Pro Bowl Player Poll--Worst City to Travel To

Lurker

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t doubt on a poll of folks that have lived in each that your opinion would be popular.

if I were a 22 year old from Alabama I’d suspect I’d be pretty indifferent to cincy as a reputation for a city to visit while Buffalo is “practically Canada” and has darn near the snow of the next two cities combined so it’s probably the one I’d be more likely to blurt out on the spot without much knowledge of either. 

I’m not saying the rep is not real. It IS real.  I’m just saying I think it’s at least overrated, and some might find it totally unfounded. 

I’m less worried about the 22 year old we draft (he has no choice) than the 26 year old we try to sign as a FA. And I totally get it’s a real thing for either guy. The facts just may just be overblown. I think the biggest factor is, and has always been, the dollars in the deal. NOT the ONLY factor, but the biggest one. 

I will say, improving the away team locker room is a relatively cheap way to improve the player perception of the team and our facilities. Include the Patriots technology and.......wait, that would be cheating! 

I think it’s clear, from a visiting players view, they see the very worst of what we have to offer. I get it. 

Edited by Augie

5 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can someone freaking tell me what other east coast cities have to offer that we don’t? 

Large five star hotels like the Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton. That is gonna be about it when you figure these guys are going to the airport to hotel, out to eat, and then to the facility and back to the airport. No one is going sightseeing.  No idea where these guys are having their meals but there are some very nice restaurants to be found in every city, including Buffalo. Their management may want to choose better restaurants. 

Another doofus survey getting the natives riled up.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Plus we have crappy hotels. I heard that from an NFL player. ?

I used to work driving some of the Bills Players around (4-6 years ago). They said the home team picks the hotel for the away team, and I am pretty sure the Adam's Mark is not an ideal place to stay. Kinda brilliant. 

I ran into the Colts a few years ago downtown prior to a game at The Ralph; nice kids, but all they had to say was “is this all y’all got?” with regard to downtown life.

I gave them a few recommendations for food and drink, but @NoSaint is right—compared to what they usually see in downtown atmospheres, Buffalo is lousy.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

Yup.  Reading the reactions from Bills fans is like watching Pavlov's dog, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Shocked!! 

Buffalo has been struggling for several generations and with over regulation and corrupt leaders, the city and surrounding areas will not improve.

It’s a sad, slow demise. 

That’s not really the case anymore. Slowly but surely it’s making a comeback. I think the Bills moving the stadium to the city and on the waterfront could really speed that up and revitalize the entire city.

12 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can someone freaking tell me what other east coast cities have to offer that we don’t? 

Football players stay in hotels and eat out.  The best hotels in NY, Philly, and Boston blow away the best hotels in Buffalo.  The best restaurants in those cities blow away the best restaurants in Buffalo.  The best night clubs in NY blow away the best clubs in Buffalo.  Its not what they have. Its the top end quality of what they have.   

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

What’s a little snow? It gets cleaned up. I maintain they ALL have miserable weather. I’ve lived in Cincinnati and Buffalo. I prefer Buffalo, and they do a better job with the snow. Cincinnati keeps most of their their plows at the airport, in KENTUCKY! (I will admit Cincinnati is getting better in recent years, especially OTR and such, but I still prefer Buffalo.) 

I agree, the media doesn’t accurately portray Buffalo weather. It’s obviously a far cry from tropical, but other than lake effect snow, it’s not much different from most midwestern cities. Also, keep in mind that lake effect is very localized (sometimes in OP).

The way they address the cold has always driven me crazy. You’ll be watching a Bills game, and they’ll often refer to the “frigid” Buffalo weather. People are under the impression that Buffalo has Arctic temps. Our average temperatures aren’t much different from the cities of the Midwest. In fact, some of them are far colder. 

Edited by SirAndrew

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

Airport to OP is not great for displaying the best B-lo has to offer.  I’m not sure where they stay, but you gotta know where to go in Buffalo and it’s probably not by their hotel. 

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet... Years ago... When Sabres were playing the Filthadelphia Cryers in Playoffs (I think it was the "hole in net series") we were @ Chef's and the whole Flyers team came in off the bus and proceeded to walk thru towards the banquet room.  

Hockey players are way, way different than NFL guys.   Most of them grew up in East Corncob type towns and to them, Buffalo is the big city.   And just like being in Canada, for those born there.    That's why so many ex-NHL-ers still live around here...

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

How would any of them know about Buffalo if they just sit in the hotel, drive to and from the stadium then bus back to the airport?

That can be said about every single city that they go to. That’s kind of the point as to why everyone shouldn’t get their panties in a bunch. It’s 24 hours

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1