Bills potential interest in Pats UFA LG Joe Thuney?

YoloinOhio

The general board sentiments of avoiding prior Pats Offensive Linemen rings true in my ears. But....this is a different FO and a different coaching staff. IF, and that's a big IF, Beane and company believe Thuney is worth the money and investment, despite my PTSD reaction to big money contracts to FA OL due to past regimes, I will trust Beane and his merry band of FO mates. They have absolutely earned that right  based on how they've done over the last couple of years on the whole. Nobody is perfect, but they have generally done a terrific job in adding pieces via FA and the Draft. 

44 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

agreed.  We don’t need to spend that kind of $ in free agency, when we should just sign Spain as he played well for us.

we absolutely do need to spend just not sure if the highest paid guard/center combo with him and Morse is the premium ROI for the dollars. 

I like a good interior line but seems we have options to save here and spend elsewhere 

I just watched some super bowl game tape and read up on how Thuney did against Aaron Donald. Still need to watch a little more but this guy stonewalled the best D-Lineman in the NFL in that SB. Thuney’s main responsibility was Donald and he had him solo 13 times and didn’t make any mistakes in keeping Donald from taking over that game. He is entering his prime and looks to be well worth the investment.

35 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Hell,  I'm still waiting for the last Patriot player the Bills signed, LaAdrian Waddle to step onto the field. 

Injuries happen, I'd bring Waddle back next year, as he did start as an undrafted rookie in Detroit his first two seasons when our O-line coach was there. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

The Pats never overpay and they have always been able to turn middling o-line talents into rock stars. But usually their stars are not able to replicate the same success elsewhere. 

Brady usually gets rid of the ball quickly or throws it away, or in the dirt in front of him because he rarely if ever gets called for intentional grounding.

Their o-linemen usually do not have to hold their blocks as long. Also, they have had the services of arguably one of the best offensive line coaches still active last year to coach up a unit - Scarnecchia. Looks like he is hanging up the whistle for good this time so good news for Buffalo. He ranked right up there with the best in the business Hanifan, Bugal, the homer in me always though McNally was pretty darn good too.

I don't see the Bills getting into a bidding war for a guard sitting near the top of the FA pool, but who knows. I could see them going after a cheap FA someone like Van Roten because they take chances on players who are dinged up but were playing at a high level if they feel they can get them back into playing shape. He would come far cheaper than the FA guard top-list targets, and there is the Carolina connection.

I agree that the Bills won’t overpay for him.

anything to hurt the Pats. 

9 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Thuney will be a FA. #2 ranked guard this year.

Projected 5 yrs $75M with $33.9M guaranteed....that’s a lot of $ for an IOL.

I don't trust any Pat player to have the same level of performance when he goes to another team.  Very few of them have played at a high level after leaving NE.  Notable exception has been Chandler Jones who has been a baller for the Cardinals, going to 2 Pro Bowls since leaving and becoming a 2 time All-Pro. Certainly not a good enough track record to pay that kind of money to a guard. But I mean is there any justification to EVER paying that kind of money to a guard??  The position just doesn't make enough of a difference in the grand scheme of things to justify it. 

Just kick Ford inside or draft a guard in the 3rd or 4th round that you can plug in.

Edited by matter2003

As usual, most of the comments already made on this subject have it exactly correct.  There are better options available than Thuney based on a cost vs. talent comparison.  Brady received more pressure up the middle than he had in previous years.  It's pretty telling that the Cheatriots extended one interior lineman and not Thuney.  They obviously didn't think he was worth keeping around at a price that he would demand.  Beane won't break the bank for a marginal upgrade (if it is an upgrade at all). 

Thuney might be a good guard. But I am NEVER paying a patriot offensive lineman. 
Has anyone ever left there from the O line and been good? There is monster free agent busts on patriot linemen. Something about New England and that line seems to work there but the guys fall off a cliff when they leave. Is it the refs letting them hold non stop? Just the scheme? I do not know. I would not pay top dollar for any linemen from that team though. 

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Drive up the price so either Pats overpay and hurts them with other signings or he leaves which hurts the Pats too.

IMO the Pats* aren't paying anything close to that price tag for him.  Thusly, he will not be back with the Pats*.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Joe Thuney’s game. I’m out on signing him for big money. I think this team can get close to equal play by sliding Ford to guard, or simply re-sign Spain for half of what Tunes gets on the open market and make do with Spain being 75% of the player that Thuney is.

My concern at RT is limited to Nsekhe’s health. He was fine at RT; clearly better than Ford. I’d be okay signing a swing OT and drafting a guy to take over for Ty in 2021. 

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Chad Forbes has a track record of being wrong. He's an Incarcerated Bob wannabe.

Is he just making stuff up out of thin air or is he hearing things from #sources and they end up wrong? These types of things (FA interest) are tough to say he was wrong ... because it doesn’t mean they will sign with the team, only that the team is interested and there is agency connections with other players that might assist with that effort. 

Interesting..  I would've thought we might be in on a RT given Feliciano's ability to play G/C, the potential re-signing of Spain and Ford's ability to play G. 

Does this indicate they feel good about Ford's 2nd year jump at RT?

I certainly don't hate investing in the OL, so if this is who they like, I trust them.