Chris Brown article on Bills Draft Needs

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Basically what I wrote in another thread.

Draft a WR; Sign AJ Green or Amari Cooper

Sign Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Plenty of draft picks to get more OL and other needs. 

Pretty easy....

I’m sure one team will sign the best free agent WR, DE, TE and RT.  

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

It would be nice to have an elite offensive line. Been a loooong time since the bills could say they had one. That’ll help Allen more than anything.

That would also help the running game like it did for the 49ers

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Resigning Spain would be a great move, he was excellent this year.   A proven starter...use some cap space there.  As for receiver, the draft is the way to go.  I am not a Cooper believer and think Green is to injury prone in his later years, so not a fan of signing either.  Edge is critical, and that will be the #1 pick......and, another corner is always a good idea, a bigger on at that who can tackle better than the guys we have now.  And, who knows how much White will cost when the time comes........I am not forecasting how that dialog comes out.

With their available cash I see them signing one major upgrade on each side of the line of scrimmage. Until those deals are inked all Mocks are really premature. The good news is that there are multiple ways this could play out, and multiple minor holes to fill. The Bills do not need to go ‘all in’ on any one player or roster spot. It’s a good place to be! (For a change) 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Utah John said:

We just spent a second round pick on a guy who's right now our backup right guard, because he's not a good right tackle and because our starting right guard is a beast.  That's not a bust but isn't what you want from a second round pick.   Will the Bills invest even more high picks on an area that played well last year?  I would rather see them re-sign Spain and get an upgrade at right tackle in FA.

I think you're jumping the gun on Ford.  It's been so long since we have drafted an o-lineman early AND had huge expectations and pressure to perform, we don't realize how difficult it is for a rookie.  Injuries to Waddell and Nsekhe put him in an even tougher spot.  

I think the dude is going to be a beast in the next couple years. Great, nasty attitude and physical skills, just needs some work.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I think you're jumping the gun on Ford.  It's been so long since we have drafted an o-lineman early AND had huge expectations and pressure to perform, we don't realize how difficult it is for a rookie.  Injuries to Waddell and Nsekhe put him in an even tougher spot.  

I think the dude is going to be a beast in the next couple years. Great, nasty attitude and physical skills, just needs some work.  

I agree. People think all you only need to be big to be an O Line regular. They forget that unlike other roster spots the O Line is out there for every snap and is really a choreographed Unit. Much, much harder than a WR who maybe gets targeted three or four times a game and can run a sloppy route or block without most fans ever noticing. Give the kid some time!

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't think we need to draft one. I'd sign a veteran in free agency, especially since McDermott wants to have veteran leadership in every position room.

MJS, I know one of the free agency options mentioned in that article this week was Kareem Hunt.  Even with his previous substance abuse suspension and a small personal amt of weed taken from, but not cited by the Police wouldn’t hold Beane back from going after him.  They tried last year, but Cleveland picked him first, and he was a significant compliment to Chub who is much like Singletary.  

He is big, powerful, fast, can be elusive, and a good catcher.  I would still keep Yeldon, for his pass catching skills.  He wouldn’t be that expensive, could sign back who we needed, and probably fill some holes like they did last year.  Frees them up in the draft to go after two WR, a TE, and an edge rusher.

16 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

The O line guys. I wonder where McBeanes finds those gems.
Except 1 position i think the Bills have the line in good shape. Draft O line for the future state.

RT are expensive in FA. Not sure what they do there besides figure out Cody Ford

I like the DE thinking. But yes

he might be a Witch to pull all that off.
Looking forward very much to offseason(FA)  draft , refining and defining next years roster. 

That must be a given ?
Draft another one later in the draft who compliments Devin and or trade for that as well.

This is big. About what the running game will look like. Time to dial that up.

What OL "gems" are you refering to? Our OL is very average except at RT where Ford really struggled and Nsekhe was often injured as well as being below average. We need to continue to make big upgrades on the OL. I don't think our OL is in "good shape" by far. We've still got a lot of work to do there.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

What OL "gems" are you refering to? Our OL is very average except at RT where Ford really struggled and Nsekhe was often injured as well as being below average. We need to continue to make big upgrades on the OL. I don't think our OL is in "good shape" by far. We've still got a lot of work to do there.

I worded it poorly. Where can Beanes find us some gems for future state via the draft.

Beane has raised the bar in just one off season the line up to average or better than. and now has depth.

and yes there is work, but is it is no longer a crap fest. another year together will do wonders.

We disagree bu not by much. Fix the RT and the whole line will look better. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ngbills said:

Basically what I wrote in another thread.

Draft a WR; Sign AJ Green or Amari Cooper

Sign Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Plenty of draft picks to get more OL and other needs. 

Pretty easy....

sign the top free agent at 4 different positions??? Not gonna happen.  We signed one last year

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So there ya go, Bills fans, Kirwan says we need a difference maker TE, a difference maker WR, a pass rusher, and 2-3 young OLmen.

We can honestly solve everything this offseason. Sign AJ Green and Ngakoue. Draft the best pass rusher available in the 1st round. Draft a tall WR between rounds 2 and 4 (Mims, Pittman, Colin Johnson, etc.). Draft at least 2 o-linemen after the 1st round. TE does not need to be a big focus, Knox has all the tools to become elite - give him a chance to develop and use this offseason to fill the real holes on the team.

Realistically our offseason will not look identical to that outline but I hope it will look similar. We'd come into the 2020 season with a top tier WR and pass rusher, and young players at those positions to learn the ropes from the veterans. I think we will draft competition for Levi Wallace too.

I just hope we don't play moneyball this offseason. I'm not saying we need to be reckless like the Rams, but we have the money to pay two top free agents. This year is arguably our biggest Super Bowl window. It's not the time to sit on our hands.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

If Beane manages to get all that this offseason then he really is a witch and this team could be really terrifying.

Only if he floats.  Then again, what also floats?  Small rocks? Churches?  I think a duck also does...and Beane is no duck.  

Couldn't resist the Holy Grail reference.

Beane clearly isn't a witch.  RIP Terry Jones of Sir Bedevere fame.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We can honestly solve everything this offseason. Sign AJ Green and Ngakoue.

I dare not start another "what's up with the love?" thread, but what's up with the AJ Green love?  The man was a genuine difference-maker for Andy Dalton.   Great player. But he's gonna be 32 and hasn't played a full season since 2017.  

TBH, I'm not enthralled with the top WR FA.  It's one reason why I think going after a FA TE may provide more value (assuming Atlanta doesn't back up the Brinks for Hooper and/or we satisfy ourselves about Henry's health)

57 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

If the Bills don't find a FA corner and edge guy, I believe they'll go that way with number one.  There should be many good receivers still available in two if we still need one.

IMO....we should re-sign Shaq if at all possible, find a FA edge, AND draft a guy.   Like Beane said, a QB can't damage us much if he's sitting on his butt.

I liked Kirwan's comments on "undersized edge rusher" LBs.  I don't know squat about the players he mentioned, but the philosophy made sense.

I tend to agree that if they like someone who falls near them at Edge or OL in Rd 1, they'll wait until Rd 2 for WR (much though I hate to say it).  But that's how I parse the talk about "those guys go fast" at edge and "deep class" at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

I have always liked Brownies knowledge about the game & it's players he seems to be very well versed in not only the game but he definitely has the pulse of what goes on at 1 Bills Drive for sure !!

It has to be a life style you have to live, eat ,breath that stuff every day & chaats what he does i know there are people here Bills fans that don't like what he has to say SAY IT AIN'T SO ? but i would tend to give him a bit more credit than just the average fan if for nothing else because it's his job & i believe he's good at what he does !! 

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

what's up with the AJ Green love?  The man was a genuine difference-maker for Andy Dalton.   Great player. But he's gonna be 32 and hasn't played a full season since 2017.  

He is still a #1 even at his age. It also creates a cascade effect for the rest of the receivers. John Brown will be covered by the #2 CB and we can stop pretending Cole Beasley can play outside. 

Green isn't in his prime but as a stopgap/veteran presence for our draft pick he's a perfect fit. And I think his injuries have a lot to do with Cincinnati's awful facilities. Our medical and training facilities are second to none.

I've seen 2 very reputable posters say the Bills tried to trade for Green but Mike Brown nixed the deal. So I actually expect us to sign him IF Cincinnati lets him go. That's the only question in my mind.

Nice to have 9 picks! ...

1st Rnd - 1

2nd Rnd - 1

3rd Rnd - 1

4th Rnd - 1

5th Rnd - 3 (additional picks from Cleveland & New England)

6th Rnd - 2 (additional pick from Cleveland)

7th Rnd - 0 (gave up pick to Cleveland)

Can still pick up quality talent in 5th round to develop - great to have 3 picks there and/or use to trade up with.

• Like (+1) 1

Easy! Add Hunter Henry, Yannick Ngakoue, trade next years first, with this years first. CeeDee Lamb@ #9-10. Resign the O-line and add depth to the OL with the 2nd and 3rd pick, draft another RB in the 4th round.

Make a real run at it next year with a schedule that should supply enough adversity to galvanize the football team. 

Time to start swinging for the fence in the final 2-3 years of Josh Allens rookie contract

• Like (+1) 1