Bills potential interest in Pats UFA LG Joe Thuney?

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Not seeing this as a likely target by Beane, RT is the question mark on the O line, Beane is “usually” unwilling to pay stupid money at “almost” every position, so this one is likely not a consideration.

Go Bills!!!

I think this is yet to be seen, right? I think we'll know more when it's time to pay JA, Edumunds, Tre, Milano, Shaq, Phillips, etc. It'll be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Spain for 2-3 years nothing more. 

Yeah I tend to agree. I think he had a pretty good year, I'd love to see if he can continue that. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Why would you trade for an UFA?

Take it easy on ALLEN1QB.  When Buffalo signs Thunney, let him go on thinking Beane fleeced Bellicick in a trade.  Thunney for ann undisclosed future UDFA.

• Like (+1) 1

Never Pay a PATS OLmen unless Scarneccia is coming with them.  And with his retirement he wont be

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

How are the jets just handing out yearly monster deals? 

Because the Cap doesnt matter as much as people think.  And an Owner flush with Cash can always skirt the cap

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Never Pay a PATS OLmen unless Scarneccia is coming with them.  And with his retirement he wont be

Because the Cap doesnt matter as much as people think.  And an Owner flush with Cash can always skirt the cap

Tell that to the Falcons. That there’s a cap nightmare.

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

So you sign Spain for 6-7 a year or this guy for 10-12? 

I think Thuney next to Dawson and Morse would be unbelievable. 

I'm sure there are internal debates going on about this. If we can get Spain at 5-6/ yr over 3 years, I think you'd have to do that. 

I’m pretty sure Thuney and Scherff are going to sign in the neighborhood of $13MM-$14MM. I doubt Beane wants to pay that for a G, but I could be wrong. Still, we should start looking at some of the guys in Spain’s tier or slightly above. Graham Glasgow (det) comes to mind. No clue if he fits what Daboll wants, but he’ll probably be in that $6MM-$8MM range.

41 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I think this is yet to be seen, right? I think we'll know more when it's time to pay JA, Edumunds, Tre, Milano, Shaq, Phillips, etc. It'll be interesting for sure.

Yeah I tend to agree. I think he had a pretty good year, I'd love to see if he can continue that. 

Not meaning our guys per say, but rather outsider FA signings, hence, “usually and almost” still don’t think the pats FA is a realistic consideration, I see Spain being resigned for far less, but no one can say absolutely at this point. 

Go Bills!!!

5 years / 75Mil .... 15 Mil a year for a guard?  That seems pretty expensive no?

If you are going to pay that for a position.... Get a RT.  Then draft a G and/or move Ford into Guard.

There are going to be some positions on your team that you just cannot pay a lot of money for when their is a salary cap.  Try to keep filling those positions with cheap players or draft picks until they get expensive. 

I'd rather have a 15Mil WR than a 15Mil Guard, IMO.

IMO, Beane is applying Moneyball to this team.  Find diamonds in the rough that people do not appreciate and pay them a modest salary to save money for other positions of need.

Edited by hjnick

I'd love to see this happen. Add Conklin who is now an average OT and let Ford compete with Spain for the other G spot. I guess it sepends how much Spain's market value is, but his teammates really seem to want him to come back -- especially Josh.

14 hours ago, hjnick said:

5 years / 75Mil .... 15 Mil a year for a guard?  That seems pretty expensive no?

If you are going to pay that for a position.... Get a RT.  Then draft a G and/or move Ford into Guard.

There are going to be some positions on your team that you just cannot pay a lot of money for when their is a salary cap.  Try to keep filling those positions with cheap players or draft picks until they get expensive. 

I'd rather have a 15Mil WR than a 15Mil Guard, IMO.

IMO, Beane is applying Moneyball to this team.  Find diamonds in the rough that people do not appreciate and pay them a modest salary to save money for other positions of need.

Can't argue with that, but there are no really good OT's hitting the FA market this year and besides, if that's the going rate for an all-pro G, I'd still pay it. we need to keep upgrading this OL. It's a long way from finished. We went from bottom 3 to average this year. That was a big step. Now let's take the next step. There re going to be a lot of good OT's available in this draft and if we can get a G and Edge rusher in FA. I want a beastly OL. They will make all of our skill players look better.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Can't argue with that, but there are no really good OT's hitting the FA market this year and besides, if that's the going rate for an all-pro G, I'd still pay it. we need to keep upgrading this OL. It's a long way from finished. We went from bottom 3 to average this year. That was a big step. Now let's take the next step. There re going to be a lot of good OT's available in this draft and if we can get a G and Edge rusher in FA. I want a beastly OL. They will make all of our skill players look better.

I get the feeling the Bills aren't satisfied with their Oline and want to upgrade at LG.  Curious to see how they accomplish it.

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If you get the All Star G and draft an OT to play RT, what do you do with Ford?  Backup?

I wonder what the coaches and GM think how good of a job Ford did this season at OT.  Did he do enough for them to keep him there? 

On a side note, I think it's great that we can discuss these things.  Love pretending to be a GM... :)  I wonder if the Bills have a whole department where all they do is breakdown current and college players to access them just for the offseason and/or if a trade comes up in the middle of the season.   

4 minutes ago, hjnick said:

If you get the All Star G and draft an OT to play RT, what do you do with Ford?  Backup?

I wonder what the coaches and GM think how good of a job Ford did this season at OT.  Did he do enough for them to keep him there? 

On a side note, I think it's great that we can discuss these things.  Love pretending to be a GM... :)  I wonder if the Bills have a whole department where all they do is breakdown current and college players to access them just for the offseason and/or if a trade comes up in the middle of the season.   

I mean - didn't he have surgery like the day the season ended?  These guys were banged up for sure.  I do think they still think Ford is the guy at RT.  Hence going for an upgrade at LG.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, machine gun kelly said:

agreed.  We don’t need to spend that kind of $ in free agency, when we should just sign Spain as he played well for us.

I think replacing players who played well sort of defeats the "family" and "we take care of our own" philosophy Bills have cited. That does not mean just anyone can borrow dad's jaguar.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, whatdrought said:

I really wouldn't love this... Would much rather throw a stack at Jack Conklin and put Ford at Guard. 

I was thinking the same things.  I think it would be better for our line to sign Conklin and move  Ford to LG.  

Edited by auburnbillsbacker
  • Like (+1) 1