Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

ESPN is showing Kobe’s final game right now 

still doesn’t feel real 

Thanks for the heads up, watching this now.  And yeah I’m still in disbelief

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And again so cute.  57 miles from Calabassas to Disneyland in an hour???  You've never been down here have you?   Not that the traffic is great up there but I did get a ticket for doing 85 in a 65 (after hitting my brakes while doing 90) at 5pm on a FRIDAY on the 101 just north of SFO.  

And seeing I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal the Northerners win the annoying trophy...by far. ;)  

here it is again ... 

Calabasas- CA to Disneyland Park - Google Maps 1-27-2020 7-29-50 PM.png

I’m no expert about LA traffic, but a friend moved to Atlanta from Florida. I look at Waze right now and it tells me 29 minutes to his house. He urged me to come up on a Friday afternoon (extenuating circumstances - I knew better, BUT) and it took an hour and 45 minutes to get back.  If I had a helicopter available I would have used it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

ESPN is showing Kobe’s final game right now 

still doesn’t feel real 

I caught the 4th quarter. Never saw the game before. Holy **** what a perfect way to end his career. He was so clutch the last five minutes, leading the comeback.

Every time they show his family though it's like a punch in the gut. 

Also this is one of the coolest things you'll ever see in sports. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And here’s this again. Calabasas to Disneyland in an hour?  Bwahahaha!!  

not sure how anyone can throw up google maps directions and claim accuracy. I’m gonna go ahead and trust you over anyone in 707

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

not sure how anyone can throw up google maps directions and claim accuracy. I’m gonna go ahead and trust you over anyone in 707

The 5 from OC through LA can be a horrible drive. I guess you could always take the 405 through the Sepulveda pass.....wait. Never mind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

I caught the 4th quarter. Never saw the game before. Holy **** what a perfect way to end his career. He was so clutch the last five minutes, leading the comeback.

Every time they show his family though it's like a punch in the gut. 

Also this is one of the coolest things you'll ever see in sports. 

interesting that Hayward disputes that he did this on purpose. It seems though like he almost had to do it on purpose, otherwise it’s the worst lane violation in NBA history. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/01/27/gordon-hayward-disputes-intentionally-aided-kobe-bryant-scoring-points-his-final-game/VumtHsw1sIRXYMoVG7ZyMJ/story.html

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

interesting that Hayward disputes that he did this on purpose. It seems though like he almost had to do it on purpose, otherwise it’s the worst lane violation in NBA history. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2020/01/27/gordon-hayward-disputes-intentionally-aided-kobe-bryant-scoring-points-his-final-game/VumtHsw1sIRXYMoVG7ZyMJ/story.html

It definitely looks intentional. Respect either way I guess, either for doing it or admitting that he didn't. 

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This story hit me hard.  First, I lost my dog named Kobe after 10 1/2 years of having him.  Saved him 1 hour before they were going to put him down too just because he had been at the kennel 3 weeks.  

Never thought we would be saying goodbye to the guy I named him after just 2 months later.  But that’s not really what got me...it was hearing about his daughter being in there and the other young girls and parents on board.

I was 18 years old and my brother was a day away from turning 7 when my father was murdered and he was about the same age as Kobe.  It’s hard losing a parent so young, especially when they are so close to you.  Heart breaks for his wife and other daughters who will all have different levels of grief as well as the families of the other souls lost.  

My brother was 7, so it hit him differently as he mostly grew up just not remembering him as well given he was pretty young.  I had to learn how to be a man fast and deal with one of my biggest hero’s, motivators and inspirations being gone at the same time.

Coincidentally, that was November 1994, and he was a massive 49er fan.  That’s is why to this day that was the only year I ever rooted for the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, and that was the last time they won it...a few months later behind Steve Young.  

Now 25 years later the Niners are back in the SB and I will be once again rooting for them for the first time since in honor of him.  And in my $100 per square SB Pool I ran, I bought 2 squares.  One says “Kobe” which was originally in honor of my dog but now has much deeper meaning...and the other was the 94th square and has my dads name on it.  

Last night went to Lakers HQ for the Kobe vigil and was honored to pay tribute and leave a message on the canvas tribute wall they put up with his pic to be signed.  Got to thank him for all the memories and most importantly the inspiration myself and so many others have taken away from his work ethics and most importantly dedication to his kids and family.

I'm so sorry to hear about all your loss. Thank you for sharing I know how difficult that can be

• Thank you (+1) 1

This article is from earlier this morning:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-online/2020/01/28/pilot-of-bryant-helicopter-tried-to-avoid-heavy-fog

What really caught my eye was this part:

"Details of what followed are still under investigation but there are indications that the helicopter plunged some 1,000 feet (305 meters). It was flying at about 184 mph (296 kph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute when it struck the ground, according to data from Flightradar24."

That strikes me as an insane rate of speed in foggy conditions.

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-online/2020/01/28/pilot-of-bryant-helicopter-tried-to-avoid-heavy-fog

"Details of what followed are still under investigation but there are indications that the helicopter plunged some 1,000 feet (305 meters). It was flying at about 184 mph (296 kph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute when it struck the ground, according to data from Flightradar24."

I would be very wary of that data, and it is a insane rate of decent.

8 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

because you obviously don’t say “yea I took a violation in order to make sure the opponent hit a symbolic threshold.”

it’s disrespectful to your own team but more importantly tarnishes the actual gesture. You just let it go unsaid.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, T&C said:

It was almost certainly unintentional. 

From the latest that came out, just before the crash the pilot radioed ATC that he's climbing to get above a cloud layer.  Right there that alerts air traffic control that something is wrong, since a VFR flight does not climb through clouds.  ATC will start treating the flight as a potential emergency - looking for it, looking to see if they need to divert other traffic away from it.

As a helicopter pilot said in the article " The aircraft’s speed “means he was completely out of control and in a dive,” Waldman said.  

There are two most common causes of this in aircraft accidents.  One is that the pilot was unable to get on his instruments and lost control of the craft.  He was an experienced instrument rated pilot and the chopper was apparently equipped for instrument flight.  One thing the FAA will look at is how current was he on instruments - had he practiced recently?  and was he proficient on instruments in helicopters? which is harder than instruments in planes.  By all accounts, this guy (RIP) was an experienced pilot in a well-equipped craft, this shouldn't happen.  And by the witness testimony, he was apparently controlling the chopper in clouds when first heard, and successfully climbed under control.  But loss of control due to instrument failure or pilot error is still possible; pilots can be oriented initially then be hit with vertigo or lose an instrument or get distracted and lose control.

The other thing that causes loss of control/high rate of descent is an unrecovered aerodynamic stall (has nothing to do with engines).  If the pilot suddenly realized he was away from the freeway and in terrain and "awsh**!" put the craft in a maximal climb knowing their lives were at stake, he could have pushed it too hard aerodynamically.  Helicopters have something called a "retreating blade stall" where the left side of the rotor, where the blades are moving backwards, exceeds its critical angle of attack and stops producing lift while the right side (blades moving forward) is still lifting.  Without prompt pilot recovery, this will send the helicopter turning to the left and sideways initially.  My understanding is this sort of stall can be difficult to recover from, because of the fact that one side of the rotor is still lifting.  If the aircraft was in a maximal climb just beforehand  that maximal power may now be working with gravity instead of against it.

Stall recovery with clear visibility is one thing.  Pilots train for this.  Stall recovery on instruments in a cloud where he knows he's near terrain, that's far more difficult.

The witness quoted upthread made it sound like a controlled flight into terrain incident where the pilot didn't know terrain was there and the chopper was flying normally until it went into a hill. If the last radar return is correct, the pilot was actually above (2300 ft) the terrain on the contour map I found of the site (1675 feet).

The debris field from the start matched up with a loss of control scenario, and the radar info on left turn and high rate of descent is consistent with the debris field.

RIP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I would be very wary of that data, and it is a insane rate of decent.

Yeah, if it's just a couple of blips from a radar far away it can be faulty and the absolute number can be wrong.  But the pattern (climb followed by left turn and high rate of descent) probably isn't.  There's a lot of radar in that area, I'm sure they're working to put together radar from multiple sites.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The witness quoted upthread made it sound like a controlled flight into terrain incident where the pilot didn't know terrain was there and the chopper was flying normally until it went into a hill. If the last radar return is correct, the pilot was actually above (2300 ft) the terrain on the contour map I found of the site (1675 feet).

The debris field from the start matched up with a loss of control scenario, and the radar info on left turn and high rate of descent is consistent with the debris field.

RIP

As someone who is for some reason, fascinated with studying air-vehicle crashes and the causes, I believe initially this was 100% pilot error based on the debris field and the reported speed. I think he was disoriented and lost visual markers for the hillsides.

18 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

As someone who is for some reason, fascinated with studying air-vehicle crashes and the causes, I believe initially this was 100% pilot error based on the debris field and the reported speed. I think he was disoriented and lost visual markers for the hillsides.

It's almost 100% going to be ruled pilot error of the sort described in accident reports as "PIC (pilot-in-command) decision to continue VFR (visual flight rules) flight into IMC (instrument meteorological conditions)." 

But that statement simply begs other questions.  The pilot was instrument rated; he had demonstrated he knew how to control an aircraft using instruments.  Unlike the LAPD choppers (and many others), this helicopter is said to have been equipped for instrument flight.  So he had the skill, and the equipment, to control the chopper by reference to instruments. 

According to the interview with the TWA hat guy, he couldn't see the chopper so it was moving above him in the clouds at a controlled, slow rate of speed and per radar, made an ascent just prior to the final left turn and rapid descent.  That would argue the pilot was, in fact, controlling the chopper by reference to instruments prior to the crash.

Now that can change - instrument can fail (though pilots train to cross-check and use different combinations), pilot can develop vertigo - but it begs the question of why.