Can Tasker still make the HOF?

I’d like to see him in, and he’s probably more deserving than some guys already in there, but I just don’t know that they set that precedent. Yet. Ray Guy and the kickers touched the ball, scored points and were highly visible. Tasker is stuck in the no-man’s land between there and the invisible (hopefully) long snapper. It’s not that HE is not worthy, I just don’t think the game currently valued the POSITION and what he was doing. I’d like to see that change. Some guys get in just because they played 15 years, while never being great....just good for a really long time. 

I also wonder if he had had a few years of playing WR more regularly if that might change some people’s perception? Does he just need more “name recognition” and to be seen as something other than a gunner. I believe they felt he was actually MORE valuable as a gunner, but as I recalled he wasn’t bad when he got on the filed as a WR. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Best at what, though?  How many Bills victories can one look back on and say, "damn, if it wasn't for Tasker, we'd have lost that one?"

Can't say............he was that good. He lived in the shadows and made plays on ST.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d like to see him in, and he’s probably more deserving than some guys already in there, but I just don’t know that they set that precedent. Yet. Ray Guy and the kickers touched the ball, scored points and were highly visible. Tasker is stuck in the no-man’s land between there and the invisible (hopefully) long snapper. It’s not that HE is not worthy, I just don’t think the game currently valued the POSITION and what he was doing. I’d like to see that change. Some guys get in just because they played 15 years, while never being great....just good for a really long time. 

I also wonder if he had had a few years of playing WR more regularly if that might change some people’s perception? Does he just need more “name recognition” and to be seen as something other than a gunner. I believe they felt he was actually MORE valuable as a gunner, but as I recalled he wasn’t bad when he got on the filed as a WR. 

"Last season, in Buffalo's march to Super Bowl XXV, Tasker blocked two punts, forced two fumbles inside the 20-yard line, recovered two fumbles and nailed two return men inside their 10-yard line." 

Seems as though he touched A LOT of peoples' balls... 

I concur about him at WR, he was definitely mismanaged there... He could of had a lot more glamour had they got him the ball like they should of way more often.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Can't say............he was that good. He lived in the shadows and made plays on ST.

He was great.  But making non-scoring plays on ST doesn't get someone into Canton.  It certainly shouldn't.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Please check in here if you believe Tasker should be in and Eli shouldn’t. 

its call a homer test. 

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

He actually does have name recognition. And it's pure speculation he would have gotten more catches if on the field more. Where would the touches have come from? Reed, Lofton, and Thomas are all in the HOF and along with Beebe and Metzalaars, how many other opportunities would he have had?  

Maybe in today's era he would have been an Edelman or Welker? But we don't know. 

What we know is he is a great story and if he can't even make the finals list with this weak and expanded class then he will never get in.

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He was great.  But making non-scoring plays on ST doesn't get someone into Canton.  It certainly shouldn't.

Greatness is the deciding factor. He was great.  Ray Guy didn’t score. The position was just not appreciated fully until more recently.  Maybe he gets in when they realize how the game was changing during that period, and he was a big part of that change in emphasis. Maybe he gets in as an old-timer, or whatever it’s called.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Best at what, though?  How many Bills victories can one look back on and say, "damn, if it wasn't for Tasker, we'd have lost that one?"

He had made MANY ST plays throughout his career and at the end it, he was a pretty darn good WR.

I am not here to argue if he is a HOFer or not cause I really don't care, but he was impactful for the Buffalo Bills and that's all that mattered.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Greatness is the deciding factor. He was great.  Ray Guy didn’t score. The position was just not appreciated fully until more recently.  Maybe he gets in when they realize how the game was changing during that period, and he was a big part of that change in emphasis. Maybe he gets in as an old-timer, or whatever it’s called.

Ray Guy was an individual punter.  Tasker was part of a special teams unit.  I think there's a big difference.

Just now, Gugny said:

Ray Guy was an individual punter.  Tasker was part of a special teams unit.  I think there's a big difference.

Ray Guy was also a part of a special teams unit. The guy who snapped it, the guys who blocked, the gunners who prevented a 25 yard net punt. With that point of view, a WR can’t get into the HOF? He’s just part of a unit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He actually does have name recognition. And it's pure speculation he would have gotten more catches if on the field more. Where would the touches have come from? Reed, Lofton, and Thomas are all in the HOF and along with Beebe and Metzalaars, how many other opportunities would he have had?  

Maybe in today's era he would have been an Edelman or Welker? But we don't know. 

What we know is he is a great story and if he can't even make the finals list with this weak and expanded class then he will never get in.

Not so sure about that once you get beyond Bills fans.  There's no particular play or game that sticks out as something fans would remember, no stats to look at, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's like being the tallest dawrf in town.  Nice...

I think he should get into the HOF just for putting on a 3 hour radio show opposite Maddie Glab more than once.   That poor mofo....

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Not so sure about that once you get beyond Bills fans.  There's no particular play or game that sticks out as something fans would remember, no stats to look at, etc.

Lynn Swann was a great player, but if you look at his numbers now, especially in light of today’s game, his stats look very pedestrian. BUT, he DID have a highlight reel catch in a Super Bowl that I remember to this day, and I’m not a Steelers fan. 

Edited by Augie