Astro's "Pick-Six" Discussing the upcoming 2020 Bills Draft

MAJBobby

http://billsmafia.com/2020/01/27/astros-pick-six-february-buffalo-bills/

Its a good read in terms of players value at the assigned pick..  little taste

"Just like we did over the holidays, it’s time to pick six prospective players at each of the Bills’ nine picks. We’ll do this based on player value, fit with the Bills’ archetype, positional need, and work ethic. My “Pick Six”, if you will. You will often see these names grabbed by the Bills in the DraftTek mocks, and they will undoubtedly change as we get closer and closer to April 23–25, 2020."

"ROUND 1, Pick 22
Laviska Shenault WR Colorado
Tee Higgins WR Clemson
K’Lavon Chaisson OLB LSU
Xavier McKinney S Alabama
Mekhi Becton OT Louisville
Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama

The Best Value on DraftTek Big Board: Shenault.
The Biggest Reach on DraftTek Big Board: Chaisson.
The Most Interesting Stat: Shenault’s 78.2% catch rate to Higgins’ 65.6%

Who I’m Picking: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado. He was so versatile that Daboll’s drooling right now. The Buffs used him in slot, outside WR, H-back, tailback, TE, wildcat QB, and even a punt return (54 yards). He outweighs Higgins by 20 pounds. That’s before wings."

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I really really like what I am reading and the highlights I have seen of Shenault...he is big, strong, fast and quick and can be used in so many ways.  Outside, Slot, out of the backfield, etc...I think he would be a great fit as an almost X-factor in our offense.  And he has a cool ass name hahaha

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I really really like what I am reading and the highlights I have seen of Shenault...he is big, strong, fast and quick and can be used in so many ways.  Outside, Slot, out of the backfield, etc...I think he would be a great fit as an almost X-factor in our offense.  And he has a cool ass name hahaha

I'll have to see his measureables as https://www.si.com/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft

25 minutes ago, zevo said:

It’s so early on these guys...there is going to be so much movement on the boards based on pro days and combine...but nonetheless always interesting

I’m pretty much in the camp where I hope pro days and combine doesn’t move ones stock TOO much. The only way I like to see a pro day or combine move someone’s stock is if both are abysmal. The. I want that guy pushed down the board slightly. I am of the school that believes the most important evaluation tool is game tape, and it’s not even close. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 2

I worry that an x-factor "RB playing WR" who's a great athlete but not (yet) a great route runner isn't the guy to step in an help Josh right away.   Shenault can do a lot of things, but that's sort of a problem for me, in that this offense is very complex and Josh is still learning how to anticipate/read defenses.

I'd much rather get a WR who's a good route runner and has the size we need than a gadget-type who might take a while to settle into the NFL...

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I worry that an x-factor "RB playing WR" who's a great athlete but not (yet) a great route runner isn't the guy to step in an help Josh right away.   Shenault can do a lot of things, but that's sort of a problem for me, in that this offense is very complex and Josh is still learning how to anticipate/read defenses.

I'd much rather get a WR who's a good route runner and has the size we need than a gadget-type who might take a while to settle into the NFL...

The best route runner has been deemed to be Jeudy.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Brown a legit Route Runner, Beasley one of the best.  You can even sign another "Vet" while Shenault expands his route tree.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, zevo said:

Well, yeah.  But he'll be long gone by the Bills pick.

I'm talking about the best guy available at 22 (or there abouts) who fills the Bills need for a big WR...

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Brown a legit Route Runner, Beasley one of the best.  You can even sign another "Vet" while Shenault expands his route tree.

Right now, I think Shenault's route tree is about the same as Foster's.   

If we sign AJ Green, then OK, he can marinate.   But if he's expected to step in and be effective from day one (with all the pressure that entails), I'd like to see what the alternatives are...

Edited by Lurker

Just now, Lurker said:

I'm talking about the best guy available at 22 (or there abouts) who fills the Bills need for a big WR...

Right now, I think Shenault's route tree is about the same as Foster's.   

If we sign AJ Green, then OK, he can marinate.   But if he's expected to step in and be effective from day one (with all the pressure that entails), I'd like to see what the alternatives are...

But it really isnt like Fosters.

Due to being treated as a do-it-all player within the offense and wearing multiple hats, his details as a route runner have suffered. An average technician overall, his sense of angles and route directions are dull. That’s a result of not really having a home as a player prior to his junior season. There has been gradual improvements shown since a coaching change following the 2018 season.  

Glides into his stems with urgency and generates strong vertical push. Fairly sudden snapping off routes and he makes good adjustments on the fly against zone coverage. Has a bit of segmentation executing horizontal breaks but it’s still fluid relative to his size. Has a second gear at the top of routes to create separation. Dynamic to all levels of the field. Excellent footwork at the line of scrimmage helps him gain early leverage. 

He ran a much more diverse tree in 2019, although timing in these patterns may be a work in progress; wasn't constantly targeted despite separation. Beats press with physical hands/suddenness. Love ability to break off route stems at hard angles. Wins to all levels. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

"IF" Jeudy was still on the board at 15 or 16, curious if we would move up and get him? Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

CeeDee Lamb might be there, yet he isn't big but has drawn comparisons to DeAndre Hopkins/Odell Beckham Jr by some which give us a legitimate #1 WR if lived up to those comparisons.

Edited by The Jokeman

If Ruggs, Higgins, and Shenault are all available there is absolutely no way you should take Shenault, none.   If Ruggs measures 6'0 190, and runs a 4.22 liked expected he needs to be the guy, with another larger compliment being drafted in the 4th round like Bryan Edwards, or Collin Johnson.

Ruggs is better than Shenault in every aspect of playing wide receiver, including blocking which is kind of crazy given he is 30 pounds lighter.  

If Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs are all gone by the time the Bills pick I'd expect them to go EDGE or Corner.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

11 minutes ago, zevo said:

That’s part of the reason I think a trade up for Jeudy is possible. If he lasts to the teens (which he probably won’t) the Bills will be on the phone. They say he’s as good of a route runner as they’ve ever graded at this point. To me that says “smallest learning curve” and “highest floor.” Receivers often take some time to adjust but Jeudy will enter the league ready to go. 

5 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

"IF" Jeudy was still on the board at 15 or 16, curious if we would move up and get him? Thoughts?

22, a 3rd and 4th....something like that

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Due to being treated as a do-it-all player within the offense and wearing multiple hats, his details as a route runner have suffered. An average technician overall, his sense of angles and route directions are dull. That’s a result of not really having a home as a player prior to his junior season. There has been gradual improvements shown since a coaching change following the 2018 season.  

Glides into his stems with urgency and generates strong vertical push. Fairly sudden snapping off routes and he makes good adjustments on the fly against zone coverage. Has a bit of segmentation executing horizontal breaks but it’s still fluid relative to his size. Has a second gear at the top of routes to create separation. Dynamic to all levels of the field. Excellent footwork at the line of scrimmage helps him gain early leverage. 

He ran a much more diverse tree in 2019, although timing in these patterns may be a work in progress; wasn't constantly targeted despite separation. Beats press with physical hands/suddenness. Love ability to break off route stems at hard angles. Wins to all levels. 

I watched three of his games this year, because I was initially on his band wagon.  I came away being more worried than impressed.   

College football is full of do-it-all players who have a hard time transitioning to 'perfect this' roles in the NFL.    I actually think Shenault might be a better RB in today's NFL game than a WR.   Especially for a west coast Rams/Chiefs-type offense.     He might eventually be a great asset in the Bills scheme, but I want more of a traditional big WR to compliment Brown and Beasley...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I watched three of his games this year, because I was initially on his band wagon.  I came away being more worried than impressed.   

College football is full of do-it-all players who have a hard time transitioning to 'perfect this' roles in the NFL.    I actually think Shenault might be a better RB in today's NFL game than a WR.   Especially for a west coast Rams/Chiefs-type offense.     He might eventually be a great asset in the Bills scheme, but I want more of a traditional big WR to compliment Brown and Beasley...

He is a hard study.  Colorado was absolutely abhorrent to watch on offense, the offensive line had Montez scrambling before he was able to catch the snap, and Montez was incredibly inaccurate.

That said, Shenault doesnt run a full route tree, doesn't turn the corner like a guy you'd be picking in the 1st round, and is very inconsistent blocking.   He was a good wideout at the college level, but he isn't some 6'2 220 burner who is a lock to go in the 1st round.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Route running is something that can be learned.  I guess they will have to figure out if they believe he can become good at it once he focuses more on it or if they don't think he can.

Just now, matter2003 said:

Route running is something that can be learned.  I guess they will have to figure out if they believe he can become good at it once he focuses more on it or if they don't think he can.

Did go watch him 4 times, there is something to be said by the amount of visits they took out to CO

28 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Can't see Indy at 13 passing on him.  They have a huge need at WR.    The Bills would have to trade with the Raiders for the #12 pick to move ahead of them...

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Did go watch him 4 times, there is something to be said by the amount of visits they took out to CO

Yeah.   They did their DD.   

But he'd be a bit of a project and I'm not sure the Bills are set up for that this year...

Edited by Lurker

37 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m pretty much in the camp where I hope pro days and combine doesn’t move ones stock TOO much. The only way I like to see a pro day or combine move someone’s stock is if both are abysmal. The. I want that guy pushed down the board slightly. I am of the school that believes the most important evaluation tool is game tape, and it’s not even close. 

For sure. Most movement around team boards at this stage comes from the senior personnel guys re-grading tape over the road scouts initial grades. Most movement around media boards (ie. guys shooting up or sliding down) are simply the media guys catching up to where teams really value these guys.