Bills potential interest in Pats UFA LG Joe Thuney?

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What’s his marker value?

The NFL guard market has ballooned in recent years, aided first by the

Jacksonville Jaguarssigning unrestricted free agent Andrew Norwell to a five-year, $66.5 million contract with $30 million in bonuses/guarantees in March 2018. That set the stage, a few months later, for Dallas Cowboys guard Zack Martin to receive a six-year, $84 million extension.

So it has the potential to be a bonanza for Thuney, who joins Washington's Brandon Scherff as the top two free-agent guards.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4819109/patriots-joe-thuney-could-command-monster-contract-in-free-agency%3fplatform=amp

3 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

No way I trade any player to NE. 

Thuney will be a FA. #2 ranked guard this year.

Projected 5 yrs $75M with $33.9M guaranteed....that’s a lot of $ for an IOL.

5 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

No way I trade any player to NE. 

I don’t think it’s about trading anyone unless I’m reading it wrong. I think he’s saying they have leverage with thuney’s agent because of a TE they paid last year. I assume they mean Kroft but I guess it could be Lee Smith. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Drive up the price so either Pats overpay and hurts them with other signings or he leaves which hurts the Pats too.

I don’t think the Pats can afford him based on what I’ve read. They just gave their other G Shaq Mason a big contract extension. 

Thuney was named second-team Associated Press All-Pro, and had a 97% pass-block win-rate, according to ESPN's metric that uses NFL Next Gen Stats' tracking devices to chart which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. That 97% mark was second best among all guards, behind Baltimore's Marshal Yanda.

"I just don't know if he's going to be in New England's price range," Woody said. "If he hits the open market, there might be a lot of money he might not be able to turn down."

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Drive up the price so either Pats overpay and hurts them with other signings or he leaves which hurts the Pats too.

The Pats never overpay and they have always been able to turn middling o-line talents into rock stars. But usually their stars are not able to replicate the same success elsewhere. 

Brady usually gets rid of the ball quickly or throws it away, or in the dirt in front of him because he rarely if ever gets called for intentional grounding.

Their o-linemen usually do not have to hold their blocks as long. Also, they have had the services of arguably one of the best offensive line coaches still active last year to coach up a unit - Scarnecchia. Looks like he is hanging up the whistle for good this time so good news for Buffalo. He ranked right up there with the best in the business Hanifan, Bugal, the homer in me always though McNally was pretty darn good too.

I don't see the Bills getting into a bidding war for a guard sitting near the top of the FA pool, but who knows. I could see them going after a cheap FA someone like Van Roten because they take chances on players who are dinged up but were playing at a high level if they feel they can get them back into playing shape. He would come far cheaper than the FA guard top-list targets, and there is the Carolina connection.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

Thuney will be a FA. #2 ranked guard this year.

Projected 5 yrs $75M with $33.9M guaranteed....that’s a lot of $ for an IOL.

I'd love to get Thuney, but if that's the neighborhood he'll be in, I don't see our FO signing him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd love to get Thuney, but if that's the neighborhood he'll be in, I don't see our FO signing him.

No chance .. if they are signing a Guard in FA in 2020 it will be Spain for about 40% of that ( on a per year basis)

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No chance .. if they are signing a Guard in FA in 2020 it will be Spain for about 40% of that ( on a per year basis)

I think you are right there, and it makes my heart kind of sore because I really feel we need an OL upgrade. 

I really like Spain, but there 's a reason Tennessee upgraded for him resulting in improved run blocking.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Must have same agent as Kroft? 

Boy that sure reads like an agent trying to drum up business....

• Like (+1) 2