Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Seriously!!

Also ... can you imagine being a 17 or 18-year-old high school basketball player, playing against him??

My heart hurts over this.  He was a gifted athlete and, from what I could always tell, a top-notch human being.  RIP.

He was the best of the best.  Even Magic said he was the greatest Laker. Maybe the greatest player to ever dribble a basketball. He was even a better human being. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He was the best of the best.  Even Magic said he was the greatest Laker. Maybe the greatest player to ever dribble a basketball. He was even a better human being. 

I was listening to one of the many commentaries this afternoon.  Someone said, "If you asked Kobe who the greatest Laker was, he'd say Magic.  If you ask Magic who the greatest Laker was, he'd say Kobe."

Very telling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The police chief said they wouldn't put the names of the passengers out until the coroner identify them all and the familys are informed 

I'm not looking for names, I probably wont know anyone anyways. Just curious as to the relations. Friends/family, etc. Doesnt really matter since it's tragic regardless. But just curious.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Someone said, "If you asked Kobe who the greatest Laker was, he'd say Magic.  If you ask Magic who the greatest Laker was, he'd say Kobe."

If you asked Shaq who the greatest Laker was, he'd say Shaq. That's the main reason I always liked Kobe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tiger just said that he did not know about Kobe until he stepped off 18th when a fan or someone else said to him he died and he was stunned.

the belief was he had known given many there knew.

fans yelled do it for..  and he didn’t understand it until then.

He wasn't a horrible human; he wasn't a great human; he was just human. He was a great basketball player and he affected a lot of people through that career.

Why do people have to hit the extremes with their comments on this?

Just accept the whole truth and reflect on it.

Reading the stuff about him and his daughter is sad. I'll definitely translate the personal effects of this story to my own life in a positive way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He wasn't a horrible human; he wasn't a great human; he was just human. He was a great basketball player and he affected a lot of people through that career.

Why do people have to hit the extremes with their comments on this?

Just accept the whole truth and reflect on it.

Reading the stuff about him and his daughter is sad. I'll definitely translate the personal effects of this story to my own life in a positive way.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.” -Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

The only sports related death that might compare off the top of my head was when Thurman Munson crashed his helicopter flying back to Ohio and died.  Even though I don't like the Yankees he was a guy worth liking.

I imagine news spreads more rapidly like that than 40 years ago.

Horrible, disturbing story.  I pray for his family 

For me being into golf as well takes me back to Payne Stewart’s plane crash.

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The establishment media is truly terrible. I get that it's a story, but give it a day or two (or week) before launching into what's is essentially "he deserved it" coverage. 

(Daily Beast and WaPo reporter)

The entire coverage today has been terrible. From top to bottom. 

Felicia is a 'journalist' for the Washington post. This discussion on how he was flawed could be had after family, friends and fans could have absorbed the news and grieved.

What dirt does Felicia have on Kobe's daughter and the others killed in this accident? I can't wait for that. What about the total disregard for the Bryant Family? Does anyone think they want this?

A real journalist would have waited a while and used that time to put together a story on the tragic loss of life, and then have a civil discussion about Kobe's life; good and bad. It could have been used as a piece that led to a more general discussion about the complexity of the human condition, or how much slack we give our sports and entertainment heroes, but nope. Bodies aren't even cold and this piece of human garbage can't wait to use it as a platform. We get this vile trash instead.

I am truly disgusted.

RIP Black Mamba. RIP Little Mamba.

My sincere condolences to the Bryant Family, Altobelli Family, and the Laker Nation.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

For me being into golf as well takes me back to Payne Stewart’s plane crash.

Payne was an active player who was ranked near the top of all golf when he died.

dale Earnhardt was an active racer

kobe was retired so there is a difference

years ago an active baseball p,Ayer died due to a small plane crash..it was Thurman Munson died in early August in 1979.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

There are also disgusting comments out there about Kobe.

People are sick sometimes in the face of tragedy.

There is a certain mindset that can not let a moment of tragedy pass without trying to advance their cause.

I'll leave it for PPP, I've said enough a post or two above.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What do you just land it in a parking lot?

You'd probably be surprised how many helipads there are around a city, but actually parking lot would not usually be a first choice any more than a road is for a fixed wing pilot.  You want someplace where gollygoshers can't stroll into your rotors.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

it was enough for him to quit the school so ...

i imagine planes are a little safer, he said something about anti rotation being a big problem.

Yeah, fundamentally if a fixed-wing pilot's motor dies, the plane turns into a poor glider and you look for a spot in your glide range you can hit (Edit: OK, "hit" might not be the best choice of word there)

If a rotory wing pilot's motor dies or one of the just-too-many Jesus bolts goes bad, there are some things they can try but the procedure is more difficult and depending on the failure they may just be SOL

• Like (+1) 1