Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

if he’s up in the panhandle then yes but Atlanta certainly isn’t an option. If Brees comes back NO is out as well. Tenn seems a possibilty.

Yeah, he's supposedly up in the NW tip of Florida. Point being, there isn't a team that makes sense geographically speaking. Seems like he's likely not going to live at home next season or he'll be retiring from football.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCOrange said:

Yeah, he's supposedly up in the NW tip of Florida. Point being, there isn't a team that makes sense geographically speaking. Seems like he's likely not going to live at home next season or he'll be retiring from football.

Well yes if he plays for anyone he’s not commuting in from the florida-alabama line week in and week out. It’s certainly easier to get back to homebase occasionally from florida or louisiana than LA or Boston though. 

From his statements it seems like he wants to play, so if I had to bet I’d say Tampa.

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Tom Brady to Chargers.  That’s been my prediction for long time, and I’m sticking to it

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Its too perfect of an idea for Brady to go there. Play in his home state, anchor the LA fan base to being Charger fans in the new stadium. And Brady then mentors whoever the new guy or young guy would be there. Trying not to get too excited.

Would he beat out Tyrod for the starting role?

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

What about Miami? Even though he is on the downside of his career he would still be an upgrade over Fitz. Rosen looks like he is heading towards bust territory if he couldn't beat out Fitz last season. The Fins could use a vet to hold down the fort for a year or two until they get their future franchise QB. Who knows if they hit on their draft picks and with Rivers as QB they might be competitive. Their coach did a good job last season considering the talent on the roster.

Doubt it.  I think Fitz is going to start in Miami, which is probably why they brought in Chan Gailey.  They'll keep Rosen and probably try to draft a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

I'm thinking they jump Miami for Tua.  Gotta sell tickets desperately, and he's more marketable than herbert.

25 minutes ago, Nester said:

Wonder what the Chargers do now

Tyrods time to shine??
Time for the Bridgewater or Dalton show in La?
Will Brady try out the best cost?
Will Herbert be around for pick #6? Or does Miami take him at #5?

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking that they draft a guy early (Herbert or Tua) and roll with Tyrod or Dalton for now. If Tua is at full health he probably starts day 1. Herbert should be more of a mid season type of thing.

That was my thought also.  I suspect Tua is the plan - just not sure Tyrod is the mentor.  

I think a new Veteran mentor that fits is more in the cards. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will keep Tyrod and draft Herbert or Tua. 

Count me among the small group of fans who believe the Chargers would have been considerably better with Tyrod starting at QB this year. Really, sometimes all you need to do is not put your team in a hole with bad turnovers and wait for some of your playmakers to make plays.

• Like (+1) 1

I would think the Colts make perfect sense given his relationship with Reich.   But Florida is a long ways from Indianapolis. 

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Count me among the small group of fans who believe the Chargers would have been considerably better with Tyrod starting at QB this year. Really, sometimes all you need to do is not put your team in a hole with bad turnovers and wait for some of your playmakers to make plays.

It depends on which Tyrod you're getting.  His last year here was insufferable.   By the playoff game he wasn't throwing the ball anymore.  I will say it as long as I live, Bortles vs. Taylor was the absolute worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in a game, simply because both refused to play quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes and frankly there is no easy way for the Chargers to do this unless he retires. He’s likely not doing that and they need to rip the band aid off at some point. They are moving into the new stadium this year, they feel its  time with his contract up and his stats were very deceiving last year. He can’t move and throws too many picks. 

He is not one to pad his stats. I noticed that if for example he was down 17 with 7 minutes to go, he didn't "matriculate" it down the field just to make the score closer. He would throw it deep and hope. Hope that his WR catches it or he gets a PI. I'll bet that 4 or 5 of his INTs were late in the 4th Q in those type of circumstances. He seems to have lost a little, similar to Brady, but I think that he can still start in this league.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I would think the Colts make perfect sense given his relationship with Reich.   But Florida is a long ways from Indianapolis. 

It depends on which Tyrod you're getting.  His last year here was insufferable.   By the playoff game he wasn't throwing the ball anymore.  I will say it as long as I live, Bortles vs. Taylor was the absolute worst quarterbacking I've ever seen in a game, simply because both refused to play quarterback.

True. But by the same token -- no one will ever accuse Philip Rivers of "refusing to play QB." No, he'll play and play and play his own particular version of forcing the ball downfield regardless of the situation, and the results will be thrilling and and horrifying in roughly equal measure. At this stage of their careers, I think maybe Rivers is the poor man's Fitzy.

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Miami has more draft capital to "jump" first to get and stay ahead of LA.

• Like (+1) 1

If he's living in extreme NW Florida, the closest NFL franchise to his home would be New Orleans.  It would be ironic if we had the Rivers-Brees contest all over again, but I really don't think NO will do anything with Brees until Brees says he's done.

Rivers is a tough sell.  He thinks he's still a starting QB and will want to get paid like one, and will not be content to be a backup somewhere.  I think he'll end up just sitting until some team that figures it's ready to win right now loses its starting QB to injury, and needs to find the right short-term replacement.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

It seems that Rivers moved on before the Chargers. Odd how it came about, but I think he is not at all surprised. 

I think he was told awhile ago that they weren’t going to offer him a new deal. He seemed to know he wasn’t going to be back at the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, billykay said:

He is not one to pad his stats. I noticed that if for example he was down 17 with 7 minutes to go, he didn't "matriculate" it down the field just to make the score closer. He would throw it deep and hope. Hope that his WR catches it or he gets a PI. I'll bet that 4 or 5 of his INTs were late in the 4th Q in those type of circumstances. He seems to have lost a little, similar to Brady, but I think that he can still start in this league.

Agree, but the biggest issue is he can’t move - and their OL was not good (some of that due to injury). As a result he took a ton of sacks and was pressured into poor decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1