Lawn Care

Talley56

I have been seeing spots of crab grass in my yard pretty much since the Fall.  I fertilized in the Fall but are there any lawn experts out there who can recommend any particular Spring fertilizer that will prevent crab grass next year?

This should be interesting to me. I’ve got some creeping weed stuff that’s making me crazy! We’ve replaced our small grass area in the back yard 2-3 times in the last 9 years. It’s an expensive PITA to keep right. I’m to the point of hiring a service to spray, fertilize, trim, etc back there, or the next step is going artificial turf. Maybe a little putting green, and I don’t even like golf! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Golden Goat said:

Maybe you can make a mini football field out of the turf, like the NFL anchors have.

The grass portion is pretty small, like 30’ x 15’. Maybe I can put in a big vibrating board with little plastic football men that clump into a group and just shake while never going in the right direction?  

:) 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

This should be interesting to me. I’ve got some creeping weed stuff that’s making me crazy! We’ve replaced our small grass area in the back yard 2-3 times in the last 9 years. It’s an expensive PITA to keep right. I’m to the point of hiring a service to spray, fertilize, trim, etc back there, or the next step is going artificial turf. Maybe a little putting green, and I don’t even like golf! 

Artificial turf is kinds foolproof.

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Artificial turf is kinds foolproof.

And it won’t get brown spots when my son’s dog pees on it! We tell our dog to pee in the pine straw and she’s pretty good about it, but the little one just pees at will! Fortunately, it’s at least outdoors now. Progress. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

We had a huge crabgrass problem a few years ago. So we hired a guy just for the chemicals and he took care of matters. 

After paying him for two years and looking at a beautiful lawn, someone in my life decided we would be better off saving the money on the guy and taking matters back into our own hands. Last year it was brown patch and a minor grub infestation, this year it was a major grub infestation. The raccoons/skunks or whatever tore up my lawn feasting on the little fockers. 

It was nice when we could just call the guy. 

Edited by SinceThe70s

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

We had a huge crabgrass problem a few years ago. So we hired a guy just for the chemicals and he took care of matters. 

After paying him for two years and looking at a beautiful lawn, someone in my life decided we would be better off saving the money on the guy and taking matters back into our own hands. Last year it was brown patch and a minor grub infestation, this year it was a major grub infestation. The raccoons/skunks or whatever tore up my lawn feasting on the little fockers. 

It was nice when we could just call the guy. 

We can’t all be experts in everything. Sometimes it’s best to stick to what we DO know and let the right people take care of the rest. 

My buddy decided to start doing his own pool care in Florida years ago. He had some fancy new trick to make it easy. After it went south, he had to drain all the black water, pressure wash the pebble tech, drain again then re-fill the pool. The clean-up process was more expensive than the pool guy for a year. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

We can’t all be experts in everything. Sometimes it’s best to stick to what we DO know and let the right people take care of the rest. 

Speak for yourself!  LoL...

I get a chem guy only because I can't stay on a consistent schedule. And that spreader is buried in my garage. LoL... Who the heck has time to dig it out.

Anyway... It's only $30/application and they do 4 or 5 a year.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I get a chem guy only because I can't stay on a consistent schedule. And that spreader is buried in my garage. LoL... Who the heck has time to dig it out.

What? Are you too busy summering in the south of France? Never learned to work a calendar? You can do it! I believe in you! 

I’ll hire a guy in the spring. I’m just stupid and lazy. But I should get points for being self-aware!  :)

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

My buddy decided top start doing his own pool care in Florida years ago. He had some fancy new trick to make it easy. After it went south, he had to drain all the black water, pressure wash the pebble tech, drain again then re-fill the pool. The clean-up process was more expensive than the pool guy for a year. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LOL, I was just gonna comment that time, cost and expertise are all factors.

If we all had the time, the expertise would come and the cost would be less.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

What? Are you too busy summering in the south of France? Never learned to work a calendar? You can do it! I believe in you! 

I’ll hire a guy in the spring. I’m just stupid and lazy. But I should get points for being self-aware!  :)

I work a rotating shift every week.  I don't think the neighbors would like me fertilizing and mowing the lawn at 2 in da morning.  I do have a head lamp.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I work a rotating shift every week.  I don't think the neighbors would like me fertilizing and mowing the lawn at 2 in da morning.  I do have a head lamp.

There’s beer in it for you if you wear the headlamp to the entire home opener tailgate. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL, I was just gonna comment that time, cost and expertise are all factors.

If we all had the time, the expertise would come and the cost would be less.

Yup.  Time.  I sometimes let my grass grow for a month or more.  No biggie.  Chem-in' it should be on a regular schedule. Simply I don't live a normal schedule. It would get done... And then applications skipped. Other times, all the time in the world... But you can't double up on missed chems...  Just my missed meds!  LoL...

Lot of times, dude is out there while I am sleeping.  He leaves bill in mailbox... I send check for 30 smackers.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

There’s beer in it for you if you wear the headlamp to the entire home opener tailgate. 

I do keep it in ride for breakdowns on road.  Great handsfree changing tire in dark.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

And it won’t get brown spots when my son’s dog pees on it! We tell our dog to pee in the pine straw and she’s pretty good about it, but the little one just pees at will! Fortunately, it’s at least outdoors now. Progress. 

Sometimes, after the season, you can find deals on artificial turf.  As long as you don't mind the big white lines and a few numbers, here and there.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Sometimes, after the season, you can find deals on artificial turf.  As long as you don't mind the big white lines and a few numbers, here and there.

Heck, I might pay EXTRA for that!