PFF's Big Board (I know I know, but hear me out)

DCOrange

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Glad that caught traction. Seriously, my biggest fear with him as a prospect. 

IDK. I will say that every time I watched a Clemson game this year I came away wanting Justyn Ross instead of Higgins. Being in NY instead of Carolina this fall limited my viewing options though. 

I see it like drafting Ford last year.  If Ford doesnt make it as a RT he we still make a good Guard.  With Shenault if say he has a start of his career like Zay Jones outside.   He could very well be a pro bowl level returnman, and a dynamic gadget guy on offense.  Zay you cut ties with, Shenault still gives you value.  Mckenzie made a few plays, but also left others on the feild.  Shenault in that position is a real problem for defenses and has the size to make the plays down field Mckenzie could not.  The more you can do.  You got Jeudy and Lamb then there is everyone else imo.  Shenualt needs to learn the X and in the mean time adds a playmaker you design plays for.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Let's go get two of 'em.  I don't really care which ones.

Here is what I think is a LEGIT possibility...

I could see us easily going DE in the first given the extreme depth at WR and then looking to scoop up someone like Pittman in the 2nd.  If we do that, would not shock me in the least to draft a 2nd WR somewhere in the 4th/5th rounds given their is strong possibility at our picks in those rounds WR may just be BPA on the board.  

I am all for taking a WR in the first still of course, but if the right DE is there and we didn't make a big signing in FA, then I think that is a more plausible direction and I am fine with that given the talent at WR that will still be on the board in the 2nd.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

Actually I am, but the way the Bills have handled their young QB makes me go bananas. I love a lot about where this team is, but some things I don’t know how we’ll address. It is just torture that we NEEDED receiver help for Allen more than anything else. Two of the best ones to come along in a decade were there for the taking in the 2nd round and we took a Tackle that people thought would have to move to guard instead. This isn’t hindsight either, it should have been a no brainer last year.

We had a really easy schedule this year and if our team doesn’t blow a couple winnable games we could have had homefield advantage in the playoffs and possibly wound up playing this weekend. Great that the team is getting better, but sometimes these missed opportunities are the best chance you ever get. I worry that we blew our best chance at a SB run with McD this year. I don’t think our schedule or injuries will be as manageable next year.

Two of the best in a decade? 
Idk about that. They both had really nice rookie years. But who knows about long term. To say best in a decade is a bit far fetched. 

And while it’s still early, last years class was seen to be a bit of a disappointing group. Whereas this year is looking to be the best group since the Watkins group. 

Let’s see how this all turns out before rushing to judgement. Out of last years draft they got, a starting DT(Oliver), a probable starting OL(Ford), a starting RB(Singletary), a starting caliber TE(Knox), a potential starting safety down the road (J. Johnson).

So 4 starters, 3 on offense and solid depth for the defense as well. 

And if we need to rely on the schedule to make a super bowl run, how are we even super bowl caliber? Also, as for getting home field, we were better in the road anyways, so you can’t say for sure home field would’ve helped. 

You’re basically assuming that drafting one of Brown or Metcalf would’ve put us over the top. That’s not for certain because no one knows how either would’ve played in this offense. Metcalf wouldn’t have a top-5 QB throwing him the ball. And Brown wouldn’t have had limited coverages because teams were loading 8 in the box to stop Henry.

It’s all relative. I’m happy with where the team’s at and believe they have a plan in place. I do believe they scout ahead as well and determined to get veteran receivers for Allen first, and then supplement those this year with what they and many have predicted would be one of the deepest WR classes in years. Most analysts have over 10 receivers in their top-50 players and many have 17-20 in their top-100 players. This is also a class with 6QB’s predicted to go in the top-50 as well, so that can cause other positions to get pushed further down. We will have ample opportunity this off-season to draft big, skilled WR’s. And don’t forget, we did draft Knox out of that group of Ole Miss guys who were not used properly. He could be the gem of the bunch. People forget the kid played QB in high school and only caught 39 balls in 3yrs he actually played at Ole Miss. He was mostly used as a blocker. Give him an off-season to work on his ball skills. I bet next year he breaks out a bit, 45-50catches, 600-700yd type season

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Estro said:

I compared Shenault to Patterson in last weeks Mel Kiper mock draft thread, I guess I'm no the only one who doesn't really see a refined WR in Shenault.

Nope. The idea has been floating a bit, and now that everyone is starting to go back and look at tape more are seeing it. I’m still not sure how much of his disappearances at WR are on him or the rest of that offense though. There were a few games where he was clearly above and beyond his teammates in talent and the whole offense looked bad as a result. 

26 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I see it like drafting Ford last year.  If Ford doesnt make it as a RT he we still make a good Guard.  With Shenault if say he has a start of his career like Zay Jones outside.   He could very well be a pro bowl level returnman, and a dynamic gadget guy on offense.  Zay you cut ties with, Shenault still gives you value.  Mckenzie made a few plays, but also left others on the feild.  Shenault in that position is a real problem for defenses and has the size to make the plays down field Mckenzie could not.  The more you can do.  You got Jeudy and Lamb then there is everyone else imo.  Shenualt needs to learn the X and in the mean time adds a playmaker you design plays for.

I fully understand this point of view, and it’s valid. I’m just not sure if that’s where we should go with the first pick. I personally would want an additional hedge at WR whether that’s another rookie like Van Jefferson or a FA addition. Usually guys like Shenault tend to be that last piece for an offense. Undoubtedly I’d love to replace McKenzie with Shenault, but there’s also the possibility that you can get a similar skill set from a guy like Ty Montgomery.... or even utilize some of the same plays with a LaMical Perine or a Kenyon Drake. We’ll see how this plays out as the draft process unfolds. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't like him much either. To me, Cordarrelle Patterson 2.0 and that would be a waste of a 1st. 

If he doesn’t have the speed to separate, I just don’t see how he gets open on Sundays.  He’s a below average route runner, so it’s not like he can rely on technique to get free.  He’s a special athlete who can big brother lesser players in college, but NFL corners are all great athletes.  It’s great when a receiver can go up and high point a contested throw, but I’d prefer someone who can just get open.  Relying on making contested catches is a losing strategy.  Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson could do that, but they could also run right by DBs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Jeez.  Jefferson that low?... if we could get him in the 2nd round, that’d be tremendous.  Honestly, I wouldn’t be upset taking him in the 1st round.  

He'll likely be graded out in the second when all is said and done with the combine, but he impressed enough this past week to stand out for sure. Honestly, if you want Jeudy without being able to take him, Van is likely your closest skillset over the rest of the WR field. Given the depth, I'd love for us not to over-extend our hand in the 1st and go more BPA there, and have a pick of the WR lot in the 2nd. Van Jeff, KJ Hill, and Claypool were thought to have upped their stock with their senior bowl week shows. Mims is another name to watch after this week, but still not entirely sold on him as high as the 2nd.

Any of those three (Van Jeff, Hill, Claypool) would be nice to have the second day of the draft. With this depth, it'll be really interesting to see who ends up sliding not just in the 1st, but even the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IDK. I will say that every time I watched a Clemson game this year I came away wanting Justyn Ross instead of Higgins. Being in NY instead of Carolina this fall limited my viewing options though. 

Agreed - if there's two receivers I'm not sold on it's Higgins and Pittman. Especially for Higgins in the first.

To mix it up - I also wouldn't mind seeing Uche, Bartch, Josh Jones, or Cushenberry's names pop up at some point. Depending on how FA and the first round goes, any of those guys would help us. 

3 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Agreed - if there's two receivers I'm not sold on it's Higgins and Pittman. Especially for Higgins in the first.

To mix it up - I also wouldn't mind seeing Uche, Bartch, Josh Jones, or Cushenberry's names pop up at some point. Depending on how FA and the first round goes, any of those guys would help us. 

Well, this is who they met with at the senior bowl. 

Michigan EDGE Josh Uche

Utah EDGE Bradlee Anae

Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk

Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool

Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

Arizona State RB Eno Benjamin

Uche is definitely on the radar. I still think that Beane has a hard on for Epenesa, and might trade up to the mid teens if he lasts like Edmunds. 

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Incredibly fast so I think he'll have his fair share of splash plays, but his hands aren't great and his route running isn't great.  It'd be tough for me to draft a WR in the 1st round that doesn't have great hands.  He also gets knicked up a lot, he's built wiry almost like Marquise Goodwin, and those type of bodies tend to get banged up in the NFL

Higgins is the guy from this group I definitely don't want. He was mostly negated by the physical play of OSU and LSU CB's at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

have not seen alot of video on Shenault so help me out.  Should the 4.55 speed figure be a concern?  At that figure, I don't see him being able to get open downfield.  Maybe that's not his thing, but it's a factor to think about.  Maybe he has other skills that make up for this item.  

Moulds said he ran a 4.50. At roughly the same size. Rarely had a problem. I know every situation is different, but I’m not that worried about a 4.5 guy. By comparison, Zay Jones ran a 4.45, and I felt like he struggled separating sometimes. More to it than just straight line speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Incredibly fast so I think he'll have his fair share of splash plays, but his hands aren't great and his route running isn't great.  It'd be tough for me to draft a WR in the 1st round that doesn't have great hands.  He also gets knicked up a lot, he's built wiry almost like Marquise Goodwin, and those type of bodies tend to get banged up in the NFL

Plus he's short.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Nope. The idea has been floating a bit, and now that everyone is starting to go back and look at tape more are seeing it. I’m still not sure how much of his disappearances at WR are on him or the rest of that offense though. There were a few games where he was clearly above and beyond his teammates in talent and the whole offense looked bad as a result. 

I fully understand this point of view, and it’s valid. I’m just not sure if that’s where we should go with the first pick. I personally would want an additional hedge at WR whether that’s another rookie like Van Jefferson or a FA addition. Usually guys like Shenault tend to be that last piece for an offense. Undoubtedly I’d love to replace McKenzie with Shenault, but there’s also the possibility that you can get a similar skill set from a guy like Ty Montgomery.... or even utilize some of the same plays with a LaMical Perine or a Kenyon Drake. We’ll see how this plays out as the draft process unfolds. 

Right now a McKenzie replacement is probably way down Beane's list of priorities.  When they do get a receiver in either the draft or free agency, I believe they will be looking for a guy with decent size, speed and hands to play outside opposite Brown.  I think they will pass on getting another smurf.  Their activity in free agency as well as the value of the available players at pick 22 will determine whether they go WR, DE, or fill another need. 

Jeudy reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown.  He just gets open.  Lamb is a tougher comp.  Percy Harvin is probably the closest for me.  Maybe a Tyreek Hill but without as much speed.  I’ll be really interested to see his 40 time.

Well, this is who they met with at the senior bowl. 

Michigan EDGE Josh Uche

Utah EDGE Bradlee Anae

Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk

Notre Dame WR Chase Claypool

Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

Arizona State RB Eno Benjamin

Uche is definitely on the radar. I still think that Beane has a hard on for Epenesa, and might trade up to the mid teens if he lasts like Edmunds. 

That's a good point re: Epenesa - wouldn't hate that either, though I'm skeptical of a trade up, depending entirely on what we'd give up. 

I still think you see a run on WR in the second - which gives me hesitation with a trade-up as you'd have to trust the WR depth lasting into the late 3rd and 4th rounds for our pick (assuming we give up our second for a trade up scenario). I'd rather see us sit pretty at 22, but if he's that sold on Epenesa he's proven to be unafraid of moving up for that guy. It could also be there's a pass rusher or OL that falls in the first and second that would be worth moving on, but if we see a trade up I think it might actually come in the second or third to move up for a guy - especially with our package of late round picks this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I still think that Beane has a hard on for Epenesa, and might trade up to the mid teens if he lasts like Edmunds. 

Maybe Beane won't have to trade up.    Epenesa only fits a 4-3 scheme, limiting his desirability for many teams.    Bucky Brooks mocked him to the Bills in his draft yesterday:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001099246/article/bucky-brooks-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-jordan-love-to-saints

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ruggs is my guy.  I don’t care about drafting a 6’4” WR who can “high point” the ball.  Ruggs just makes plays.  I want that.

One thing about Ruggs, he is fast in pads. You see a lot of guys who put up good 40 times at the combine, but they aren't that fast on the field. I think Ruggs has the chance to be a Tyreke Hill kind of WR who is just as fast in pads as he is without them. The route running is then able to be worked on because he's going to kill you with his speed regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, eball said:

Let's go get two of 'em.  I don't really care which ones.

The more I learn about this draft this is the direction I'm leaning as well. Grab one in the 1st or 2nd then another in the 4th/5th. Take advantage of the depth and make a weakness a strength for years.