Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Absolutely not. Every great QB plays for about 2 years past their true retirement age. During this time, they become a huge liability for their team. For what we’ve been through for the last 2 decades, we deserve every minute of that glorious downfall. I don’t want him out of the AFC East. 

I dunno about that 2 years too long. There were a bunch of sad old QBs trying to squeeze out another year many years ago: Joe Namath, LA Rams; Johnny Unitas, Chargers. And a bunch more I’ve long forgotten. But the last few greats or very goods seem to fare ok: Favre with the Jets/Vikes (better than you remember!), even Montana with the Chiefs (actually really good), not to mention Peyton with the Broncos (great for 3 years, just barely good enough to win a SB in the 4th). I kind of like watching these end of career experiments. My guess (and I hate to say it): I think Brady has a couple good years left in him and he’d play better with the weapons Tampa or even the Chargers have. And yes, get him out of our division, whatever it takes. I’ll take my chances with Jarrett Stidham. (Now watch them get the best available QB out there)

Nashville is a 1 hour and 15 minute flight from Pensacola, Fl ...

Nashville, TN—Pensacola, FL

Nonstop (2 per day1 h 15 min
Round trip price, Feb 12 – 16 from $253

I think Rivers might have the $$$ somewhere to make that happen.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would the Bears be a possibility for Rivers?

I have been reading that they arent ready to give up on Trubisky yet but maybe they should..

why. It hasn't all been Tubisky;s fault.  They took away his run game and playmakers.   The Khalil mack trade is hurting to bring in talent for the offense...I hope Beane doesn't do something like that...Josh will then be in the same boat.

Edited by ganesh

Honestly it’s too early to give up on Josh Rosen IMHO. He’s been put into two terrible situations and one of the best things for him would be to sit another year and let Rivers lead the Miami team for a year. If the Fins could do that and get him to buy in for one more year, it might help both the franchise and Rosen in his development.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, this just seems so cold..not that they are moving on, just the way it is coming out. Shades of February 99 i guess....cmon teams, yall can do better than this

Yeah, you would think the team would make a respectful announcement, thank Rivers, say a few polite and complimentary things about the last 16 seasons, wish him the best.   Though maybe that was their intent, and it got leaked.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly it’s too early to give up on Josh Rosen IMHO. He’s been put into two terrible situations and one of the best things for him would be to sit another year and let Rivers lead the Miami team for a year. If the Fins could do that and get him to buy in for one more year, it might help both the franchise and Rosen in his development.

I don't think Miami has Fitzy under contract and hired Chan Gailey so that they could bring in Rivers.

I honestly believe he will have a very tough time finding a suitor for the 20 or so mil it would cost to sign him.

His demands would be considered "diva" behavior if he weren't a (sort of) beloved tenured QUARTERBACK.

Team's are willing to put up with the demands as long as the player is elite. Once that is no longer the case, the demands suddenly become a non starter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If the rumors of where he moved to are true, Nashville, New Orleans, and Atlanta are all closer to his new home than the Florida teams. He's not really close to any NFL team. Would be like driving in from NYC to play for the Bills every day.

Mmmmm.... Tampa about same distance as Tenn?  Jax about same distance as Atlanta.

I'm thinking he's talking to Tampa Bay or Jax.  I'm sure he'd get a condo for during the week, but it would be close enough he could potentially get home for a day off.

Do they have any interest would be the question?

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Chargers should consider trading for Rosen.  He can probably be had for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

He's a Cali boy, still only 22.  The table is set for him in LA with talent-a-plenty and a very good offensive mind, in Anthony Lynn.

Rosen has to show something, anything, before anyone is going to look at him as more than a prayer. He’s got value, but I don’t think anyone relies on him as their starter at this point. 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well yes if he plays for anyone he’s not commuting in from the florida-alabama line week in and week out. It’s certainly easier to get back to homebase occasionally from florida or louisiana than LA or Boston though. 

From his statements it seems like he wants to play, so if I had to bet I’d say Tampa.

I would bet he is done after this announcement. and god Bless him honestly.  Upstanding fellow and i have great respect for him in every facet.

Please retire  Mr Phillip Rivers

enjoy : )

7 minutes ago, teef said:

Sunrise, sunset. 

cannot put my finger on it. But i can hear it. Song by the 1967 Pink Floyd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I hope the Chargers jump the Fins and take Tua.

The Fish are sitting on three first-round picks this year and two more next year. No one is jumping over them for anything if they want it badly enough.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

All I can say for sure is that it's great that the Bills aren't involved in any of this QB turmoil.  If anything materializes for Buffalo, it may be an opportunity to upgrade the backup QB position.

Irrespective of Rivers, I think this is a need. I love Barkley as a teammate and seems like a great guy, mentor, in film room etc but if josh goes down the bills are toast. I would prefer someone I have a little more confidence in behind Allen. Barkley’s arm is a noodle and he’s not getting any better. I don’t know who Is available at what price but I think the bills should invest in better backup. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1