Pro Bowl Player Poll--Worst City to Travel To

Lurker

Per The Athletic:    https://theathletic.com/1554733/2020/01/24/pro-bowl-confidential-players-on-marijuana-testing-coaches-theyd-like-to-play-for-worst-city-to-travel-to-more/

Worst NFL city to travel to:

That naturally sets up the opposite. And if they had hesitation even anonymously identifying individual players as overrated, there was no such kindness here. One player offered up four cities before being politely asked to choose the worst one.

BUFFALO, yes, was the runaway winner, named by 10(!) players. “No charm, and all the negatives of Green Bay,” one player said. “Anywhere on the East Coast” was another response, declining to pick a single city. Said another who rarely leaves the hotel on the road: “I judge a city by the locker room, and Oakland has the worst.”

Also receiving votes:

Cincinnati (4)

Green Bay (4)

Oakland (4)

Cleveland (3)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

It may not be Hawaii but NO charm?

From Theatre district to Allentown to Olmstead Parks to West village historic district

There is tons of charm in Buffalo

I think he means “snake charmers”, if you catch my driftwood...

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It may not be Hawaii but NO charm?

From Theatre district to Allentown to Olmstead Parks to West village historic district

There is tons of charm in Buffalo

Buffalo isn’t as cookie cutter as many cities. It actually has history, and lacking charm is the last word I’d use. However, remember these guys drive from the airport to OP. It’s not exactly the most impressive or thrilling journey. Everything else they know about Buffalo comes solely from what the media has conditioned them to believe. Football players also aren’t generally known as high level intellectuals. Most twenty something athletes just want hip nightspots and sunshine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 12

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Plus we have crappy hotels. I heard that from an NFL player. ?

I have heard it here that every time the pats come to town the fire alarms go off in their hotel. Now that the news has been leaking about the players this off season I am beginning to think they may even have an arson on the team

I’m sure we will see plenty talk about the random museums, hidden gem restaurants out in the burbs and hunting....

but for a 22 year old staying at the ritz in New Orleans grabbing beignets and hearing a street musician between meetings and then coming back to party it up at some offseason sporting event... the comparison isn’t going to look good for Buffalo. And that doesn’t have to be an insult.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t even a little surprising. The stadium is near the bottom of the league. The visiting locker room isn’t nice. The weather is some of the worst in the league. The hotels are better than they were but not elite. Again, we are talking about OPPOSING players’ perception of their 24 hours in Buffalo. 

Gotta tell you, as a guy who has been to MANY stadiums, I love the Ralph. I know people want all of the ‘new experiences’, but I want football and I absolutely love the sight lines at the Ralph. 

I completely understand that I am an old fart at 50, but I love the stadium, the tailgating and hope they keep it and update from now until I’m no more!!! ? 

• Like (+1) 5

Just a fact. The good news is that many, many players grow to love Buffalo. I have always enjoyed my time in the B-LO and have nothing but love for the city. The bad news is that there's nothing you can do about the weather or the lack of "thrilling" attractions.

So as it pertains to the Bills, the number one thing they can do is WIN. That automatically makes a locale more attractive to players. I think we're always going to have an inherent disadvantage in FA'cy. That's why you build through the draft and target guys who aren't looking for thrills or great weather in FA'cy. 

I actually like the answer of "anywhere on the East Coast" because it irks me when cities like Philly talk smack about Buffalo; as if they have great weather because it's a few degrees warmer on average. Get out of here with that nonsense. Your weather sucks too Philly!

22 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

These players fly in, go to the hotel, go the stadium, and fly home.

This isn’t a indictment of the city generally— its an indictment of the hotel and stadium. 

Throw in the so-so airport, the abandoned steel mills along the lake and that about covers what they see.

I’ll agree out city does not “show very well” in that respect. If only they could see the clips of the Falls and the wings getting tossed, they would move to WNY in the offseason! :) 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Throw in the so-so airport, the abandoned steel mills along the lake and that about covers what they see.

I’ll agree out city does not “show very well” in that respect. If only they could see the clips of the Falls and the wings getting tossed, they would move to WNY in the offseason! :) 

they unfortunately watch coaching tapes and not cbs to scout opponents