Chargers moving on from Philip Rivers after 16 years

YoloinOhio

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It looks like the thread about him moving his family from SD to Florida got locked or i would have tacked this on there, as there was discussion in that thread about him playing elsewhere next year. I don’t think he will want to retire. 

I believe they will take a QB at 6 (or try to move up higher if needed to take one) which helps push the non QBs down 

He can sign with Tampa Bay and fight it out with Jameis to see who can throw the most picks. ?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Man, this just seems so cold..not that they are moving on, just the way it is coming out. Shades of February 99 i guess....cmon teams, yall can do better than this

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would the Bears be a possibility for Rivers?

I have been reading that they arent ready to give up on Trubisky yet but maybe they should..

I would think he is done. I mean he would not move from San Diego and commuted back and forth every day to be with his family..cant see why that would change now. 

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would the Bears be a possibility for Rivers?

I have been reading that they arent ready to give up on Trubisky yet but maybe they should..

i think Rivers is going to play somewhere in Florida or not at all. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i think Rivers is going to play somewhere in Florida or not at all. 

If the rumors of where he moved to are true, Nashville, New Orleans, and Atlanta are all closer to his new home than the Florida teams. He's not really close to any NFL team. Would be like driving in from NYC to play for the Bills every day.

Edited by DCOrange

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, didn’t think they would force him out.

Bears should be all over this...and wouldn’t be surprised to see Bucs, Colts, Broncos and Jags show interest either.  

Colts/Indianapolis seem like a perfect fit for his football/personality.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Do people remember that this is exactly how Jimbo’s career ended? Bills announced that they would not be re-signing him.

Yes and frankly there is no easy way for the Chargers to do this unless he retires. He’s likely not doing that and they need to rip the band aid off at some point. They are moving into the new stadium this year, they feel its  time with his contract up and his stats were very deceiving last year. He can’t move and throws too many picks. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If the rumors of where he moved to are true, Nashville, New Orleans, and Atlanta are all closer to his new home than the Florida teams. He's not really close to any NFL team. Would be like driving in from NYC to play for the Bills every day.

if he’s up in the panhandle then yes but Atlanta certainly isn’t an option. If Brees comes back NO is out as well. Tenn seems a possibilty.

1 minute ago, Nester said:

Wonder what the Chargers do now

Tyrods time to shine??
Time for the Bridgewater or Dalton show in La?
Will Brady try out the best cost?
Will Herbert be around for pick #6? Or does Miami take him at #5?

I think they will keep Tyrod and draft Herbert or Tua. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

He can sign with Tampa Bay and fight it out with Jameis to see who can throw the most picks. ?

What about Miami? Even though he is on the downside of his career he would still be an upgrade over Fitz. Rosen looks like he is heading towards bust territory if he couldn't beat out Fitz last season. The Fins could use a vet to hold down the fort for a year or two until they get their future franchise QB. Who knows if they hit on their draft picks and with Rivers as QB they might be competitive. Their coach did a good job last season considering the talent on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1