Chris Brown article on Bills Draft Needs

22 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

The O line guys. I wonder where McBeanes finds those gems.
Except 1 position i think the Bills have the line in good shape. Draft O line for the future state.

RT are expensive in FA. Not sure what they do there besides figure out Cody Ford

I like the DE thinking. But yes

he might be a Witch to pull all that off.
Looking forward very much to offseason(FA)  draft , refining and defining next years roster. 

That must be a given ?
Draft another one later in the draft who compliments Devin and or trade for that as well.

This is big. About what the running game will look like. Time to dial that up.

I agree with most of the assessments in the OP post.

OL is still a work in progress IMO. 1-2 improvements could and should be made. I think Buffalo has one good T, G and C. 1 OT and 1 OG are still needed for improvement. An athletic OG that can help with the screen game and who could pull for a counter would be a big help in the offense. Spain and Feliciano are not pulling guards. I like Feliciano for what he is and he provides a valuable backup at C.

Buffalo has the third most FA $ in the league. Spend on one side of the ball and draft the other. With Josh Allen entering his third year, this is the year to spend close to the cap. Since the Defense was a top 5 unit, and McDermott is a a defensive coach I think Defensive FA's may be easier to sign than Offensive FA's. Go with your strengths. I would spend for proven studs on Defense and keep that unit in the top 5, and maybe improve upon it. It will help reduce the pressure on the offense while they continue to develop the draftees around Josh.

I'd let Shaq Lawson go, and put a non-exclusive franchise tag on DT Phillips. DT is one of the 4-5 cheapest positions in the league to tag and that includes K and P. if a team wants to give Buffalo 2 1st round picks for Jordan Phillips then great! It also prevents a valuable producer from walking away for nothing. DT is a smaller cap hit versus other tags that could be placed, and keeps the DTs together with Harry coming back.

As for OLB I really like Bud Dupree (26) and Matt Judon (27) as instant impact starters to replace Lorax. Remember Lorax was a terrific pass rusher his first couple of years here. It will be expensive, but at 90 million under the cap it not only fills, but improves a hole in the roster and makes it younger. Dupree/Judon, Edmunds and Milano is a very nice LB corps, that allow all sorts of mixes in 2 and 3 LB looks.

At DE I make Yannick Ngakoue (24) an offer he can't refuse. I mentioned him a year ago as my #1 FA for 2020. He had 41 tackles, 8 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles, and an INT in a down year. Jacksonville is in cap hell (currently over the cap) and Jacksonville is a mess. Having a natural pass rusher opposite Jerry Hughes will help both out. Jerry was at his best when Mario Williams was on the other side, and Jerry still gets pressure. I'd keep Murphy too. He was really coming on with disruptive plays at the end of the season, and would be a very good rotational/ backup.

With the draft I go best WR/OL/RB and even double down on any of those positions as my top 4 picks. Cherry pick talent after that. Why?

No need to blow a load on Derrick Henry or Kareem Hunt. Gordon (27) was worse than his backup. Hyde (28) has 1-2 good years left, maybe if the price was right. The other top RB FA's are over 30. Draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th round to compliment Singletary.

The best FA WRs are mostly old: Green (31), Sanders (33), Cobb (30), Amendola (34), D Thomas (32). Why would you pair a 23 yr old QB with a high priced WR that may or may not have 1-2 years left? Among the younger FA WRs we have Perriman (26) who has a catch percentage barely above Zay Jones. Do Devin Funchess (26) or Robby Anderson (27) excite anyone? Draft one or many WRs. Amari Cooper is the only WR I would roll the dice on, and that will probably get very very expensive.

The best FA this year are on the Defensive side of the ball. A bunch of very good producers in or entering their peak years. Buffalo is becoming known for Defense again, has some holes there and money to spend with a QB in yr 3 of his rookie contract. Being in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years must mean something to a FA. I'm happy 2 Bills starters on Defense made it to the Pro Bowl, it should make attracting defensive FA easier. This is the year to spend a bunch of the cap and ride the next 3 years out with our best foot forward.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, ngbills said:

Basically what I wrote in another thread.

Draft a WR; Sign AJ Green or Amari Cooper

Sign Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Plenty of draft picks to get more OL and other needs. 

Pretty easy....

According to Sportrac the players you want would cost about

Cooper 19.7 million

Yannick 17.1 million

Conklin 15 million

Hooper 10 million

That's about 62 million in cap space for 4 players and that's on the middle of the road for them as I suspect that would be closer to 70 million to get them and that pretty much takes you out of the running to resign your own free agents. Yes the Bills do have the cap space to make it work but I just think you are setting yourself up for disappointment to think Beane would sign 4 top free agents like that. 

One big splash is a good chance, two possible but unlikely, three or four almost impossible. McBeane has shown to like depth and salary flexibility. These big names tie up huge signing bonuses which would hurt this team's ability to resign players long term. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, ngbills said:

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Pretty easy....

That should be the plan. Spend the cap and get TE Henry, Nagakoue and Conklin. Not a Hooper fan. Draft Shenault and turn around and get Pittman in the 2nd. OL in the 3rd and pray Joshua Kelly is there in the 4th or trade up in the 4th to get him. Use later rounds to find a DE or Lonzo hybrid. AJ is way too old and injury prone and with the draft wrs, Amari won't be needed. All of a sudden the offense looks amazing. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I don’t want to draft another OT early.  They don’t get enough NFL style play in college anymore. They aren’t the sure bets like Pace and Thomas were.  A mid round project with good feet is fine.
Get front 7 defenders in this year’s draft. I think the defense is not as good as people think, and they will need at least four new faces in front 7.

Get an OT in free agency. Try and get AJ Green or Amari Cooper. I would spend heavily for an elite WR.  If not an elite talent then just get your WR in the draft. 
I’m fine with Knox and Kroft at TE. 

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He is still a #1 even at his age. It also creates a cascade effect for the rest of the receivers. John Brown will be covered by the #2 CB and we can stop pretending Cole Beasley can play outside. 

Green isn't in his prime but as a stopgap/veteran presence for our draft pick he's a perfect fit. And I think his injuries have a lot to do with Cincinnati's awful facilities. Our medical and training facilities are second to none.

I've seen 2 very reputable posters say the Bills tried to trade for Green but Mike Brown nixed the deal. So I actually expect us to sign him IF Cincinnati lets him go. That's the only question in my mind.

I think that’s it. I fully expect the Bengals to tag him. 

Beane may go after one top flight free agent, but I don’t see two to four.  He needs money resign the one he and McD want, need $10 mil for the draft, and a solid team always holds $5-7 mil for an emergency fund.  I see him wanting to hold more as Trey White won’t be cheap the next year, unless they want to put the 5th year option on him.  Then either they place the 5th year option on Allen to ensure he is the guy, or not.  It’s a bad idea as three years more watching Allen’s development is a good thing.  

We have to make White a priority.  Someone like him doesn’t come around easily.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, 3rdand12 said:

The O line guys. I wonder where McBeanes finds those gems.
Except 1 position i think the Bills have the line in good shape. Draft O line for the future state.

RT are expensive in FA. Not sure what they do there besides figure out Cody Ford

One thought I had on the O-line is:

Close to the last half of the season Ford played full time at RT once Ty went down.  He went up against Denver, Dallas, Balt, Pitt, NE, and Jet's all good defenses.  For a rookie, I think he held his own.  Could someone else a more experienced vet like a Ty have played better, yes, but he wasn't terrible either. 

If they re-sign Spain, that tells me they are planning to leave Ford at RT.  That's fine, give him another year and lets see how he does, does he improve more to the point he's a good to very good RT, if so leave him there. 

If not next year Feliciano's contract is up so then move Ford to guard. In parallel this year maybe in the 3rd or 4th round draft a guard, he could either take over next season for Feliciano at guard or of if you move Ford inside, he becomes somewhat experience depth the following year.  If you do move Ford inside, then either sign or draft a RT.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I agree with most of the assessments in the OP post.

OL is still a work in progress IMO. 1-2 improvements could and should be made. I think Buffalo has one good T, G and C. 1 OT and 1 OG are still needed for improvement. An athletic OG that can help with the screen game and who could pull for a counter would be a big help in the offense. Spain and Feliciano are not pulling guards. I like Feliciano for what he is and he provides a valuable backup at C.

Fair enough ^

Buffalo has the third most FA $ in the league. Spend on one side of the ball and draft the other. With Josh Allen entering his third year, this is the year to spend close to the cap. Since the Defense was a top 5 unit, and McDermott is a a defensive coach I think Defensive FA's may be easier to sign than Offensive FA's. Go with your strengths. I would spend for proven studs on Defense and keep that unit in the top 5, and maybe improve upon it. It will help reduce the pressure on the offense while they continue to develop the draftees around Josh.

I think they agree with you

I'd let Shaq Lawson go, and put a non-exclusive franchise tag on DT Phillips. DT is one of the 4-5 cheapest positions in the league to tag and that includes K and P. if a team wants to give Buffalo 2 1st round picks for Jordan Phillips then great! It also prevents a valuable producer from walking away for nothing. DT is a smaller cap hit versus other tags that could be placed, and keeps the DTs together with Harry coming back.

Bolded makes good sense

I might feel the opposite, keep Lawson. Phillips want to get paid and play like 3 down guy. depends on how Bills look at the whole group and where to find the upgrades

As for OLB I really like Bud Dupree (26) and Matt Judon (27) as instant impact starters to replace Lorax. Remember Lorax was a terrific pass rusher his first couple of years here. It will be expensive, but at 90 million under the cap it not only fills, but improves a hole in the roster and makes it younger. Dupree/Judon, Edmunds and Milano is a very nice LB corps, that allow all sorts of mixes in 2 and 3 LB looks.

Yes HECK yes. But likely not coming free. Actually get me both and spend to the cap lol

At DE I make Yannick Ngakoue (24) an offer he can't refuse. I mentioned him a year ago as my #1 FA for 2020. He had 41 tackles, 8 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles, and an INT in a down year. Jacksonville is in cap hell (currently over the cap) and Jacksonville is a mess. Having a natural pass rusher opposite Jerry Hughes will help both out. Jerry was at his best when Mario Williams was on the other side, and Jerry still gets pressure. I'd keep Murphy too. He was really coming on with disruptive plays at the end of the season, and would be a very good rotational/ backup.

With the draft I go best WR/OL/RB and even double down on any of those positions as my top 4 picks. Cherry pick talent after that. Why?

No need to blow a load on Derrick Henry or Kareem Hunt. Gordon (27) was worse than his backup. Hyde (28) has 1-2 good years left, maybe if the price was right. The other top RB FA's are over 30. Draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th round to compliment Singletary.

The best FA WRs are mostly old: Green (31), Sanders (33), Cobb (30), Amendola (34), D Thomas (32). Why would you pair a 23 yr old QB with a high priced WR that may or may not have 1-2 years left? Among the younger FA WRs we have Perriman (26) who has a catch percentage barely above Zay Jones. Do Devin Funchess (26) or Robby Anderson (27) excite anyone? Draft one or many WRs. Amari Cooper is the only WR I would roll the dice on, and that will probably get very very expensive.

The best FA this year are on the Defensive side of the ball. A bunch of very good producers in or entering their peak years. Buffalo is becoming known for Defense again, has some holes there and money to spend with a QB in yr 3 of his rookie contract. Being in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years must mean something to a FA. I'm happy 2 Bills starters on Defense made it to the Pro Bowl, it should make attracting defensive FA easier. This is the year to spend a bunch of the cap and ride the next 3 years out with our best foot forward.

Very good post and thanks for the well thought out perspective  !

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One thought I had on the O-line is:

Close to the last half of the season Ford played full time at RT once Ty went down.  He went up against Denver, Dallas, Balt, Pitt, NE, and Jet's all good defenses.  For a rookie, I think he held his own.  Could someone else a more experienced vet like a Ty have played better, yes, but he wasn't terrible either. 

If they re-sign Spain, that tells me they are planning to leave Ford at RT.  That's fine, give him another year and lets see how he does, does he improve more to the point he's a good to very good RT, if so leave him there. 

If not next year Feliciano's contract is up so then move Ford to guard. In parallel this year maybe in the 3rd or 4th round draft a guard, he could either take over next season for Feliciano at guard or of if you move Ford inside, he becomes somewhat experience depth the following year.  If you do move Ford inside, then either sign or draft a RT.

That was more than one thought , I think : )
all good stuff. Ford and Spain's crew contract might tell us what they think of O line down the road.
No Ford hater at all.

But i want to see much better pass pro from who ever is playing the position. 

I think Ford has growth potential still. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, ngbills said:

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Pretty easy....

But not how they operate, as they've made very plain.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

But not how they operate, as they've made very plain.

Yea there is not going to be a splurge. One big ticket addition I can see, and fits what they have done the last two years with Star and then Mitch Morse. The rest will be about mid tier hole fillers. Personally if they can get a legit receiving threat (whether a wideout or a major upgrade at TE) and a legit edge rusher I think they should. They have the money for it without it prejudicing other things they want to do in terms of signing their own and to me eventually they need to push their chips into the table. Creating expectation is not a bad thing. If Josh is the guy you don't want to get to the end of the rookie deal and realise you have wasted his cheap years.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, ChasBB said:

Nice to have 9 picks! ...

1st Rnd - 1

2nd Rnd - 1

3rd Rnd - 1

4th Rnd - 1

5th Rnd - 3 (additional picks from Cleveland & New England)

6th Rnd - 2 (additional pick from Cleveland)

7th Rnd - 0 (gave up pick to Cleveland)

Can still pick up quality talent in 5th round to develop - great to have 3 picks there and/or use to trade up with.

There is depth at certain positions and they may find a couple of late round gems this year if they hold on.  I'm not going to be upset if they use  them to move up, but those picks are  not going to move you up much unless you are talking about potentially moving up in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

-----------------------------------

I like the idea of always taking at least one DL and one OL every year in the top 4 rounds and this year it looks to be where they need to invest anyhow.  They can get a really good target for Allen at WR in the 2nd or 3rd and don't think they necessarily have to go WR in the 1st, especially if they have a good DE or T prospect that falls to them.  I always thought that teams drafting in the high teens and low 20s in the first round have an advantage of snatching up a really good players that somehow drop and I think the FO is smart enough to pounce on a really good player even if it isn't a position of "need".   I wouldn't be surprised to see an interior lineman drafted in the 1st three rounds, especially one that could play guard and center - I know Feliciano is that swing position, but Morse is one concussion away from potentially calling it a career and I happen to think that a great Center is a necessary piece for any good Offense to quarterback and coordinate the line.  They could also draft another Tackle because I'm not sure if Dawkins is going to be someone that they identify as being the long term answer at LT.

Edited by Ayjent

On 1/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, ngbills said:

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Pretty easy....

I know the bills have a lot of cap room but if you sign those 3 guys that's going to eat up north of 40 million per season.