Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

Rivers has always thrown too many picks at inopportune times in games.  He is what he's always been, a very unclutch QB who plays small in big games going back to early in his career when the Chargers were loaded with talent.

That’s the thing I noticed about Rivers this year: the arm strength appeared to be significantly diminished. Combine that with a career long habit of trying to force things and you wind up with a disaster. I don’t see much of a market for him. 

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That’s the thing I noticed about Rivers this year: the arm strength appeared to be significantly diminished. Combine that with a career long habit of trying to force things and you wind up with a disaster. I don’t see much of a market for him. 

That’s why I say his stats were deceiving. If you watch their games, they frequently came down to one last drive. He would have the ball and lose the game by throwing a pick or making bad decisions with the football. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

no Brady?  Do you think he stays in NE, or goes to a team with a better O-line than the Chargers?  

Yep. Rivers does two things: 1. reads defenses well, and effectively dumps the ball off to guys like Austin Ekeler at a 90% success rate (meaning positive yardage) 2. takes shots downfield into coverage at an abysmal success rate depending on guys like Keenan Allen or historically Antonio Gates to make a play. The result is a 66% completion rate and good success if he’s lucky or his receivers are really good, or an empty 66% completion rate with way too many interceptions if not. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

no Brady?  Do you think he stays in NE, or goes to a team with a better O-line than the Chargers?  

I just don’t see him out there. They stink. They have no fans. I see no reason to go from 38 year-old QB to a 43 year-old QB. If the Chargers are moving on from Rivers they should do it with a young guy. The 2 young guys in that range have different concerns but neither will be starting week 1 IMO. Dalton or Tyrod makes the most sense short-term to me. Have a bridge guy for a few weeks to year needed and then turn it over to the young guy. That doesn’t feel like a Brady situation to me.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t see him out there. They stink. They have no fans. I see no reason to go from 38 year-old QB to a 43 year-old QB. If the Chargers are moving on from Rivers they should do it with a young guy. The 2 young guys in that range have different concerns but neither will be starting week 1 IMO. Dalton or Tyrod makes the most sense short-term to me. Have a bridge guy for a few weeks to year needed and then turn it over to the young guy. That doesn’t feel like a Brady situation to me.

I totally get that take.  I don't think the team stinks, they have playmakers, esp. if they keep Hunter Henry.  But, no fans, no D, and no OL.  

Where do you think Brady ends up??  Chicago could be an option if not NE.  

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally get that take.  I don't think the team stinks, they have playmakers, esp. if they keep Hunter Henry.  But, no fans, no D, and no OL.  

Where do you think Brady ends up??  Chicago could be an option if not NE.  

I like Chicago as a thought. The Raiders make some sense. If I had to guess though I’d say New England.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Please tell me one thing Josh Rosen has done well in the NFL

Which is why I started out saying he's been put in two terrible situations. There are a number of QBs who start slow, get a different head coach / offensive coordinator, and start to put things together. I do think Rosen "could" be an NFL QB, a decent to good one at that. But he needs to have the proper support from coaches, to scheme, to players - like nearly all good QBs. He's been in two situations that could NOT have been worse during those first two seasons (except maybe Cincy come to think of it). It is far too soon, IMHO, to throw in the towel on Rosen....he needs a fresh set of eyes with a solid supporting cast and if Rivers could / can hold the unit down for a year while Rosen has another year to learn the same Offense, Miami can bring in more support on the Offensive Line and Rivers can tutor Rosen a bit, you could have a very good starting QB. Rosen has all of the tools and mental acumen needed - does he have the work ethic and dedication to the game? That's the one X-factor in my mind he hasn't answered and really can't answer until he is given an entire season to start and play. 

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

I think that they move up.  The only problem is the Dolphins have more to offer but not impossible.  Would not mind see the Dolphins getting screwed this April.

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

I don't think I could vote for Rivers myself, but I think he may eventually make the HOF.  He certainly isn't a first ballot guy.

Many fans forget how talented those Chargers teams were early on in Rivers' career.  They had monster defenses led by Junior Seau and Shawn Merriman and prolific offenses.  They would win 12, 13, 14 games in the regular season but fizzle in the playoffs.   Later in Rivers' career, the Chargers weren't nearly as talented but it seemed whenever they put together a playoff contender, Rivers' poor play left them either outside looking in or one and done.  In his career, Rivers has only led his team to 2 playoff wins.

Rivers is the anti-Eli.  A lot of critics diss Eli in HOF discussions because his stats aren't outstanding compared to other QBs of his generation, but Eli helped his team win games more often than he caused them to lose them even when those Giants teams weren't all that talented.  When he had some good talent, though, Eli came through.  The name of the game in the NFL is winning, and when Eli had the opportunity, he took his team to two Super Bowl wins.  In fact, Eli has as many Super Bowl wins as Rivers has playoff wins. 

I’m sorry but Rivers is not a hall of famer. He did not change the game in any way, he’s a choke artist and has been his whole career, Because he’s in Florida now I fully guarantee Miami is going to be going after him though. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I know but I bet they tag him knowing they’ll get at least a 2nd round pick for him.  

I don’t see them getting a 2nd. They will get a comp pick if he walks. I’m not sure that they get a 3rd otherwise. He missed all of 2018 and 4 more games this past season. He was having a nice year but I don’t see any team paying a premium for a TE that they will have to turn around and give $10M plus to. This holds especially true with Austin Hooper potentially on the market. 

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Bruce Arians likes QBS that can chuck the deep ball. Rivers isn't that guy

Serious question, can Rivers throw it more than  20 yards with any zip on it? Because I dont think he can.  

I think Bucs are gonna keep Winston probably give him a 2-3 year deal with an incentive that they can move on from him next year if he ***** the bed like he did this year even though he threw for 5,000 plus yards this year

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mannc said:

If Rivers makes the Hall of Fame, then the honor has pretty much lost all meaning.

I disagree.  He's a borderline HOFer while Eli isn't. His stats are superior.  Eli relied heavily on those defenses to win those SB's.  Being in the NFC helped not having to go through Brady, P. Manning, and Roethlisberger every year.

Rivers - 64.7%, 59,271 yards, 397 TD's, 198 INT's, 95.1 passer rating, 123-101 regular season record. 5-6 in the playoffs with a 84.2 passer rating

Eli-        60.3%, 57,023 yards, 366 TD's, 244 INT's, 84.1 passer rating, 117-117 regular season record. 8-4 in the playoffs with a 87.4 passer rating. 2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

18 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly it’s too early to give up on Josh Rosen IMHO. He’s been put into two terrible situations and one of the best things for him would be to sit another year and let Rivers lead the Miami team for a year. If the Fins could do that and get him to buy in for one more year, it might help both the franchise and Rosen in his development.

Rosen's future is not in the NFL.  Miami will dump him pretty soon.  They brought him in on a flyer with minimum risk since in their trade down they got another 2nd round pick.  Then in a rebuild year, they thought so little of him that they decided pretty quickly that he was not their QB of the future after seeing him play in a few games and instead of trying to develop him, they benched him in favor of the guy who gave them the best chance of winning a few games.  Since the coach had a free pass, he didn't have to win any games to keep his job.  If he saw anything that gave him hope of developing Rosen, he would have played him rather than sat him.  Instead he went with Fitz & I guarantee Miami takes a QB in the 1st round.  That leaves Rosen out the door since there's no way they're keeping the rookie, a veteran (either Fitz or Rivers) & Rosen.  I wouldn't be shocked that as soon as Miami drafts the rookie QB, Rosen is either traded for a late round pick, or if there are no takers, released outright before camp.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Which is why I started out saying he's been put in two terrible situations. There are a number of QBs who start slow, get a different head coach / offensive coordinator, and start to put things together. I do think Rosen "could" be an NFL QB, a decent to good one at that. But he needs to have the proper support from coaches, to scheme, to players - like nearly all good QBs. He's been in two situations that could NOT have been worse during those first two seasons (except maybe Cincy come to think of it). It is far too soon, IMHO, to throw in the towel on Rosen....he needs a fresh set of eyes with a solid supporting cast and if Rivers could / can hold the unit down for a year while Rosen has another year to learn the same Offense, Miami can bring in more support on the Offensive Line and Rivers can tutor Rosen a bit, you could have a very good starting QB. Rosen has all of the tools and mental acumen needed - does he have the work ethic and dedication to the game? That's the one X-factor in my mind he hasn't answered and really can't answer until he is given an entire season to start and play. 

So Rosen does nothing well? He has potential. Cool. Its year 3

Baker Mayfield Joined a team that had ONE win in two years and Hue Jackson was the coach. His HC and OC were fired midseason

Josh Allen had a terrible offensive line, no WRs of note and a failing running game

Sam Darnold was playing for a lame duck coach and had no offensive line

All three of those players were able to elevate those around them and make plays. With Rosen, apparently he needs everything to be perfect for him to have any chance. This may be a shock to you, but no situation in the NFL is perfect. People love to just assume its coaching or scheme as to why a guy isnt performing.  He was a top ten pick. The most pro-ready QB. The best tape, the right coaching and perfect mechanics and he has shown NOTHING in two years. At some point, it has to be about Rosen not being good enough. It is such a common tale, I'm not sure why people can't accept it 

If the Bills brought Rosen here and said, "we are going to make him our QB" How would you feel? Me? I'd cancel my season tickets

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I disagree.  He's a borderline HOFer while Eli isn't. His stats are superior.  Eli relied heavily on those defenses to win those SB's.  Being in the NFC helped not having to go through Brady, P. Manning, and Roethlisberger every year.

Rivers - 64.7%, 59,271 yards, 397 TD's, 198 INT's, 95.1 passer rating, 123-101 regular season record. 5-6 in the playoffs with a 84.2 passer rating

Eli-        60.3%, 57,023 yards, 366 TD's, 244 INT's, 84.1 passer rating, 117-117 regular season record. 8-4 in the playoffs with a 87.4 passer rating. 2 SB's, 2 SB MVP's

Every time I see a post quoting QB stats I cringe.  Eli Manning was one of the best big game clutch players of his generation.  Rivers, on the other hand choked away many opportunities.  Eli had a lot of mediocre games, but with the game on the line in games that mattered, he was money.  The only time I'd use money and Rivers in the same sentence would be : Rivers made a lot of money during his NFL career.  

• Like (+1) 1