Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

@Hapless Bills Fan This is the Pats specifically looking at another QB, it just happens to be Rivers. i don't see this as the same as chagers moving on from Rivers, where it is more Pats looki8ng at another QB

When it's a bit more fleshed-out than sourceless claim the Patriots talked to Rivers agent, I will agree it's worth its own thread. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Man, this just seems so cold..not that they are moving on, just the way it is coming out. Shades of February 99 i guess....cmon teams, yall can do better than this

They are pretending to move on. Rivers wants no part of playing for that garbage franchise. You could tell he wanted out in his end of the year presser. If they were still in San Diego they would still have Rivers. 

3 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Pleaseeeeeeeee let this happen. Rivers is a monster downgrade from Brady. At that point I’d take Dalton or Bridgewater over him I 

Yeah, I don't see the Patriots being seriously interested in Rivers, that's why before we make a thread about it I would like it to be based on more than something Rivers agent "leaks" to some media dude.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If so, can’t see him leaving 

Which would be awesome because they have a lot of FA's, but only $44,000,000 in cap space. If Brady eats up 30 mill+ of that then it would seriously impede them signing the rest of their key FA's. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Which would be awesome because they have a lot of FA's, but only $44,000,000 in cap space. If Brady eats up 30 mill+ of that then it would seriously impede them signing the rest of their key FA's. 

I put that in the wrong thread and moved it to the Brady thread but I agree. 

On 1/28/2020 at 4:56 PM, Boca BIlls said:

They finally got smart and realized Philip would never do it for them.

Finally? The Chargers rode him untill there was nothing left. Rivers will be known as basically a decent QB, but never great.

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Finally? The Chargers rode him untill there was nothing left. Rivers will be known as basically a decent QB, but never great.

Rivers will be known as the QB that couldn't get out of his own way... Always making critical mistakes in the worst of times.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, Utah John said:

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  It would be ironic if we had the Rivers-Brees contest all over again, but I really don't think NO will do anything with Brees until Brees says he's done.

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

4308 32tds 12ints 105.5 qb rating

Phillip Rivers 2018 season

I don’t think he is as done as some of you think.  He had a season that wasn’t so great but not completely terrible and you want to act like he’s been declining for years.  I hope he doesn’t sign with NE.  

On 1/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, GreggTX said:

I wish he was coming to the Bills. Add a #1 WR, RT, G and a backup RB if Wade doesn't pan out and we could be headed back to the SB.

I will be plenty satisfied getting there with Josh in the next year or two.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, turftoe said:

Some team is going to sign Mariota in free agency. I just hope it's not the Patriots. I want them to spend a #1 pick on a project QB. Could see Mariota landing with the Chargers or maybe Colts.

In the right setting, he could be a comeback story. Frank Reich did wonders with Nick Foles.

I hope that NE signs anyone but Rivers.  Rivers is far from done.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Rivers is done. He’s the main reason the chargers went 5-11 this year 

Silly me.  Here I was thinking that it was a piss poor Oline and an inability to run the ball.  He wasn’t awful this season and I think you may want to take a look at his 2018 season.  Come back to me when you actually know what you’re talking about and not just looking at one stat.  The Ints were high this year but an 88 QB rating doesn’t say it’s all his fault.  

Maybe there is a reason he wants out of LA.  I remember when people thought Warner was done. He will end up in Tenn, NE, Tampa or Indy.  We should revisit this at the end of 2020.  Rivers is the #1 QB on the market this offseason not Brady.

33 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Silly me.  Here I was thinking that it was a piss poor Oline and an inability to run the ball.  He wasn’t awful this season and I think you may want to take a look at his 2018 season.  Come back to me when you actually know what you’re talking about and not just looking at one stat.  The Ints were high this year but an 88 QB rating doesn’t say it’s all his fault.  

Maybe there is a reason he wants out of LA.  I remember when people thought Warner was done. He will end up in Tenn, NE, Tampa or Indy.  We should revisit this at the end of 2020.  Rivers is the #1 QB on the market this offseason not Brady.

Well chances are he ends up on either Miami or Tampa. He’s not signing anywhere else since he’s relocated his family to Florida. And yes he is the reason they went 5-11. He threw 20 INTs this year genius and technically he was one of the worst starting QBS in 2019. I’m sorry the guys a bum and always has been, should’ve kept Brees. Probably would’ve won 2-3 Super Bowls with those teams Rivers had. Granted their o line didn’t play well but I’ve seen QBs adapt and try to find ways to win. Fitzpatrick had a horrible if not the worst o line in Miami and he still managed to get it done with the lack of talent they have in Miami. Rivers has no excuse due to him having some great WRs to throw to. You can’t win if you keep throwing to the other team which Rivers is known for

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

The O-Line and Rivers (largely due to the O-Line but also because his arm wears down every season) were the worst parts of the Chargers this year. I truly think they would have been better off starting Tyrod. He at least could have helped negate the poor O-Line play a little bit.

Edited by DCOrange

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well chances are he ends up on either Miami or Tampa. He’s not signing anywhere else since he’s relocated his family to Florida. And yes he is the reason they went 5-11. He threw 20 INTs this year genius and technically he was one of the worst starting QBS in 2019. I’m sorry the guys a bum and always has been, should’ve kept Brees. Probably would’ve won 2-3 Super Bowls with those teams Rivers had. Granted their o line didn’t play well but I’ve seen QBs adapt and try to find ways to win. Fitzpatrick had a horrible if not the worst o line in Miami and he still managed to get it done with the lack of talent they have in Miami. Rivers has no excuse due to him having some great WRs to throw to. You can’t win if you keep throwing to the other team which Rivers is known for

Didn’t bother looking at 2018 or what you saw kinda ruined your narrative.  Which was it.  Trying to compare Fitzpatrick to Rivers is a joke.

18 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Didn’t bother looking at 2018 or what you saw kinda ruined your narrative.  Which was it.  Trying to compare Fitzpatrick to Rivers is a joke.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

More yards and touchdowns than Elway, Moon, Fouts, Montana, Kelly, Aikman and Warner.   More wins than Eli, Bradshaw, Aikman, Moon, Kelly, Stabler and Young.   Lower interception percentage than both Mannings, Marino, Warner, and Favre.   

Rivers was a very good to great Quarterback, one of the best to ever play.    Comparing him to FItzpatrick in anyway is asinine.

He was bad this year, so was his team.   I think he can give a team one to two more decent years while they groom a rookie.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1