Revisiting the 2019 Bills Draft. How do they rate?

6 hours ago, Augie said:

How long before somebody brings up who we could have/should have drafted?  :)

I love the early production and the potential of this draft class. It’s too early for me to get carried away, however. I’d call myself optimistically hopeful. Everybody just needs to keep improving. 

Ed O looks good (as he should as a top 10)

ford - meh

singletary - good... 50-50 on day 2 is fine.neither big bust or boom. A good and a work in progress.

the rest: perfectly fine swings. Let them work through the system and grow and 1-2 might surprise us.

if we change coaches in a year (Not saying we will) this class has potential to fall apart fast, but with stability could be solid. 

A rock solid B draft that could be an A if Oliver turns into a great player. So far he's erratic, but his talent cannot be questioned. Ford will be fine as a guard but there is no way I could ever see him being a RT. His footwork just can't take the top level guys consistently.

Knox is a real unknown, and Singletary was a home-run

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Ed O looks good (as he should as a top 10)

ford - meh

singletary - good... 50-50 on day 2 is fine.neither big bust or boom. A good and a work in progress.

the rest: perfectly fine swings. Let them work through the system and grow and 1-2 might surprise us.

if we change coaches in a year (Not saying we will) this class has potential to fall apart fast, but with stability could be solid. 

You’re one of the posters I respect the most on the board, so I’m surprised to see your mixed reaction to Singletary. I think it’s reasonable to argue that RBs are better taken in volume in the mid-to-late rounds, or that the Bills should have prioritized other positions (Allen would benefit more than most from a set of 3+ receiving threats, as he plays best when he goes through the progressions and doesn’t lock on to Beasley etc.)

But Singletary was outstanding relative to other players at his position and for his draft slot. He has some work to do on his blocking (drastically under appreciated skill for RBs by most fans) and doesn’t have the same receiving versatility as, say, Hunt or Kamara, but he did most things at a top quartile level. The fumbles are a concern, but I’m thrilled with the pick and look forward to seeing what the offense can do if Beane continues to improve what was one of the worst offensive rosters in NFL history (was absurd to have a lazy and washed up Kelvin Benjamin as our #1 receiver along with Zay Jones).

I expect that Beane will hit on 1-2 selections at WR/RB (would like to see the team draft 3-4 between the two positions, depending on how they evaluate Foster and Williams), and there should be little room for excuses next year if the offense doesn’t play to at least an average level.

Gore might have had some value as a mentor/stabilizing force, but one of my biggest concerns with coaching this year was that he continued to have a sizable role while regressing over the course of the season, and it’s hard to justify not working Yeldon in more as Gore fell off. Having 2+ RBs, especially if they can catch, is so critical in today’s league, and Singletary was more impactful than Jacobs in the receiving game. I love the culture of this team, and have “bought in” to seeing how valuing work ethic/desire to win/leadership can be material, but the staff is far too reticent to bench or cut veterans like Gore, Smith (took far too long to be benched for his penalties) and overvalues special teams on the active roster at the expense of seeing what players like Williams and Yeldon could add to the offense.  

Edited by ny33
  • Like (+1) 1

For what its worth, Bleacher Report gives the Bills an A in their one season assessment:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869617-grading-every-nfl-teams-2019-draft-haul#slide0

Its interesting that they also gave As to two of the teams that were most criticized originally, the Giants and the Raiders.

Their original post-draft grades were A for the Bills, B for the Raiders and D for the Giants.

McBeane and their entire team of scouts & evaluators have set a very high bar. Perhaps too high to live up to new expectations. I’m truly surprised none of them were poached, so I anticipate another healthy haul of good to great players. But unlike last offseason, we’ve have many guys returning who’ve earned the right to start and play on a playoff team. Vosean’s ..um.. sketchy injury kept him here. I really felt he’d be snatched up before we could sign him back to PS. I followed him at UF and definitely expect him to make the 53 next season. So that leaves very few slots left. 

Yes, I know we all scream for certain players to be gone and I think some of them will. But I don’t foresee 9 new starters and I do see raiding of our scouting dept. So there’s one more offseason with lot-O-cash and spots to fill. 

The 2019 haul was epic in the annals of Team history. Anything close to that this year will set us up very nicely for a strong run to the top.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:
  • Round 1 • Pick 9 (9) • DT Ed Oliver.
  • Round 2 • Pick 6 (38) • T Cody Ford.
  • Round 3 • Pick 11 (74) • RB Devin Singletary.
  • Round 3 • Pick 33 (96) • TE Dawson Knox.

• Round 6 • Pick 8 (181) • S Jaquan Johnson.
  • Round 7 • Pick 11 (225) • DE Darryl Johnson

the only one not to play due to being on IR  was IIRC

Round 5 • Pick 9 (147) • LB Vosean Joseph.

I'm thinking the first 4 did well enough for themselves. 

Sorry if I missed a similar thread in my search 

I think Ed Oliver got better and better. He had a really good rookie year and is going to be a great player. Singletary impressed me. He played better as a rookie than I expected him to. He established himself as the #1 back but he is a guy I think who is always going to need someone to split the carries with and the Bills need to go back to the well for that complimentary back this draft. Dawson Knox was what I expected. His ceiling his sky high but he was raw as a receiver. I think if he can improve his catching technique and concentration and reel in more of his targets he could outperform a lot of the higher round TEs in that class. Joseph obviously is an incomplete. I think both the Johnsons showed some promising flashes - Darryl in spot duty and Jaquan in the game against the Jets. Cody Ford was the disappointment in year 1. I had him graded as my #1 guard but with tackle flex. He did improve as the year went on at RT and I think his technique improved as he went - both in terms of hand use and in terms of his blocking angles. But ultimately I think his foot speed means the most he will ever be at the NFL level as a tackle is a guy who can get you out of a game there. To me the Bills have to make the move and push him inside.

• Like (+1) 2

The draft overall was really good for this team. We got 4 starters, a couple of depth guys, and a LB with potential to at least play ST adding more depth. Ed O is gonna be a top tier DT in this league, likely this coming season. Hopefully, Beane/McDermott move Ford to RG/LG and go after an upper tier RT in FA. I think Ford would serve this team better in that position. Singletary was a difference maker when on the field, but we need a legit big back with less wear on the tires than Gore. An AJ Dillon/Singletary combo would be hard to handle. Knox, if he works the drops out of his game and becomes a bit more disciplined with his blocking, is going to be a top flight TE for a long time. Not too many teams, especially teams with a pick per round, get 4 starters and guys with such potential out of a single draft. I agree with the A assessment given out by BR. 

5 hours ago, ny33 said:

You’re one of the posters I respect the most on the board, so I’m surprised to see your mixed reaction to Singletary. I think it’s reasonable to argue that RBs are better taken in volume in the mid-to-late rounds, or that the Bills should have prioritized other positions (Allen would benefit more than most from a set of 3+ receiving threats, as he plays best when he goes through the progressions and doesn’t lock on to Beasley etc.)

But Singletary was outstanding relative to other players at his position and for his draft slot. He has some work to do on his blocking (drastically under appreciated skill for RBs by most fans) and doesn’t have the same receiving versatility as, say, Hunt or Kamara, but he did most things at a top quartile level. The fumbles are a concern, but I’m thrilled with the pick and look forward to seeing what the offense can do if Beane continues to improve what was one of the worst offensive rosters in NFL history (was absurd to have a lazy and washed up Kelvin Benjamin as our #1 receiver along with Zay Jones).

I expect that Beane will hit on 1-2 selections at WR/RB (would like to see the team draft 3-4 between the two positions, depending on how they evaluate Foster and Williams), and there should be little room for excuses next year if the offense doesn’t play to at least an average level.

Gore might have had some value as a mentor/stabilizing force, but one of my biggest concerns with coaching this year was that he continued to have a sizable role while regressing over the course of the season, and it’s hard to justify not working Yeldon in more as Gore fell off. Having 2+ RBs, especially if they can catch, is so critical in today’s league, and Singletary was more impactful than Jacobs in the receiving game. I love the culture of this team, and have “bought in” to seeing how valuing work ethic/desire to win/leadership can be material, but the staff is far too reticent to bench or cut veterans like Gore, Smith (took far too long to be benched for his penalties) and overvalues special teams on the active roster at the expense of seeing what players like Williams and Yeldon could add to the offense.  

by good I meant he’s an above average player but not a star (yet). 

I think more touches, and as you mentioned cleaning up a few pieces of his game, and he could be great. 

I may be skewing impact of day 2 RBs a bit high as a benchmark (I think RBs in day two are tremendous value for most teams)because truly I didn’t mean it a knock to say he was good and they hit on the pick (on the 50-50 he was the winner and ford the wait and see)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t forget Tommy Sweeney.

I would have preferred a WR to Cody Ford in the 2nd and would have loved the class. With that being said, he’s okay. There were just more impactful options IMO. I’d say that the class is a solid B/B+

Odd ... I did a search and the list I found didn't include him.  I never double checked it.  thanks 

Or my copy field fell 1 short

Sweeney only played in 4 games.  2 of which were against the JETS and only 3 games where he had any catches.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Cody Ford was the disappointment in year 1. I had him graded as my #1 guard but with tackle flex. He did improve as the year went on at RT and I think his technique improved as he went - both in terms of hand use and in terms of his blocking angles. But ultimately I think his foot speed means the most he will ever be at the NFL level as a tackle is a guy who can get you out of a game there. To me the Bills have to make the move and push him inside.

Considering the talent needed to be productive as an O Lineman in the NFL I think he did well enough.  

As was stated Its still too early to rate them but there weren't any clear busts as I see it and hopefully that will remain that way.  

16 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:
  • Round 1 • Pick 9 (9) • DT Ed Oliver.
  • Round 2 • Pick 6 (38) • T Cody Ford.
  • Round 3 • Pick 11 (74) • RB Devin Singletary.
  • Round 3 • Pick 33 (96) • TE Dawson Knox.

• Round 6 • Pick 8 (181) • S Jaquan Johnson.
  • Round 7 • Pick 11 (225) • DE Darryl Johnson

EDIT

• Round 7 • Pick 14 (228) • TE Tommy Sweeney - Thanks @Kirby Jackson for letting me know I had forgotten a player

/EDIT

the only one not to play due to being on IR  was IIRC

Round 5 • Pick 9 (147) • LB Vosean Joseph.

I thought the Ford pick was huge reach,  reports were that he was weak and we should have taken Metcalf or Brown both who look like dominant WR'S

I'm thinking the first 4 did well enough for themselves. 

Sorry if I missed a similar thread in my search 

18 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The class has potential.

Oliver looked to have more of a noticeable impact as the season progressed.

Ford is not a tackle. If he kicks inside then he may have a chance to be good.

Singletary showed promise. Can he be a workhorse for us though? 

Knox needs to learn how to catch. Plain and simple.

Jaquan had a solid pre-season and could be a decent depth player for us.

Ford, on the hoof, looks like a tackle to me.

18 hours ago, 947 said:

Still looks good overall, but I think everyone here would rather have taken AJ Brown in the 2nd.

I was screamin for that pick.  Like I was JuJu when we took Zay.   Everything else I'm always dead wrong on but I have a knack for receiver picks.

The weird part of that draft is Cody and Knox could both end up sucking or both be reliable productive players.  We still don't know.

Singletary and Darryl both should have gone higher.  Ed obviously a great pick at 10.  Sweeney seems very good at getting separation and def was worth a late pick.

Best part is we don't draft head cases, so the team is strong and trending up (pay attention Cleveland)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

None have proven themselves except maybe Singletary, and though he's proven he's an NFL talent, how much of a pounding can he take?

On the other hand, they look promising.

Basically, it's the old stand-by ... it's too early.

Ed has proven to be an excellent player.  Elite production 2nd half of the year on limited snaps, and a few game changing plays, my favorite being the strip sack on Thankgiving day.  He was a force on national TV.

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I just went back and googled 2017 pre-draft QB rating, one site listed him as 2nd rounder, future starter, another stated "moved up to 1st round, but calculated risk, anything but a sure thing"  Another site listed him as 6th best a3rd to 4th  rounder (same list ranked Peterman #10 BTW)  Most all had Trubisky and Watson ranked higher, with Trubisky rated #1.  Another site stated 2017 QB class lacks elite talent. Peterman was ranked 4th BTW and the most under rated  right behind Mahomes at 3 who was listed as boom or bust

If he had gone to Buffalo with the WR's we've had, poor line play to think he'd be looking anything close to amazing is pretty crazy.  After three years, we still don't have an offense anywhere close to KC and not faulting the team for that.  Granted we wouldn't had had to use the picks to move up, (though a couple of those picks came from KC in the trade) so may have  been further along than we actually are in the rebuild, but highly doubt he'd have looked anything close to amazing yet.   There's a much better chance we'd be talking about him being a bust than anything great at least after year #2.  Maybe this past year would have started to see promise.

And he got to sit behind Alex Smith and learn the game his 1st year.  It matters.  Josh got to sit for like 1 quarter behind Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Disagree, but you knew that. He was invisible far too often, and as a DT in this system is going to be part of a rotation, anyway. Bad value at that pick.

I just don't agree he was invisible. I can't tell you how wrong I think you are on this.