LeSean McCoy wants to retire an Eagle

sunshynman

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yes, I understand the difference between 2018 and 2019 but the Bills' reassurances in 2018 led him to believe he would be a part of the 2019 squad, thus the cut was a surprise.

McCoy has to know that no reassurances during the previous season are gonna hold against actual performance (or the lack thereof) the following year.

In PS game 3, you have 6 carries for 37 yds (6.2 ypc) that's good, but the old guy playing next to you gains 57 yds on 8 carries (7.1 ypc) with similar play calls and the same line.

At that point, it's a "tough sell" to argue that you're better than the other guys in camp or it's just a money thing.  Surely money factors into it when you're getting paid 3x as much, but the Bills evaluation at that point looked like 1/3 the cost, better performance, more room to develop the rookie - let's go!

I would have liked the Bills to keep McCoy.  I think he might have helped us when Singletary was injured and when Gore wore down.  But at the end of the season, Gore contributed more rushing yards, more rush yards per game, as high of a catch percentage when thrown to, and more total yards.  He was not as efficient - he did it all on more carries with fewer YPC. 

And if McCoy was all "you handcuffed me" blah blah .....you gotta know that the first time Singletary starts getting more carries he's gonna be back in the coach's office whinging. 

McDermott has always said very clearly that nothing is given, everything is earned, and that he doesn't care who is making more money, the guy who is playing better will play.  I don't know how McCoy can claim any kind of dishonesty.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are we sure Gore had a better year?  He averaged 3.6 ypc and 2 tds.  Shady averaged 4.6 ypc (I m honestly shocked by that) and had 4 tds.  I don’t know if there is more to the story but when given carries, he’s actually been fairly productive. 

Shady averaged 4.6 ypc, but if you look at his game logs it's not evenly distributed.  He had half a dozen games early in the season where he was 5, 5.5, 6.8, 8.1 ypc and looked almost like the old Shady.  Then his production fell off and in the latter half of the season was 3, 4.1, 2.0, 3.6, 2.7 ypc.

It's a long season for a 31 yr old guy.

Now each time they rested him, he came back a bit stronger so maybe they are hoping for something from him in the Superbowl, don't know.

Whatever McCoy has to say doesn't bother me and I could care less what he has to say at this point.   His attitude and personality is what it is for better or worse.  Rather than keep quiet he has a need to describe the situation where he was a victim and innocent of any wrong.  At one time he was a very good to great player at his position.  Maybe they should have traded him at the deadline in 2018?  But they didn't.  They released him and the Chiefs signed McCoy to a part-time role player.  Frankly, he's lost a step and all season he goes to the ground on first contact   In the KC action I've seen him play he never broke a tackle or evaded a defender for additional yardage.  Most likely he's not on the Chief active roster for 2020 or any other team.  This might be his last chance for a ring.    If he gets it or not it won't make a difference to me and I hold no ill will toward the guy.  My focus is on the Bills going forward. 

59 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

"Better than the guys they had in camp."

No, Shady, sadly you weren't.

You are old and have lost a step.

Thanks for your time here, and you're entitled to your entirely wrong opinion.

Well he may have been better than Singletary 4 weeks or so into training camp, but by Oct or so, no he likely wasn't.

He is right, it was a money thing - we got more production out of a younger, cheaper back.  I hope he enjoys the Super Bowl because as much as he has been inactive for the Chiefs this year, he most likely will not be on an NFL roster come September.

Maybe he can go be a feature back in the XFL.

54 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

MCcoy being in KC had little to nothing to do with them being in the Championship IMO

5 TDs and 650 yards of offense isn’t nothing.  What’s with the hate for Shady around here?  He was the best player on the Bills in the decade, and he was clearly better than Gore this year.  4.6 ypc vs 3.6 for Gore.  5 TDs to 2.  Why wouldn’t he be upset that the team cut him for a washed up Frank Gore?  Shady didn’t have a ton left in the tank, but Gore has no business being on an NFL roster.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy gave it his all.  Nobody expected that miracle run in the Hoth game that helped get us to the playoffs.  I wish the guy well, and if he gets a ring, great.  At the same time, the Bills did what they had to.  Shady was not immune to Father Time's gifts, and he didn't/doesn't see that.  All of this...really doesn't change my opinion, of him or of how/why the end played out as it did.

One of the most overrated players the Bills have had in recent memory. This is the same guy who was thoroughly outplayed by Chris Ivory in 2018. Popular probably because he was the only celebrity we had on the team. Also, he seems like a real prick in real life. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know how McCoy can claim any kind of dishonesty.

I don't think he did.  He just said it was about money and a bit of a surprise.  Neither remark is particularly enlightening, and is pretty much what I'd expect an aging superstar who was cut to say.

I'm happy with McCoy's time here, I felt he was professional and overall represented the team well and wish him luck for his ring and that he gets to play.  Plus, he was talented and fun to watch.  A blessing as we rebuilt.

I think most people realize that running backs lose that powerful first burst step that accelerates them through trouble.  Not necessarily cutting and faking.  Problem is, running backs like Shady are the last to realize it.  I felt the beginning of the end showed in 2018 and wish we would have dealt him then.  

He doesn't overall seem like a bad guy, probably a bit of a douche though.  In his own way, I think he was simply saying he wishes we would have traded him in 2018 instead of talking him up only to be cut before next season. 

I can't honestly blame him for that, and in a league of ball-washing the fans ("best fans ever here  in (insert city)!"), coach-speak, player-speak, and front office-speak, I always welcome honest talk and insights of behind-the-scenes.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Shady had 646 yards and 5 TDs on 129 touches (5.0 yards per touch), and Gore had 699 yards and 2 TDs on 179 touches (3.9 ypt).

In the Chiefs offense.....which averages 6.2 yards per play.......McCoy's raw numbers are replacement level.

Damien Williams is a career journeyman backup type RB and put up the same numbers past 2 years.

The issue with McCoy is the 3 fumbles...........one of them cost the Chiefs a win.