Pro Bowl Player Poll--Worst City to Travel To

Lurker

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m sure we will see plenty talk about the random museums, hidden gem restaurants out in the burbs and hunting....

but for a 22 year old staying at the ritz in New Orleans grabbing beignets and hearing a street musician between meetings and then coming back to party it up at some offseason sporting event... the comparison isn’t going to look good for Buffalo. And that doesn’t have to be an insult.

New Orleans is a pretty special case.  The Superdome is within walking distance of the French Quarter, really just across the street, and across the city there are great things to do.  Most cities have stadiums away from the fun part of downtown.  If the teams stay near the stadium, they don't have much to do wherever they are.

• Like (+1) 1

The only reason that should be any kind of concern is free agency.  If visiting players have a bad first impression of what Buffalo is like, that may be an obstacle Beane has to overcome in persuading a free agent to sign with Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

The home locker room is pretty nice. I guess they should update the visiting locker room as well. Potential free agents shouldn't come away with a negative perspective of the facilities after a game here.

16 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can someone freaking tell me what other east coast cities have to offer that we don’t? 

You should just accept you have different priorities than many if you think Miami, Boston, DC, NYC, Philly, offer similar quality of amenities to Buffalo. 

Buffalo is great for certain lifestyles but Is going to consistently be the odd man out in lists like that.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You should just accept you have different priorities than many if you think Miami, Boston, DC, NYC, Philly, offer similar quality of amenities to Buffalo. 

Buffalo is great for certain lifestyles but Is going to consistently be the odd man out in lists like that.

It’s hard to argue that those cities don’t have more to offer, but where I have a problem is the bad weather rap. Other than Miami on your list, none have weather as a draw. I’d add Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Green Bay, Cincinnati, etc. as places with lousy weather, yet Buffalo is the brunt of the most jokes. Some lake effect snow a few times a decade is not the end of the world to those educated enough about the reality of things. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s hard to argue that those cities don’t have more to offer, but where I have a problem is the bad weather rap. Other than Miami on your list, none have weather as a draw. I’d add Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Green Bay, Cincinnati, etc. as places with lousy weather, yet Buffalo is the brunt of the most jokes. Some lake effect snow a few times a decade is not the end of the world to those educated enough about the reality of things. 

Buffalo- 94 inches a year on average

Cleveland 59

green bay 49

Pitt 44

Detroit 43

Cincinnati 24

its got a rep for a reason. 

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

The home locker room is pretty nice. I guess they should update the visiting locker room as well. Potential free agents shouldn't come away with a negative perspective of the facilities after a game here.

My buddy that played for the Pats ALWAYS says that Buffalo is the worst. I’m fine with it. The players we have seem to like it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Buffalo- 94 inches a year on average

Cleveland 59

green bay 49

Pitt 44

Detroit 43

Cincinnati 24

its got a rep for a reason. 

What’s a little snow? It gets cleaned up. I maintain they ALL have miserable weather. I’ve lived in Cincinnati and Buffalo. I prefer Buffalo, and they do a better job with the snow. Cincinnati keeps most of their their plows at the airport, in KENTUCKY! (I will admit Cincinnati is getting better in recent years, especially OTR and such, but I still prefer Buffalo.) 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

What’s a little snow? It gets cleaned up. I maintain they ALL have miserable weather. I’ve lived in Cincinnati and Buffalo. I prefer Buffalo, and they do a better job with the snow. Cincinnati keeps most of their their plows at the airport, in KENTUCKY! (I will admit Cincinnati is getting better in recent years, especially OTR and such, but I still prefer Buffalo.) 

I don’t doubt on a poll of folks that have lived in each that your opinion would be popular.

if I were a 22 year old from Alabama I’d suspect I’d be pretty indifferent to cincy as a reputation for a city to visit while Buffalo is “practically Canada” and has darn near the snow of the next two cities combined so it’s probably the one I’d be more likely to blurt out on the spot without much knowledge of either. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Buffalo isn’t as cookie cutter as many cities. It actually has history, and lacking charm is the last word I’d use. However, remember these guys drive from the airport to OP. It’s not exactly the most impressive or thrilling journey. Everything else they know about Buffalo comes solely from what the media has conditioned them to believe. Football players also aren’t generally known as high level intellectuals. Most twenty something athletes just want hip nightspots and sunshine. 

Bingo!  Exactly!  They ain't going for a walk around South Park Lake Park on Saturday morning. LoL...

Yet... Years ago... When Sabres were playing the Filthadelphia Cryers in Playoffs (I think it was the "hole in net series") we were @ Chef's and the whole Flyers team came in off the bus and proceeded to walk thru towards the banquet room.  

• Like (+1) 1