LeSean McCoy wants to retire an Eagle

sunshynman

Was never much of a Shady fan anyway. I thought his contributions to the team were way overblown by the Bills' fan base. He was a good, not great back with us.

I don't fault him for wanting to retire an Eagle, he had his best years there.

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In the Chiefs offense.....which averages 6.2 yards per play.......McCoy's raw numbers are replacement level.

Damien Williams is a career journeyman backup type RB and put up the same numbers past 2 years.

The issue with McCoy is the 3 fumbles...........one of them cost the Chiefs a win.

This is misleading. It averages 6.2 ypp because of passing (Mahomes averages 8.3 ypp). He's averaging 4.6 ypc, which is in line with his historic rate (4.5) when he hasn't been saddled with an awful line.  Williams also averaged 4.6 ypc. You're right about the fumbling. He's fumbling at 2.5 percent per touch rate this year, which is huge in this day and age. It's a true outlier, however, because historically he hasn't been a fumbler. He had zero fumbles on 195 touches last year. Prior to this season, he fumbled at a .077 percent rate, which is upper echelon. 

Edited by dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In the Chiefs offense.....which averages 6.2 yards per play.......McCoy's raw numbers are replacement level.

Damien Williams is a career journeyman backup type RB and put up the same numbers past 2 years.

The issue with McCoy is the 3 fumbles...........one of them cost the Chiefs a win.

Mahomes’ passing completely inflates that.  The fumbles are a very valid point though. 4.6 is a very good ypc though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

It averages 6.2 ypp because of passing (Mahomes averages 8.3 ypp). He's averaging 4.6 ypc, which is in line with his historic rate when he hasn't been saddled with an awful line.  Williams also averaged 4.6 ypc. You're right about the fumbling. He's fumbling at 2.5 percent per touch rate this year, which is huge in this day and age. It's a bit of an outlier because historically he hasn't been a fumbler. He had zero fumbles on 195 touches last year. Prior to this season, he fumbled at a .077 percent rate, which is upper echelon. 

Interestingly the spread between the Chiefs ypp 6.2 and their ypc 4.6 is the same 1.6 yards as the spread between the Bills ypp 5.2 and Gore's ypc 3.6.

The real story of McCoy's departure is Devin Singletary..........to produce like he did behind a rather finesse line without the support of even a decent passing game was incredibly impressive.........his yards after first contact have to be incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Shady has earned the right to go out however he wants.....

Dont have a bad thing to say about him.......but he was a merc for the bills

He did his job until it was time to go. Speaking of, Beane & Co look pretty smart moving on when they did. You know how everyone fawns over the Patriots for knowing when to deal players? Well...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Interestingly the spread between the Chiefs ypp 6.2 and their ypc 4.6 is the same 1.6 yards as the spread between the Bills ypp 5.2 and Gore's ypc 3.6.

The real story of McCoy's departure is Devin Singletary..........to produce like he did behind a rather finesse line without the support of even a decent passing game was incredibly impressive.........his yards after first contact have to be incredible.

My guess is that a spread like that is pretty typical given that passing plays generate more yards per play but at a higher risk. That's why fumbling is so unacceptable now - you're accepting you're going to get fewer yards through running, so you better not turn it over. Back in the old days, the great RBs fumbled at a rate between 2.5 and 3 percent (OJ, Franco Harris, Dorsett, Jim Brown ...). No one does now. If they did, they'd be out of the league.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

can't blame him. I would not of been happy either the way he was let go. 

I'm pulling for the 49ers but if kc wins I'll be glad to see him get a ring.

His best years were with the Eagles.... Nothing to do with how he was let go.

7 hours ago, eball said:

Wouldn't expect him to do anything different.  He has an interesting spin on his departure from Buffalo, though...said he was "better than the guys they had there" and the cut was a surprise because there were trade offers that the Bills "shot down."  Probably just a bit of an ego hit for the guy.  No harm no foul.  Singletary was much better than Shady would have been in our backfield last year.

He was better than dead legs Gore. I can understand why he felt a bit jilted. Worked out for him. He will get his ring on Sunday. And with a ring he is pretty much a shoe in for the HoF. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He did his job until it was time to go. Speaking of, Beane & Co look pretty smart moving on when they did. You know how everyone fawns over the Patriots for knowing when to deal players? Well...

I’m pretty sure he is better than Gore.  But maybe his ego couldn’t handle not being the man.  Still insane how we didn’t use DS more. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is exactly why he was cut. It wasn’t about money. It was because he couldn’t accept his own decline. He wouldn’t have been able to accept giving Singletary more carries. He wouldn’t have been able to be a “role player.” The Bills knew that, and didn’t want to deal with him having any kind of negative impact on singletary. 

And exactly why I championed the idea. He would have been more of a deterance to Devin excelling as a runner. Gore was the veteran presence he needed.

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day the Bills kept Gore who lost more than a step or two,  let's hope HC Sean learns his lesson with keeping the good old boys with limited talent.  Your not winning with losers like Smith/Dimarco/Kroft and Murphy who need to go or this team will never take the next step and win a playoff game.  

Big picture.  They are building a team still. Eventually the "vet in the room" isnt going to be an issue.

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mahomes’ passing completely inflates that.  The fumbles are a very valid point though. 4.6 is a very good ypc though. 

Well yeah..........Mahomes passing inflates their rushing efficiency numbers.    

Damien Williams was a career 3.6 ypc back in 4 years in Miami and has put up 5.1 and 4.6 in his two years with KC.

I don't think many teams would trade RB duo's with KC........Williams/old McCoy is a bottom 5 combo..........but I would guess that KC is probably near the top of the league in RB yards before contact because defenses are so stretched vertically they would rather give up the run yards to avoid getting gashed.

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

...EXACTLY......he burned no bridges when leaving like Moulds, Wilson's pampered pet did......retire an Eagle?...so be it...no harm no foul.............

5 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I remember that, but during the preseason games Singletary seemed to do a lot better as a receiver than taking handoffs. 

One thing really bugging me about Shady at the time was the way he was interacting with Cole Beasley. Some on here saw it as good natured fun, but I thought McCoy looked like a total dbag.

What was he doing? I honestly dont remember.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well yeah..........Mahomes passing inflates their rushing efficiency numbers.    

Damien Williams was a career 3.6 ypc back in 4 years in Miami and has put up 5.1 and 4.6 in his two years with KC.

I don't think many teams would trade RB duo's with KC........Williams/old McCoy is a bottom 5 combo..........but I would guess that KC is probably near the top of the league in RB yards before contact because defenses are so stretched vertically they would rather give up the run yards to avoid getting gashed.

91 of Damien Williams 498 yards came on one play this season. 

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My guess is that a spread like that is pretty typical given that passing plays generate more yards per play but at a higher risk. That's why fumbling is so unacceptable now - you're accepting you're going to get fewer yards through running, so you better not turn it over. Back in the old days, the great RBs fumbled at a rate between 2.5 and 3 percent (OJ, Franco Harris, Dorsett, Jim Brown ...). No one does now. If they did, they'd be out of the league.

I suspect an overall 1.6 yard difference between team ypp and RB ypc is not pretty typical at all..........it's a lot.

Gore had a very inefficient season per carry..........more than half a yard below league average per carry.

But I think that 1.6 yard split shows that relatively speaking McCoy and Williams were no better.

And how many teams would trade RB tandems with KC?   Does anyone think that's a good unit?   Williams was a 3rd down back in Miami and McCoy is for all intents and purposes washed up.

Devin Singletary, on the other hand, had 5.1 ypc and the Bills offense averaged 5.2 ypp..........I guess that's an argument for handing it off.:lol:

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I suspect an overall 1.6 yard difference between team ypp and RB ypc is not pretty typical at all..........it's a lot.

Gore had a very inefficient season per carry..........more than half a yard below league average per carry.

But I think that 1.6 yard split shows that relatively speaking McCoy and Williams were no better.

And how many teams would trade RB tandems with KC?   Does anyone think that's a good unit?   Williams was a 3rd down back in Miami and McCoy is for all intents and purposes washed up.

Devin Singletary, on the other hand, had 5.1 ypc and the Bills offense averaged 5.2 ypp..........I guess that's an argument for handing it off.:lol:

Actually, I randomly looked up one team metaphorically blindfolded: the Rams. They averaged 5.7 ypp and 3.7 ypc. So, no that's not right. 

EDIT: @BADOLBILZ - The Pats were 5.2 and 3.8. The Saints were 5.9 and 4.3. The Cowboys were 6.5 and 4.8. The Raiders were 5.9 and 4.3. The Texans were 5.7 and 4.6. Minnesota was 5.8 and 4.5.  I stopped after that because the trend line makes it obvious: a spread of 1.6 is pretty normal. 

Edited by dave mcbride

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, I randomly looked up one team metaphorically blindfolded: the Rams. They averaged 5.7 ypp and 3.7 ypc. So, no that's not right. 

EDIT: @BADOLBILZ - The Pats were 5.2 and 3.8. The Saints were 5.9 and 4.3. The Cowboys were 6.5 and 4.8. The Raiders were 5.9 and 4.3. The Texans were 5.7 and 4.6. Minnesota was 5.8 and 4.5.  I stopped after that because the trend line makes it obvious: a spread of 1.6 is pretty normal. 

Using overall ypc like you did the Chiefs and Rams tied for the biggest spread in the NFL at 2.0................so the Chiefs spread was unusually high.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was giving him crap about being small, having small feet, whether he'd go to the pro-bowl this year etc etc

I expect way worse goes on in the locker room and requires letting it go

Yes. I remember it now and remember thinking it is a locker room full of guys being guys.