Lawn Care

Talley56

5 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I have been seeing spots of crab grass in my yard pretty much since the Fall.  I fertilized in the Fall but are there any lawn experts out there who can recommend any particular Spring fertilizer that will prevent crab grass next year?

Get some Prodiamine and put it down pre-emergence according to label. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

We can’t all be experts in everything. Sometimes it’s best to stick to what we DO know and let the right people take care of the rest. 

My buddy decided top start doing his own pool care in Florida years ago. He had some fancy new trick to make it easy. After it went south, he had to drain all the black water, pressure wash the pebble tech, drain again then re-fill the pool. The clean-up process was more expensive than the pool guy for a year. 

I do all our pool care outside of the winterizing / de-winterizing. Although we have a salt water pool with chlorine generator so after the initial balancing of salt, PH, stabilizer, it’s pretty much just test strips and adjusting a dial, so it’s kind of cheating!

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Including grass seed?  ?

Yes, produced by Scott's. It clears the soil in about 6 weeks, then you reseed. Crab grass grows each year from seed, so you need to stop emerging seeds then thicken lawn to eliminate.

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

Yes, produced by Scott's. It clears the soil in about 6 weeks, then you reseed. Crab grass grows each year from seed, so you need to stop emerging seeds then thicken lawn to eliminate.

So, periodic applications, and I won’t have to cut the lawn.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I have been seeing spots of crab grass in my yard pretty much since the Fall.  I fertilized in the Fall but are there any lawn experts out there who can recommend any particular Spring fertilizer that will prevent crab grass next year?

I've been working in this industry for 20 years. If you live in the northeast, it's not crabgrass. Crabgrass (at least in the northeast) is an annual grass that generally comes up between June-late August depending on weather conditions. The best way to prevent crabgrass is to block it from coming up. Put down a pre emergent for crabgrass in the spring, I'd actually do this twice about 6 weeks apart. Mow your grass tall all season (I mow my lawn at a minimum 4 inches) and start to water BEFORE your lawn becomes stressed and dried out. Crabgrass is one of the hardest weeds/grasses to control, especially once it's fully mature, but it is an annual grass so it doesnt last forever. Generally once Temps get down in the 30s, the crabgrass dies for the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

looks like @Steptide has some good answers @Talley56..but my first reaction to this is always depends where you live! Second reaction is always to call your local extension office as they know the local climate and fauna etc better than anyone! And its free, and they aint selling you anything!

https://www.usda.gov/topics/rural/cooperative-research-and-extension-services

Edited by plenzmd1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:54 AM, WhoTom said:

I've never understood lawn obsessions; I just mow whatever grows there. Good thing I don't live near Hank Hill.

And mow it short, so as soon as it gets hot out it dies. :devil: