly dogs is going to change that.  Especially when it's involuntary contact. 

Lifelong owners especially think everyone loves a friendly dog so no big deal he's off leash and runs up to people.  Not just with pit bulls but that really makes it worse!

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at the Salty Dog (South Beach, Hilton Head, SC) back when they actually allowed dogs. I was there, ummm, A LOT! Usually with my two Goldens. Anyway, one night a fight breaks out between a Golden and a Chow. It was loud and ferocious sounding and everybody was freaking out, shrieking even. I walked up and grabbed this 90 pound Golden by the back of the neck and pulled him away. I wasn’t concerned in the least that he might turn on me, though maybe I should have been. It was over, but people thought I was crazy. No idea where the owners even were. (I don’t know if I even owned a leash back then.) 

It was two males both trying to be the alpha. I would NOT have grabbed the Chow, and this is also the reason I don’t go to dog parks. As one guy put it “lots of alpha owners with their alpha dogs”. I used to work with a guy who was getting a Pitt because “I like to see fear in a man’s eyes”. Something very wrong about that reason.....

i grew up with goldens, so that would have been the dog i grabbed first too.  that being said, i'm sure i wouldn't have touched either dog.  

chows can be nasty.  the chow i referred to was owned by my best friend's parents, and the dog bit everyone.  after multiple attempts to convince them, they would not put the dog down.  finally, on christmas day, my friend's girlfriend, (now wife) was petting the dog while it looked out of their back sliding glass door.  well, that was enough to piss that dog off, and it turned around aggressive towards her.  my friend slowly put himself between the two, and the dog just attacked him.  tore up his arm nicely.  he put the dog down the next day.

16 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’m not a fan of pits.

However, I’m even less of a fan of a parent that would have one around their newborn.

this is the correct answer.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i grew up with goldens, so that would have been the dog i grabbed first too.  that being said, i'm sure i wouldn't have touched either dog.  

chows can be nasty.  the chow i referred to was owned by my best friend's parents, and the dog bit everyone.  after multiple attempts to convince them, they would not put the dog down.  finally, on christmas day, my friend's girlfriend, (now wife) was petting the dog while it looked out of their back sliding glass door.  well, that was enough to piss that dog off, and it turned around aggressive towards her.  my friend slowly put himself between the two, and the dog just attacked him.  tore up his arm nicely.  he put the dog down the next day.

this is the correct answer.

It is the Salty Dog BAR, so there may have been some liquid courage involved.  ? :)

It was actually one of those things that looked and sounded horrendous, but was just a bunch of noise. I hope I don’t get put in a position to make that decision ever again, but all’s well that ends well. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I know people will defend the breed, maybe blame the owners, but I won’t even read the article. I would not want one within 100 miles of my family. I know, “they are so sweet”, but NO! They are too often time bombs. You just can’t hear the ticking. 

Ive been around a lot of Pit Bulls in my life living in Los Angeles.  In my tiny beach neighborhood alone there must be a dozen or more.  To this day, never had one even remotely show aggression.  In fact, every time I have been bit by a dog, its been a small breed dog.  

There are tons of breeds substantially more aggressive than a Pit Bull, but the issue is that in the incident when a Pit Bull is aggressive, they are so strong they can do more damage than most breeds.  Much how Great White sharks are really not the shark to fear as humans.  Its other breeds of sharks that account for most bites, injuries and deaths.  But Great Whites are feared the most given pop culture and their sheer size and damage capability in the incidents that do occur.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive been around a lot of Pit Bulls in my life living in Los Angeles.  In my tiny beach neighborhood alone there must be a dozen or more.  To this day, never had one even remotely show aggression.  In fact, every time I have been bit by a dog, its been a small breed dog.  

There are tons of breeds substantially more aggressive than a Pit Bull, but the issue is that in the incident when a Pit Bull is aggressive, they are so strong they can do more damage than most breeds.  Much how Great White sharks are really not the shark to fear as humans.  Its other breeds of sharks that account for most bites, injuries and deaths.  But Great Whites are feared the most given pop culture and their sheer size and damage capability in the incidents that do occur.  

No argument there. The only dog that ever bit me was a schnauzer. (I hate yappy, nippy little dogs.) The schnauzer could not create any serious damage.  The Pit Bull can. The stakes are much higher. I’m not afraid of water pistols, but guns worry me.

I’ve met some great Pits with great owners, but I don’t like the odds when you include the level of damage possible. It’s a risk/reward thing to me. I hope I don’t try to tell anyone else how to feel, but I pray for avoiding future disasters like the one that spurred this thread. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, bbb said:

I think it's actually because somebody is dead.  

Yes that's true, however, any kind of pitbull attack seems to make the news. The whole Vick dog fighting thing didn't help matters either. Back when that first happened, anytime a pitbull looked at someone it seemed to be in the news. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yes that's true, however, any kind of pitbull attack seems to make the news. The whole Vick dog fighting thing didn't help matters either. Back when that first happened, anytime a pitbull looked at someone it seemed to be in the news. 

I honestly do not remember those headlines. When they make the news, it’s generally for good reason. 

They maybe don’t bite more than the annoying, yappy little dogs, but it’s the persistence and the consequences that make the difference. That’s hard to deny. 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, i would think most people walking on a trail with an unleashed dog of any kind are pretty dang close to 100% their dog aint gunna hurt anyone. When we are in DC, its funny to see the reactions to our pitty mix at the dog park. Been in a few conversations about how we should not have him there, then they see him runnin around with all the dogs, being submissive to EVERY dog there..and still some people cant get past his looks

..all the while its my chow lab mix i cant let off the leash and everyone would be  just fine with him till he took issue with another dominant male dog....(btw, i do not take my lab mix to the dog park as that would be irresponsible) ,

You are probably correct, the question is how close to reality their perception may be.  Some people, like yourself perhaps, know their dogs well and behave responsibly.  Others....

Others seem to assume it's their God Given Right to let their dog off leash and anyone else with a dog that doesn't want a dog running up on theirs (in areas where leash is required) should send them advanced notice, registered mail, return receipt requested.  And I was once bitten upon the buttocks by a beagle mix whose owner (as it landed with a piece of my running tights in its mouth) assured me "he wouldn't hurt anyone!"

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

If you have two dogs fighting in a room containing a young infant, and you walk into the room, why wouldn't you first remove the infant?

SMH

The breed of dog we have is good with children, but the dog we had at the time our kid was born was a rescue and I never ever left her alone with the baby

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Augie said:

No argument there. The only dog that ever bit me was a schnauzer. (I hate yappy, nippy little dogs.) The schnauzer could not create any serious damage.  The Pit Bull can. The stakes are much higher. I’m not afraid of water pistols, but guns worry me.

I’ve met some great Pits with great owners, but I don’t like the odds when you include the level of damage possible. It’s a risk/reward thing to me. I hope I don’t try to tell anyone else how to feel, but I pray for avoiding future disasters like the one that spurred this thread. 

Yeah, it’s definitely a breed I always take more caution with, especially if my dogs are around.  Not because I’m afraid of the breed, but because a lot them are rescues and it’s hard to know what they went through before the current owners got them.  So you always want to err on the side of caution given the damage potential if one got unexpectedly triggered for something.

Most the ones in my neighborhood were acquired as baby puppies, so all they have known is being social on the beach with people, kids, and other dogs.  And they are the most loving and sweetest animals and have been for years.  

But if I meet one out that I don’t know, I certainly err on the side of caution, especially in LA where you never how the dog was raised to be.  

At the end of the day, they are mostly a wonderful breed where tragic instances like this are rare compared to the amount animals that exist.  Just when there is an incident they are a strong and powerful animal.  Truth be told, they aren’t even the most dangerous dog.  Just like I said about great whites earlier not being the most dangerous shark even though the public generally believes they are. For example, Rottweilers are actually more of a threat (although everyone of them I have known has been super sweet too).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For example, Rottweilers are actually more of a threat (although everyone of them I have known has been super sweet too).  

Do you have any statistics that show this?

When out for walks people who allow their dogs off leash will often yell  " dont worry he or she is friendly"....that's all fine and good but maybe my dog ISN'T so friendly around other dogs...people dont stop to think they are putting their own pet in danger in those situations.. Pittie owners Yes need to be Very responsible owners especially because the stigma is so strong against them that no matter the circumstances  they will be named the guilty dog in a dog fight even when not the instigator.  Dog parks are also a bad idea for that very reason.

Don't get me started on Michael Vick SMH ..I hope karma bites that guy but good. Dog torturer......SMH

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities.php

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-multi-year-fatality-report-2005-2017.php

"In the 13-year period of 2005 to 2017, canines killed 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% (284) of these deaths. Within this period, deaths attributed to pit bulls rose from 58% (2005 to 2010) to 71% (2011 to 2017), a 22% rise.1 [Table 2]

The 13-year data set shows the combination of pit bulls, rottweilers and "baiting" bull breeds, fighting and guardian breeds -- American bulldogs, mastiffs, bullmastiffs, presa canarios, and cane corsos -- contributed to over 80% of all dog bite fatalities."

Table 2

"A chart that breaks down the 13-year data set into two periods (6- and 7-years respectively) shows the rise of pit bull fatalities between the two periods and the fall of rottweiler-inflicted deaths."

2-period-13-years-dog-bite-fatalities-20

That's... 3 people a month get killed by a dog in the US. Take Pits out of equation and 1 person a month is killed.

Associated tables

Table 1

Illustrates the breeds of dogs involved in fatal attacks on humans over the last 13-year period. 20 different dog breeds each inflicted 1 death (0.2%) and are excluded from this table.

Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Attacks on Humans (2005-2017)
Breed Deaths % of Total
Pit bull 284 65.6%
Rottweiler 45 10.4%
German shepherd 20 4.6%
Mixed-breed 17 3.9%
American bulldog 15 3.5%
Mastiff/bullmastiff 14 3.2%
Husky 13 3.0%
Unknown/unreleased 11 2.5%
Labrador retriever 9 2.1%
Boxer 7 1.6%
Doberman pinscher 6 1.4%
Alaskan malamute 4 0.9%
Golden retriever 4 0.9%
Heeler/Australian cattle dog 4 0.9%
Cane corso 3 0.7%
Chow chow 3 0.7%
Wolf-dog hybrid 3 0.7%
Presa canario 2 0.5%
Japanese akita 2 0.5%
Australian shepherd 2 0.5%
Belgian malinois 2 0.5%

Bullmastiff 6, English mastiff 2, Italian mastiff 1, mastiff (unspecified) 4, Neapolitan mastiff 1.