Pro Bowl Player Poll--Worst City to Travel To

Lurker

6 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

I currently split my time between Sarasota, San Diego and Vienna Au. Spend a few weeks a year  on Canandaigua, usually during training camp.  

66 years young. 

You?

I’m sorry but your impressions of Buffalo aren’t accurate. As someone who’s also very well travelled, I’m not going to claim Buffalo is growing more than other places but it’s not “still on the decline.” Life and progress in the actual city (read: not the suburbs) is better than it’s been in decades. 

...which is to say a lot considering how incompetent city government is across the board.

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As important: why is it an insult to be the worst nfl day trip for these guys?

Is it meaningful in any way that the rams are not looking forward to flying into buffalo and praying it’s not late in the season? Does that insult the residents?

Everything insults the residents...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

I’m all over the NYC metro area Sparky.

My point is, NYC is looked at like this country couldn’t operate without it and that is just false.

Manhattan has the limelight, but very little is talked about how truly awful places like Brooklyn and parts of Queens are. There are a lot of people I run into that can’t stand Brooklyn, so there is that.

By the way, there are parts of NJ I can do without, Newark, for example.

Newark has some decent spots mostly in the Iron bound that are gentrified (I enjoy seeing a hockey game there). Everywhere has ***** areas and places that aren't safe so I dont know many cities or states that lack areas you could "do without". I lived in Northern NJ up until late 2018 and while I couldn't stand the harsh winters I always enjoyed the area. 

But yes the pompous nature of a lot of people in NYC can be infuriating. As though you couldn't really possibly enjoy living in a different area.

• Like (+1) 1

I think if that poll was entitled hardest city to play in it'd be honor for fans to say players think Buffalo is #1.  But I have to think that plays a part in this survey?

I mean no offense as I have love for Detroit as well but how much more sophisticated/nicer is it than Buffalo?  The city didn't get one vote.

I think it's because the Lions play indoors and their fans aren't as rowdy as Bills fans.  

Edited by Another Fan

It starts when one arrives at the airport.  Most airports have charming and colorful murals - not Buffalo - everywhere you look, it's "cancer, cancer, cancer" - talk about depressing.  I'm not against these institutions promoting themselves, but can we make the airport a bit happier of a place by leaving that out of the mix?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:49 PM, Lurker said:

Per The Athletic:    https://theathletic.com/1554733/2020/01/24/pro-bowl-confidential-players-on-marijuana-testing-coaches-theyd-like-to-play-for-worst-city-to-travel-to-more/

Worst NFL city to travel to:

That naturally sets up the opposite. And if they had hesitation even anonymously identifying individual players as overrated, there was no such kindness here. One player offered up four cities before being politely asked to choose the worst one.

BUFFALO, yes, was the runaway winner, named by 10(!) players. “No charm, and all the negatives of Green Bay,” one player said. “Anywhere on the East Coast” was another response, declining to pick a single city. Said another who rarely leaves the hotel on the road: “I judge a city by the locker room, and Oakland has the worst.”

Also receiving votes:

Cincinnati (4)

Green Bay (4)

Oakland (4)

Cleveland (3)

Aaaaaand why should we care?

Not directed at you personally of course my friend. 

27 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

It starts when one arrives at the airport.  Most airports have charming and colorful murals - not Buffalo - everywhere you look, it's "cancer, cancer, cancer" - talk about depressing.  I'm not against these institutions promoting themselves, but can we make the airport a bit happier of a place by leaving that out of the mix?

They don’t even fly in and out of the airport as we know it. They get off a plane at prior aviation and on a bus. (With that being said there is a lot of cancer ads in that airport).

51 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Surrounded by industrial blight that left contamination in the ground. Cancer causing material

On 1/24/2020 at 6:49 PM, Lurker said:

Per The Athletic:    https://theathletic.com/1554733/2020/01/24/pro-bowl-confidential-players-on-marijuana-testing-coaches-theyd-like-to-play-for-worst-city-to-travel-to-more/

Worst NFL city to travel to:

That naturally sets up the opposite. And if they had hesitation even anonymously identifying individual players as overrated, there was no such kindness here. One player offered up four cities before being politely asked to choose the worst one.

BUFFALO, yes, was the runaway winner, named by 10(!) players. “No charm, and all the negatives of Green Bay,” one player said. “Anywhere on the East Coast” was another response, declining to pick a single city. Said another who rarely leaves the hotel on the road: “I judge a city by the locker room, and Oakland has the worst.”

Also receiving votes:

Cincinnati (4)

Green Bay (4)

Oakland (4)

Cleveland (3)

we hide the good stuff for ourselves :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Buffalo is a wonderful city. I spent 12 very happy years of my life there.

If Buf. was situated in Europe, it would be considered world class.

Criticism of the city is based purely on ignorance.

Don't get me wrong there are some slums and ghettos and violence but that is in every city

The architecture and vibe are full of charm and it's a beautiful place

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Buffalo is a wonderful city. I spent 12 very happy years of my life there as a student, and an employee.

If Buf. was situated in Europe, it would be considered world class.

Criticism of the city is based purely on ignorance.

I have got to imagine that the average NFL player is a 20-something year old kid that mostly plays video games, eats chicken tenders and burgers, and hits the bars/clubs. Nothing wrong with that, but the criteria are not exactly aligned with what really makes a good/bad city.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:07 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

Did it even snow for any of our home games this year? Just sayin.’ I’d bet (going out on a limb here) the weather elsewhere was worse in select northern markets.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They don’t even fly in and out of the airport as we know it. They get off a plane at prior aviation and on a bus. (With that being said there is a lot of cancer ads in that airport).

This may be part of the problem! Send them thru the regular terminal (it’s not like it’s crowded) and make them walk past the Anchor Bar on the way to the bus. Last trip I had breakfast wings and drinks. The smell caught me, and  I was spellbound!   :)

I don’t know where they stay or the route they take to OP, but it can have a big impression on how you view WNY. If they go along the lake and look at all the closed steel mills, it’s NOT a good look. 

A former tennis buddy in Sarasota asked the first time we met where I was originally from. I asked him the same question. He responded “the armpit of the United States”. I said “oh, so you’re from Gary, IN?” He said “so you’ve been there!”. No, I just drove through once. It was my impression, and it was horrible. 

Edited by Augie