Pro Bowl Thread

dubs

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t watched a pro bowl since Moorman was almost died before our eyes.  

I looked at the box score and didn’t even see Edmunds name listed.  Did he even play?

I'm just watching the replay this morning, but he started and so far has "played" most of the game. 

Surprised no one has mentioned it -- guess it's just how reviled this game is -- but even in this no defense game, Tre White defended two passes on the first drive. 

I'm not in on the pile on on the Pro Bowl -- it is what it is (and it's fun to have one last chance to see a couple of the players). However, the coverage does not do anything for the game. The one thing that's interesting about it (or could be interesting about it) would be the selection and pageantry, and they didn't bother to even announce the players. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

I'm just watching the replay this morning, but he started and so far has "played" most of the game. 

Surprised no one has mentioned it -- guess it's just how reviled this game is -- but even in this no defense game, Tre White defended two passes on the first drive. 

I'm not in on the pile on on the Pro Bowl -- it is what it is (and it's fun to have one last chance to see a couple of the players). However, the coverage does not do anything for the game. The one thing that's interesting about it (or could be interesting about it) would be the selection and pageantry, and they didn't bother to even announce the players. 

The game was definitely a joke. The Cox touchdown was definitely an old WWF type fake play. The announcers were absolutely horrible. No play by play. The announcers were way more interested in Kobe than the game. They were babbling about everything but the game that was being played on the field. The camera was barely following the play, much like the attention of the announcers.They had to talk constantly about their stats that were prepared well before the game was played. Any play by play was just  barely about the name of the receiver and the QB. Did they even know the name of anyone on defense? Defensive players were just there to fill the field. It was definitely touch football. You don't expect an intense game, for the players it is about the honor of playing, having fun, and not getting hurt. But at least have professional announcers and camera people present the game. At least pretend it is a real game to make it interesting for the viewers.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Can’t believe guys only give 70% effort during the regular season!

I still can’t believe they retire at halftime either. ?‍♂️?

I love football and I watched maybe 2 minutes.  But what really matters is the skill competition during the week!

It’s fun. The kids really enjoy it. 

It was pretty awful on the 2 minutes I watched.  I saw Fletcher Cox return a turnover for a long td and it just seemed agreed they would let him get a td.  All all star sucks but football is so hard because the chance of injury is so high.  I used to love the pro bowl when I was kid to see all the great players.  I think it still is cool to get all these great players together but there has to be a better way to do.  

I “watched” it while I repotted house plants. It was kind of nice seeing a few Bills in the game at once. I don’t think there’s really any way to rescue the pro bowl with the injury risk and current pay structure. IIRC the game pay used to be as high as the Super Bowl with the winning team getting substantially more than the losers. Salaries have gotten so high that the extra money is irrelevant to stars that have gone through FA. Couple that with Florida instead of Hawaii, being before the SB, and a lot of players just don’t care about it at all. 

Why do they even bother having this embarrassment of a game? They should probably just add a flag football tournament as an extra day to the skills competition. The offensive lines don’t block, defensive lines don’t rush and tackling is just wrapping up. How do the officials even know when to blow a play dead? 

3 minutes ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

I dont know why they just don't make it a flag football game now.  Thats what it looked like

?? we literally posted this at the same time

18 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Why do they even bother having this embarrassment of a game? They should probably just add a flag football tournament as an extra day to the skills competition. The offensive lines don’t block, defensive lines don’t rush and tackling is just wrapping up. How do the officials even know when to blow a play dead? 

I think they should just have the centre and one D linemen and they have to give them 5 Mississippi's before they are allowed to rush....

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I can’t believe Lamar decided to even show his face for the game after the skills challenge incident

Well the game itself doesn't matter, only they carnival style skills competition events during the week.......

Roberts scored a TD? Who cares, the games a joke and means nothing, no one tackles in it. Lamar only gets a 2 during the skills competition for accuracy? Finally we are validated and have proof that Lamar isn't a good QB and will be out of the league soon because he had a lucky year because of an offensive scheme that will be figured out!

Edited by apuszczalowski

I had it on for schitts and grins, saw one play in which Tre had absolutely perfect coverage on Michael Thomas but Thomas out-muscled him for the ball.  Great coverage, great pass, great play by the receiver.  Tre came down with a look of "how did that happen?"  Thomas is unreal.

• Like (+1) 1

From what i saw on "The Network" it looked more like a flag football game.

The last good hit i saw was a couple yrs ago when Lorenzo tagged that one dude & he got pissed at Zo for laying the lumber to him & Zo told him "it's football" !!

? Thanks for the memories Zo !! 

12 hours ago, ChasBB said:

In all seriousness, the Pro Bowl ought to be played as Flag Football.  At least that would be competitive.  No one wants to see these players get hurt in a meaningless game, so why not truly make it a Flag Football game?  At least then, you'd see real COMPETITION.  It would be a win-win - no one gets hurt and we still get to see the best players in the game truly COMPETE.  I'm not joking about this - it would be a good move for the NFL and this particular game.

you know Chas, I never thought I would say this, but I agree with you.  These guys would play hard if there was no hitting, and you’d get the best out of the skill players.  I’d actually watch that game,  and there is more to flag then most people think.  There is a lot of strategy involved and speed kills.  I coached it in a very competitive league for 7 years before I coached my boys in tackle.  I had more fun coaching them in flag then tackle and I played tackle ball for years.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a huge football fan.  I like to watch as many regular season and playoff games as I can, even some of those terrible Monday and Thursday night matchups.  I knew the Pro Bowl was this weekend, but I didn't know what time, what channel, etc. and I made no attempt to even find it.  And today, the next morning, I don't feel as if I missed anything.  I suppose it was nice to find out (from this board) that a Bills special teams WR caught a TD.

All star games are a joke and waste of time, especially the Pro Bowl.  Aside from the fact they prove nothing, they have to be a nightmare for thinking fans, team owners, and management.  Why would anyone want their best players in a meaningless game, risking the possibility of injury that could severely impact the player's and team's future?  The examples of such injuries, yes, are few and far between.  But the St. Louis Cardinals can tell you how much Dizzy Dean's All Star Game injury impacted him and them, and there are other examples as well, such as Ray Fosse of the Cleveland Indians.  And baseball isn't even a contact sport. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

John Brown should be out there ahead of Landry. 

Landry probably didn't deserve to go, but can't argue that John Brown deserves to instead. They have almost identical stats.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

you know Chas, I never thought I would say this, but I agree with you.  These guys would play hard if there was no hitting, and you’d get the best out of the skill players.  I’d actually watch that game,  and there is more to flag then most people think.  There is a lot of strategy involved and speed kills.  I coached it in a very competitive league for 7 years before I coached my boys in tackle.  I had more fun coaching them in flag then tackle and I played tackle ball for years.

I know exactly what you mean - never dreamed I'd be promoting flag football at the NFL level (the game has already gotten too soft in ordinary games).  However, the Pro Bowl game is just dumb the way it's played today - it's not that much fun to watch - it just looks like a bunch of overgrown kids goofing off.  It would be nice to see a competitive game - and if making it flag football does the trick, then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I watched it but it was pretty lame.  I'd say not flag football, but two hand touch instead.  Pretty much what it was.  Gheez nobody tackles anybody.  It's silly. 

I thought, give it to Henry.  Ain't nobody gonna tackle him he can just run all the way for a TD every time.  Then they did give it to him and he did the same thing. Run a few yards, stop, somebody touches him, he's down.

Kindof ruins the concept of the best vs the best.

If guys are that afraid to get hurt, just cancel the game.

Luckily real football (XFL) starts next week.

3 hours ago, ChasBB said:

I know exactly what you mean - never dreamed I'd be promoting flag football at the NFL level (the game has already gotten too soft in ordinary games).  However, the Pro Bowl game is just dumb the way it's played today - it's not that much fun to watch - it just looks like a bunch of overgrown kids goofing off.  It would be nice to see a competitive game - and if making it flag football does the trick, then so be it.

Chas, if it helps I called into WGR today, and gave them you’re idea.  Tasker and Brown didn’t necessarily say it was the right idea, but they did say something does have to change and maybe flag is an option.  Just wanted to give you the credit on this board.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chas, if it helps I called into WGR today, and gave them you’re idea.  Tasker and Brown didn’t necessarily say it was the right idea, but they did say something does have to change and maybe flag is an option.  Just wanted to give you the credit on this board.

Hey, that very cool!  The power of social media!  Thanks for that!!

• Like (+1) 1