Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

Just now, Utah John said:

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

I'm already loving this QB free agent offseason. 

Brady, Rivers, Bridgewater, Dalton -- let's saw you're a team that thinks (remember, most teams that think this are delusional) that they are one accomplished veteran QB away from competing for a Super Bowl. Maybe you're the Bucs, or the Steelers (if Ben doesn't make it back, or doesn't make it back on schedule), or the Colts (if you've seen enough of Brissette), or the Bears (ditto Trubisky). Which one do you go with? Assuming they all fit within your cap structure, which they (Brady) probably won't. Is it a different guy that's the right fit for each team?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

Brady is not a good mentor. He's been a selfish player his whole career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Brady is not a good mentor. He's been a selfish player his whole career.

And that's the way it is with most all-time greats at their position. They just aren't interested in playing the "mentor ready to hand the job off to a protege" role. I remember in baseball when Troy Tulowitzki, the always-injured formerly great SS, was asked this about his soon-to-be replacement, Trevor Story. He answered honestly with a kind of brush-off to the reporter, essentially saying that he had no interest in that. Maybe Eli was good with Daniel Jones, but Eli was not all-time great. Peyton was supposedly helpful to Brock Osweiler (if he was, you'd never know it from Brock's play), but he had no interest in sticking around as a backup after that lucky SB win.

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. But by the same token -- no one will ever accuse Philip Rivers of "refusing to play QB." No, he'll play and play and play his own particular version of forcing the ball downfield regardless of the situation, and the results will be thrilling and and horrifying in roughly equal measure. At this stage of their careers, I think maybe Rivers is the poor man's Fitzy.

Honestly, Ill take someone who turns the ball over deep, essentially punting the ball, than someone who wont throw it because they are scared of it.   The guy is one year removed from 32 touchdowns to 12 ints, and a 12-4 record.   I dont think he suddenly stops throwing ints, and he is for sure at the end, but I wouldnt take Taylor over him right now.   But, for what its worth Taylor is probably a better bridge QB to a rookie because its easier to rip the band aid off, than do it like the Giants did with Eli.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

And that's the way it is with most all-time greats at their position. They just aren't interested in playing the "mentor ready to hand the job off to a protege" role. I remember in baseball when Troy Tulowitzki, the always-injured formerly great SS, was asked this about his soon-to-be replacement, Trevor Story. He answered honestly with a kind of brush-off to the reporter, essentially saying that he had no interest in that. Maybe Eli was good with Daniel Jones, but Eli was not all-time great. Peyton was supposedly helpful to Brock Osweiler (if he was, you'd never know it from Brock's play), but he had no interest in sticking around as a backup after that lucky SB win.

Agreed. Favre was also extremely threatened by Rodgers. Brady was threatened by Jimmy G. Seems like the best mentors are the career backups who jump around from team to team and learn a lot of offenses.

Many people are discussing Rivers as if he will have to drive to Tampa- he can jump in a charter plane that can get him to Tampa in about an hour and stay there in a nice apartment a few nights a week. If his travel budget is 500000 and he is making 12 million then it is a good investment.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Tom Brady to Chargers.  That’s been my prediction for long time, and I’m sticking to it

So you are saying they are acting like douches so will sign a douche.

Will people call their head coach a douche if quits because he does not want a lying, cheater as leader of their team?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Tom Brady to Chargers.  That’s been my prediction for long time, and I’m sticking to it

Definitely would not bet  the under on that one.  Sounds like a good landing spot for him as the Chargers need a big draw (or any draw) with the new stadium and they have a decent team around him.  Last year at this time they were one of the favorites to go deep into the playoffs this past season.

49 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm already loving this QB free agent offseason. 

Brady, Rivers, Bridgewater, Dalton -- let's saw you're a team that thinks (remember, most teams that think this are delusional) that they are one accomplished veteran QB away from competing for a Super Bowl. Maybe you're the Bucs, or the Steelers (if Ben doesn't make it back, or doesn't make it back on schedule), or the Colts (if you've seen enough of Brissette), or the Bears (ditto Trubisky). Which one do you go with? Assuming they all fit within your cap structure, which they (Brady) probably won't. Is it a different guy that's the right fit for each team?

Don't forget Cam in there too.  Though who knows what the Panthers will end up doing

46 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True, though Brady seems to be one of the worst in that respect.  From all accounts, he drove Jimmy G out of town.  How many others can claim that!

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If the rumors of where he moved to are true, Nashville, New Orleans, and Atlanta are all closer to his new home than the Florida teams. He's not really close to any NFL team. Would be like driving in from NYC to play for the Bills every day.

That’s not completely accurate except for Atlanta as you’re right Destin is closer to ATL, but there are non stop 30 minutes flights to Tampa.  Tampa is the perfect spot for him as Arians made Palmer a huge success at the end of his career, and would love to move on from Winston like every single Bucs fan.

Winston is not getting better.  If he signed, the Bucs wouldn’t have to give Winston another year for $20 mil.  The Bucs had the #3 overall offense, #1 in the pass, and yes would need to improve in the rush game, but part of that is they played from behind quite often.  They also have the #1 rush defense, but sucked in pass defense.  It makes sense as the secondary sucks down here.  Rivers would be perfect.  Before anyone says anything to me about a Bucs fan, I am as I’ve lived here half my life, but never over my Bills.  I root for the Bucs every game, except once every four years when they play the Bills.  I’ve been to every Tampa, Bills game since 93, and worn my Bills jersey every time.

I do agree they should draft a QB as well as LA chargers, but could easily see Brady going to LA. For both guys it’s probably just a 2 year contract and help develop the young guy like Garropolo did under Brady and is now the starter in the SB.

I’ve always liked Rivers, and a big part of his problem kind of like Eli is he’s had a weak team around him.  That’s my two cents.  If his family is in Birmingham, that’s also a very short trip non stop from Tampa.  I just can’t see him wanting to go to two developing or weaker teams like Jax and Miami.  ATL, nor New Orleans wouldn’t want him with their current QB’s not to mention the dead cap $ if either wanted to move on from their QB’s, especially NO as they have their next QB already on their roster.

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

Absolutely not. Every great QB plays for about 2 years past their true retirement age. During this time, they become a huge liability for their team. For what we’ve been through for the last 2 decades, we deserve every minute of that glorious downfall. I don’t want him out of the AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  It would be ironic if we had the Rivers-Brees contest all over again, but I really don't think NO will do anything with Brees until Brees says he's done.

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

I could very well see this happening. One way or another, I think he plays somewhere next year.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, this just seems so cold..not that they are moving on, just the way it is coming out. Shades of February 99 i guess....cmon teams, yall can do better than this

I appreciate the sentiment, but there is really no delicate way of cutting ties with a long time player who still wants to play in the league even if you don’t want him. 

I’m sure that when he hangs ‘em up, the Charters will give him a proper ceremony. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Absolutely not. Every great QB plays for about 2 years past their true retirement age. During this time, they become a huge liability for their team. For what we’ve been through for the last 2 decades, we deserve every minute of that glorious downfall. I don’t want him out of the AFC East. 

So are you saying you liked to see the Bills finally be able to slap him around a little bit ?

• Like (+1) 1

Brady will go to the Chargers.  Rivers will go to Tennessee or Tampa.  Tennessee would be the smarter play, as I don’t see a closer comp in the league to Rivers than Winston.  Bridgewater or Dalton would be solid fits in Tampa.