Can Tasker still make the HOF?

Does anyone else wonder if Ray Guy was the inspiration for the Patriots* Deflate Gate? Who was checking the balls back then? There were rumors that he may have messed with the “gas” inside those balls. It seems like it would have been fairly easy to get away with?  Real or imagined, the Patriots* will take their inspiration wherever they can find it! 

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

He doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

Perhaps; perhaps not. He was the best all around special teamer I ever saw. He was great at covering punts, receiving punts, and blocking punts. When asked, he was also a pretty good WR.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Gugny said:

Best at what, though?  How many Bills victories can one look back on and say, "damn, if it wasn't for Tasker, we'd have lost that one?"

How many other players did they create a Pro Bowl spot for?  Not only that, he was so effective they changed the rules on coverage, after which he was still the best.  He made the old adage that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game true.

How many games would we have lost without him?  The Houston comeback game comes to mind, although I'm sure there are others.

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

You mean they changed a rule because of Tasker?

Other players have caused the NFL to change rules, and no one can remember them at all...BFD.

Ok, is there someone else they added a Pro Bowl spot for?

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's a crazy fact that I just discovered after reading your post:  offensive linemen dominate Canton:

46 OL

38 DL

30 LB

30 DB

32 RB/FB

27 WR

26 QB

9 TE

4 PK

1 P

Games are won and lost in the trenches.

Well, there are more of them on the field at any given time than any other position, so it makes sense.

Edited by Captain Caveman

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

How many other players did they create a Pro Bowl spot for?  Not only that, he was so effective they changed the rules on coverage, after which he was still the best.  He made the old adage that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game true.

Ok, is there someone else they added a Pro Bowl spot for?

All kinds of rules get changed  because of something a player has done, and many of those players aren't well known or considered "great" (didn't I just ***** write that in my first post?)

I doubt Tasker was the SOLE reason they added a spot. 

Regardless...HE AIN'T GETTING IN!

deal with it.

Edited by 32ABBA

On 1/25/2020 at 3:51 PM, Just Joshin' said:

So trying to understand - the best ST player vs an average QB.

But,but,but Eli won 2 Super Bowls.  Then let in all SB winning QBs and players.

if the other average, Super Bowl winning QBs are also in the top 10 for all time passing yards and touchdowns...then yea, let them all in.  

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

whatever you say

Here's are just 11 of them, many of the players are not in the HoF...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/26939/11-nfl-rules-named-after-people

And now that I looked up "The Tasker Rule", it's kinda comical to consider it a feather in his cap. He would intentionally run out of bounds to evade blockers on kicks...sounds more like something people here would attack Bill Belichick for doing. Stretching the rule book. It's not like they had to change the rule because he was overwhelming people with his athleticism.

"He changed the game!!!" .....LOL

here are some more....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/19/nfl-rules-and-the-players-who-inspired-them

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

Here's are just 11 of them, many of the players are not in the HoF...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/26939/11-nfl-rules-named-after-people

And now that I looked up "The Tasker Rule", it's kinda comical to consider it a feather in his cap. He would intentionally run out of bounds to evade blockers on kicks...sounds more like something people here would attack Bill Belichick for doing. Stretching the rule book. It's not like they had to change the rule because he was overwhelming people with his athleticism.

"He changed the game!!!" .....LOL

here's some more....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/19/nfl-rules-and-the-players-who-inspired-them

Seriously.   If Tasker wasn't a long-time Buffalo Bill, no one on this site would think he was a Hall of Famer.  Homerism at its finest (or worst).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Seriously.   If Tasker wasn't a long-time Buffalo Bill, no one on this site would think he was a Hall of Famer.  Homerism at its finest (or worst).

Honestly, I have seen so many posts about "He changed the game!!! They changed the rulebook because of Tasker!!", but I had never investigated "the Tasker Rule", and when I found out what it was about, I was surprised. It was like "Really, people consider this some kind of HoF accomplishment? This is what they are hanging their hats on?".

I really liked Tasker, and he was a big part of the 90's Bills team's success, but get a grip.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Well, there are more of them on the field at any given time than any other position, so it makes sense.

And it makes sense for good reason.  You just strengthened the "Tasker doesn't belong in the HOF," argument.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

And it makes sense for good reason.  You just strengthened the "Tasker doesn't belong in the HOF," argument.

I disagree - if you want to go by # of plays then there would still be a few more special teamers than there are now.    

1. I think Steve should be in based on his overall contribution - he really did change how the game was played and coached (in a way that did change the outcome of games and seasons), and to me that warrants strong consideration at least.

2. I don't think he'll make it, and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is that the guy from ‘Saved By the Bell’?

No but just a small example that we as Bills fans know about Tasker yet no little about other great STers in the league. Again STers IMHO don't play enough downs per game to make a big enough impact on most teams. Sure they may turn a game here and there but across a career not nearly enough to be considered a HOF. Case in point before the his blocked punt for a TD would most Bills fan know anything about Matt Slater?

On 1/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Captain Murica said:

I felt like after a punter got voted in that would’ve opened the door for Tasker getting in. 

If he doesnt belong in QUIT calling ST a "phase of the game" I think the best player ever at the ST  phase should be in I have no issue with that...I dont think guys that were meerly ok at ST should be in it would have to be best of the best ever and in that I believe Tasker qualifies...In all my years of watching NFL only one other guy comes to mind since the 70's(thats how long ive been watching) and that was years ago Bill bates....and should Punters and kickers be in..sure..IF they were the best of the best EVER at the position....

Either put in the best of the best at ALL positions or QUIT saying the HOF honors the best at ALL positions...straight out  say the HOF is for the best players ever other than Punters,Kickers and ST they dont count or matter.....now again that said...since the 70's how many guys would to ME that add to the HOF...about 3-4 since 1976ish 3-4 extras thats about it....would it be so horrible to have 3-4 more guys in the HOF that were among the best ever at their positions? over a 40 year span....thats about 1 extra guy every 10 years

one extra guy a DECADE would tarnish or ruin the HOF???   I mean we are talking Punters the caliber of Ray Guy...I havent seen one since id put into the HOF.....ST guys like Tasker and or bates...same deal...there are a lot of decent to very good ones..but other than those 2 I cant think of any id put in....Kickers same deal they need to be "special" have won big games or had such good statistical careers or be doing things other kickers could do at that time won SB/playoffs/big games... we are talking guys like Morten Anderson and probably the old patriots kicker gets in im betting

And same deal with ST IMO...there should be 1-2 guys in Tasker being one if not the only one..

13 minutes ago, CBennett said:

If he doesnt belong in QUIT calling ST a "phase of the game" I think the best player ever at the ST  phase should be in I have no issue with that...

I agree.  Which is why Devin Hester should be a first ballot HOFer.