Mel Kiper has the bills taking Shenault Jr

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I like the pick, but under certain scenarios.

My ideal one.... 

Get us a RT & EDGE in Free Agency.  Re-sign Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson.  Cut Murphy.  Let Phillips walk.  

Draft Swiss army knife Shenault in the 1st. 

A pure WR in the 2nd. 

RB in the 3rd. 

DT in the 4th. 

We don’t have a need for all our picks so I’d expect later picks to be used as draft ammo to move around. 

I am not sold on taking a wide receiver with the first two picks. I do want one early and then another one late. One guy I am keeping an eye on is Lawrence Cager out of UGA. Cager transferred from Miami and had an up and down year with UGA due to injuries. He is 6’5 220. I want to see how he runs since a late season ankle injury. Cager is a day three UFA with a ton of potential.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsflyer12 said:

He was hurt much of season.  Played through a lot even though he could have shut it down for NFL.

Watch this piece on Laviska and his family.

https://pac-12.com/videos/laviska-shenault-jr-credits-inspiration-his-late-father-success-colorado

I’m a Denver resident, CU fan, and have seen him play many times in person.  He is a stud athlete, versatile, with good hands but has been a bit injury prone.

He is a amazing kid, with tough story.  Would love him with the Bills, but needs to prove he can stay healthy.

^ This.  My son goes to CU and I have seen Shenault play in person a couple times and many times on TV.  As Billsflyer12 said, he is an excellent athlete but seems to be injury prone.

If he is a “Swiss army knife” type of player then he may be a luxury pick for us.  I looked at the film and he will be a excellent #2 on a team with a great #1.  Tee Higgins looks more like what we need.  But I am no scout so I’ll defer to Beane.  WRs are tough to figure out.   Plus McBeane look for “Buffalo guys” so there is that element.  

I see the biggest needs as: 

1. Big physical beast of a WR that is a real #1 and a threat at all times.  
2. Edge rushes LB/DE - replace Lorax and add to sack total.  

With so many good WRs in this draft I could see picking defense first, then WR.  I could see trading down to increase our picks in round 2 and 3.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Estro said:

I don't particularly like Shenault as a WR prospect.  He seems more athlete than refined WR to me kind of like Cordarelle Patterson was coming out of Tennessee.  To me there is a lot of risk that he never becomes a dominant WR and is just more of as gadget player.  

Yeah Patterson looked and played like Shenault and got pushed up the board for the same reasons.    Explosive athlete but had shown about as little NFL WR type projection as Shenault............ but it was like "well at least he can be a great return guy or gadget guy if he doesn't develop".

Those traits actually add little value.   A gadget/KOR/PR is like a 6th round pick.

But at least Patterson came from a relatively average WR class that was exceptionally short on deep speed.    To some extent the reach was understandable.  Hopkins/Woods/Keenan Allen/Stills..........that was pretty much everybody in that draft.    

This draft is so deep in everything at WR it would be a crime to use a first round pick on a guy like Shenault IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

yes please. he is quick, physical, amazing hands, and can run pretty much any route

most well rounded WR to come out of the draft in years. 

He’s not even the most well rounded in this draft 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Patterson looked and played like Shenault and got pushed up the board for the same reasons.    Explosive athlete but had shown about as little NFL WR type projection as Shenault............ but it was like "well at least he can be a great return guy or gadget guy if he doesn't develop".

Those traits actually add little value.   A gadget/KOR/PR is like a 6th round pick.

But at least Patterson came from a relatively average WR class that was exceptionally short on deep speed.    To some extent the reach was understandable.  Hopkins/Woods/Keenan Allen/Stills..........that was pretty much everybody in that draft.    

This draft is so deep in everything at WR it would be a crime to use a first round pick on a guy like Shenault IMO.

Starting to feel exactly like this.  He’s a fun toy, but the more I watch and read, we should select him at 22.

3 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Is this guy ever right?

My guess is he is right as much as anyone else is. But there may be some good data out there proving otherwise. I’ll say this much for him, he has become a bit of a joke over the past few years but this guy essentially invented the whole “draft pundit“ Industry.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

My ideal one.... 

Get us a RT & EDGE in Free Agency.  Re-sign Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson.  Cut Murphy.  Let Phillips walk.  

A pure WR in the 2nd. 

RB in the 3rd. 

DT in the 4th. 

We don’t have a need for all our picks so I’d expect later picks to be used as draft ammo to move around. 

Let harrison Phillips walk?

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

My ideal one.... 

A pure WR in the 2nd. 

RB in the 3rd. 

DT in the 4th. 

I like your approach to free agency.

As for the draft, I can not see Beane going WR with our first two picks. It's a good idea, and the Bills certainly can use all the help they can get at that position.

Then again, Beane is unpredictable on draft day.

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

He was hurt much of season.  Played through a lot even though he could have shut it down for NFL.

Watch this piece on Laviska and his family.

https://pac-12.com/videos/laviska-shenault-jr-credits-inspiration-his-late-father-success-colorado

I’m a Denver resident, CU fan, and have seen him play many times in person.  He is a stud athlete, versatile, with good hands but has been a bit injury prone.

He is a amazing kid, with tough story.  Would love him with the Bills, but needs to prove he can stay healthy.

I was thinking the same thing.  Teams have a tendency to push down the draft value of guys that appear to be injury prone.  With so many good WR's in this draft, he may slip to round two.

5 hours ago, Estro said:

I don't particularly like Shenault as a WR prospect.  He seems more athlete than refined WR to me kind of like Cordarelle Patterson was coming out of Tennessee.  To me there is a lot of risk that he never becomes a dominant WR and is just more of as gadget player.  

How do you feel about Taysom Hill, considering the above?

I could go along with Kiper's prognostication...if Russ Brandon was still heading the show circa 2008.  The decision to take Hardy (RIP) was total need.  

It speaks to the penchant for (credit to @BADOLBILZ) using their 2nd round picks across multiple regimes on needs.  

I know it's popular to project Buffalo taking a WR in RD1, but I still can see them focusing on a DE and then moving around the board for a WR.

It's waaaay too early, but I could see that scenario playing out.