Why do we call it Football

Don Otreply

This has turned out to be really cool, great answers have been presented, thank you to all who have contributed ? it’s time for beer ? ??

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Every scoring play ends with a kick (barring 2 point conversions).  Seems "football" is appropriate.

I would then ask why is the league wanting so badly to get rid of the foot/kicking part of American football? It appears in a not so distant future there will be zero foot, in American football... 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I would then ask why is the league wanting so badly to get rid of the foot/kicking part of American football? It appears in a not so distant future there will be zero foot, in American football... 

What about punting and FG's?

44 minutes ago, Greg S said:

What about punting and FG's?

Hmmm, good point, but still, only two situations that the foot will still be used in an actual play,  not really “foot” ball as it were...  the league seems hell bent to not use the foot, no quick kick anymore, no drop kick, anymore, soon no kick off anymore, it is really taking a big piece of the games excitement away, jmo. Just a thought but, maybe on kickoffs limit  each team to six players, making the kickoff have more potential as an offensive play for the receiving team, it would inject an exciting new dynamic into the game...

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Safety.  It's a fun topic to talk through but it'll never change.  Even if the players themselves no longer had feet...it'll always be football lol

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Kickbase. Next?

Miss Williamson, who was the girls’ phys ed teacher at my grade school would maintain ‘kickball’...and probably give you a box on the ear just to emphasize her authority in the matter.  Saw her do that to many a poor lad when both phys ed classes combined for square dancing.  The boys only crimes were two left feet.  ?

22 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Miss Williamson, who was the girls’ phys ed teacher at my grade school would maintain ‘kickball’...and probably give you a box on the ear just to emphasize her authority in the matter.  Saw her do that to many a poor lad when both phys ed classes combined for square dancing.  The boys only crimes were two left feet.  ?

Yeah, but was she hot?

46 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Yeah, but was she hot?

Oh, dear lord no.  A spinster in her 50s in the sixties, who had a definite mean streak in her.  Kids maimed for life (physically and emotionally) since they had trouble with the ‘Patty Cake Polka’!  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

35 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Oh, dear lord no.  A spinster in her 50s in the sixties, who had a definite mean streak in her.  Kids maimed for life (physically and emotionally) since they had trouble with the ‘Patty Cake Polka’!  ?

Sounds like a lovely women...?

• Thank you (+1) 1