Bills potential interest in Pats UFA LG Joe Thuney?

YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Thuney might be a good guard. But I am NEVER paying a patriot offensive lineman. 
Has anyone ever left there from the O line and been good? There is monster free agent busts on patriot linemen. Something about New England and that line seems to work there but the guys fall off a cliff when they leave. Is it the refs letting them hold non stop? Just the scheme? I do not know. I would not pay top dollar for any linemen from that team though. 

This guy is very athletic and does everything well and stays healthy. I agree that certain O-Line are system based but I think Thuney is the real deal. 

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This guy is very athletic and does everything well and stays healthy. I agree that certain O-Line are system based but I think Thuney is the real deal. 

The question is are we going to be zone blocking or power blocking. It makes all the difference in the O-lineman you want, to me with us having bigger guys like Felciano and Spain I think we're more power based yet never really studied the Oline last season what we were running. 

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I assume they mean Kroft but I guess it could be Lee Smith. 

Doesn't seem like much of any leverage to me.  Why would a guy looking for a $75 million contract give a fig about Kroft or Lee Smith??

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is he just making stuff up out of thin air or is he hearing things from #sources and they end up wrong? These types of things (FA interest) are tough to say he was wrong ... because it doesn’t mean they will sign with the team, only that the team is interested and there is agency connections with other players that might assist with that effort. 

I don't know his exact schtick but it seems like he makes a lot of guesses based on team needs and who players have as agents. His Twitter profile says he is an "NFL Insider" but doesn't say how he got those connections. Is he a media guy? Former scout? His profile says he is a "frequent contributor on national radio." Ok... what national radio? I listen to plenty of spots radio and never heard him before.

It would help if his predictions made sense. The Bills have not brought in many big ticket free agents since McDermott got here, and if we're going to sign one or two this offseason a LG doesn't fit our needs. Just because Kroft is his agent, that means we're tied to him? We could just re-sign Spain or move Ford to that spot so I'll be surprised if we spend big money there.

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m not knocking him, I haven’t watched him closely to see if he’s any good or not. But, can we name one offensive lineman to come out of New England and be successful? I even did a quick look just to kinda reference it but every lineman I find from there is terrible after. 

This brings up an interesting issue. The Pats have for years benefited from Brady being the QB and getting the ball out quick. With it looking more and more like Brady won’t be back, or if he is not as good, the Pats will need to find a different approach. 
I have heard the theory that the Pats will plug another QB in and be just the same. I don’t think it’s going to be that easy. If it was wouldn’t that devalue Brady’s legacy? 

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This brings up an interesting issue. The Pats have for years benefited from Brady being the QB and getting the ball out quick. With it looking more and more like Brady won’t be back, or if he is not as good, the Pats will need to find a different approach. 
I have heard the theory that the Pats will plug another QB in and be just the same. I don’t think it’s going to be that easy. If it was wouldn’t that devalue Brady’s legacy? 

I think they have already began the transition the last two years. Establishing a better run game with Michel and the short pass game with white and Edelman. I think that’s the offense they’ll go with regardless if it’s Brady or another non mobile quarterback. 
I have also guessed a few times they may trade for cam newton or sign Mariota and try their own version of the Baltimore wildcat offense and mimic them. The way they have tried to run the ball and play solid defense should keep them in the hunt with or without Brady. 

22 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not knocking him, I haven’t watched him closely to see if he’s any good or not. But, can we name one offensive lineman to come out of New England and be successful? I even did a quick look just to kinda reference it but every lineman I find from there is terrible after. 

I agree, you have to really put in some time when signing a O-Lineman from the Patriots. I just got done looking at some college games, highlight reels, combine and super bowl performance against Aaron Donald. 

To me he looks like a all pro guard who can play every position on the O-Line and stays healthy. He appears to check every box for a big contact.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think they have already began the transition the last two years. Establishing a better run game with Michel and the short pass game with white and Edelman. I think that’s the offense they’ll go with regardless if it’s Brady or another non mobile quarterback. 
I have also guessed a few times they may trade for cam newton or sign Mariota and try their own version of the Baltimore wildcat offense and mimic them. The way they have tried to run the ball and play solid defense should keep them in the hunt with or without Brady. 

I get what you are saying, but I just don’t see it working. 
I think the mental edge the Pats  possessed will be gone without Belichick and Brady. I really think in 2 years Belichick will be gone and the Pats will be in full blown rebuild.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speaking of Conklin.. not sure how informed this guy is but he tweeted this last night as well

If the Jets are in on him I would expect their intention is to pay him as, and initially try him at, left tackle. If that is the case then I think everyone else (including Buffalo) is out on him.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If the Jets are in on him I would expect their intention is to pay him as, and initially try him at, left tackle. If that is the case then I think everyone else (including Buffalo) is out on him.

It looks like he could be a solid fill in if your starting LT goes down but I doubt a team signs him at starting LT money to play LT. 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s referring to the agent, not Thune

Meh.   Agents work with most teams.   I don't see how the Kroft relationship gives the Bills a "3-D chess" advantage.     

As someone else suggested, it sounds like the agent ( https://prioritysports.biz/football/ ) whispering in Forbes ear to drum up rumors.   Or make New England come to the table to keep him away from division rivals...

Edited by Lurker

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It looks like he could be a solid fill in if your starting LT goes down but I doubt a team signs him at starting LT money to play LT. 

If I was the Jets and didn't have a left tackle, I'd happily sign Conklin to play there. I have always had the view that he can be an NFL left tackle. He played left tackle at Michigan State and while I don't think he is likely an elite NFL LT I think he could play to a Dion Dawkins, top half of the league type level.

So you sign Spain for 6-7 a year or this guy for 10-12? 

I think Thuney next to Dawson and Morse would be unbelievable. 

I'm sure there are internal debates going on about this. If we can get Spain at 5-6/ yr over 3 years, I think you'd have to do that. 

Edited by warrior9

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If I was the Jets and didn't have a left tackle, I'd happily sign Conklin to play there. I have always had the view that he can be an NFL left tackle. He played left tackle at Michigan State and while I don't think he is likely an elite NFL LT I think he could play to a Dion Dawkins, top half of the league type level.

He reminds me a lot of Jonah Williams, he has short arms but has great agility and feet to recover. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thuney plays LT at a high level. 

13 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

So you sign Spain for 6-7 a year or this guy for 10-12? 

I think Thuney next to Dawson and Morse would be unbelievable. 

I'm sure there are internal debates going on about this. If we can get Spain at 5-6/ yr over 3 years, I think you'd have to do that. 

Spain for 2-3 years nothing more. 

Not seeing this as a likely target by Beane, RT is the question mark on the O line, Beane is “usually” unwilling to pay stupid money at “almost” every position, so this one is likely not a consideration.

Go Bills!!!