Chris Brown article on Bills Draft Needs

I have not followed how accurate Chris Brown is or is not about these in previous years.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/draft-prospects-to-watch-nfl-analysts-offer-these-opinions-on-players-who-can-he

He seems to be mostly summarizing commentary from Pat Kirwan and former QB Jim Miller from 'Movin' the Chains' on Sirius XM NFL Radio

They "believe the team's focus should chiefly be in the receiving corps and on the offensive and defensive lines."  (ME TOO!)

Miller: "For me just being a quarterback, I want to see a big red zone presence," said Miller. "Not that their receivers weren't productive, but they're smaller type receivers. For me, I like receivers that kind of fulfill every role. You've got your slot guy. You've got your big red zone guy. You've got your speed guy and they have most of those, but I'd like to see a red zone threat. This is a big wide receiver class that they can tap into and you look at the guys last year from (DK) Metcalf, who went in the second round. Deebo Samuel went second round. There were some big receivers that played and played well that offered that size."

Kirwan: "The Super Bowl is going to make every GM think about their tight end situation. You've got the two best tight ends in the league who made it to the Super Bowl in Kelce and Kittle. They change games. .....The Bills drafted Knox last year, but why not take another swing? Sweeney was a later round pick, but you look at all the teams that have two good ones. They're successful. The Ravens are playing three tight ends. And Knox and Sweeney were productive, but if you can get a difference maker you do it."

On OL, Kirwin doles some gouge from Beane:  "I was just talking to Brandon (Beane)," said Kirwan. "As much as you bought an offensive line, literally four out of the five starters, the way he said it I think they're going to tap into the draft and pick two or three young ones, because they're not only important to have, they'll help Josh Allen."

Kirwan believes Buffalo will (also) be looking for a pass rusher."You know they're going to try to have to find one, or with their cap space buy one," said Kirwan of the Bills. "I always say buy one and draft one. It's no good with just one guy. It's too easy to block it. I mean, if you get one on both sides, now you're in business. I would not, however, take a guy in free agency that's over 26."

So there ya go, Bills fans, Kirwan says we need a difference maker TE, a difference maker WR, a pass rusher, and 2-3 young OLmen.

Kirwan offers an evaluation of two linebackers of interest who "possesses a similar skill set to that of Lorenzo Alexander."

"I watched the linebackers here at the Senior Bowl and the kid from Wisconsin, Zack Baun, he can play (strong side) or (weak side). I think he can blitz. The Michigan kid, (Joshua) Uche. They can both come off the edge like Alexander did.  ....T hey stay out on the field and convert to an undersized speed rusher. And since you're not going to take one in the first or second round, the way the world is molded today that's a way to add another pass rusher and you can get one of those guys in the third or fourth round that can play."

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Warcodered said:

If Beane manages to get all that this offseason then he really is a witch and this team could be really terrifying.

The O line guys. I wonder where McBeanes finds those gems.
Except 1 position i think the Bills have the line in good shape. Draft O line for the future state.

RT are expensive in FA. Not sure what they do there besides figure out Cody Ford

I like the DE thinking. But yes

he might be a Witch to pull all that off.
Looking forward very much to offseason(FA)  draft , refining and defining next years roster. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's what we need. Plus a change of pace running back who isn't 96 years old.

That must be a given ?
Draft another one later in the draft who compliments Devin and or trade for that as well.

This is big. About what the running game will look like. Time to dial that up.

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

That must be a given ?

Draft another one later in the draft who compliments Devin and or trade for that as well.

This is big. About what the running game will look like. Time to dial that up.

I don't think we need to draft one. I'd sign a veteran in free agency, especially since McDermott wants to have veteran leadership in every position room.

Just now, MJS said:

I don't think we need to draft one. I'd sign a veteran in free agency, especially since McDermott wants to have veteran leadership in every position room.

good point about McDs MO in the locker room.

But i would not be surprised to see Bills keep the Vet they already have one more year. and let him work on the Draft pick. (later pick ( as i think they have their feature back in Devin

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s a must.  Fortunately, easy to find, though.

I don't feel the need for another Yeldon.

nothing against the boy : ) 

We just spent a second round pick on a guy who's right now our backup right guard, because he's not a good right tackle and because our starting right guard is a beast.  That's not a bust but isn't what you want from a second round pick.   Will the Bills invest even more high picks on an area that played well last year?  I would rather see them re-sign Spain and get an upgrade at right tackle in FA.

The reason Kittle and Kelce are important is a numbers game.  Defenses can account for just so many threats, and they give less attention to others, including TEs.  When you have a dominant TE, suddenly there's always someone open because the defense has to do more than it was designed to do.  But, great TEs appear to be even rarer than great QBs.  The guys with the size and physique to play TE are playing strong forward instead.

One thing I like about this past season is that there is a wide variety of what works.  The Ravens play three tight ends with a power game.  The Titans use a power game to overcome weaknesses in their roster.  180 degrees away you have the Chiefs with their wide-open attack.  This is just great, really.  Coaches are drafting and acquiring players to fit a certain style, and then adjusting their coaching to fit the players.  The good coaches, at least.  The Bills are doing that too.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If Beane manages to get all that this offseason then he really is a witch and this team could be really terrifying.

After almost two decades........I’d be thrilled if they can terrify the other team instead of ME! Turning that corner, baby!  

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So there ya go, Bills fans, Kirwan says we need a difference maker TE, a difference maker WR, a pass rusher, and 2-3 young OLmen.

Basically what I wrote in another thread.

Draft a WR; Sign AJ Green or Amari Cooper

Sign Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Plenty of draft picks to get more OL and other needs. 

Pretty easy....

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Utah John said:

We just spent a second round pick on a guy who's right now our backup right guard, because he's not a good right tackle and because our starting right guard is a beast.  That's not a bust but isn't what you want from a second round pick.   Will the Bills invest even more high picks on an area that played well last year?  I would rather see them re-sign Spain and get an upgrade at right tackle in FA.

The reason Kittle and Kelce are important is a numbers game.  Defenses can account for just so many threats, and they give less attention to others, including TEs.  When you have a dominant TE, suddenly there's always someone open because the defense has to do more than it was designed to do.  But, great TEs appear to be even rarer than great QBs.  The guys with the size and physique to play TE are playing strong forward instead.

One thing I like about this past season is that there is a wide variety of what works.  The Ravens play three tight ends with a power game.  The Titans use a power game to overcome weaknesses in their roster.  180 degrees away you have the Chiefs with their wide-open attack.  This is just great, really.  Coaches are drafting and acquiring players to fit a certain style, and then adjusting their coaching to fit the players.  The good coaches, at least.  The Bills are doing that too.

hey....if we can afford a 2nd round pick on a "backup" guard, then we must be getting better as a team. and if he happens to blossom into a stellar, or even average starter, then that pick would be well spent. Ford will be fine IMO. and a benefit to the team moving forward. just my opinion

• Like (+1) 5

47 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Just a point that there were times when our OL didn't play so well.  Eagles, Browns, NE, Ravens, Houston.  Did not open holes for the run game consistently.

Spain is a FA and I think he's part of the run game problem.  Unless we re-sign him (and he's gonna want $$), we have space for 2 G.

I don't know if Ford has ever played LG.  I believe Feliciano has, but I don't know how he plays there vs. RG.

There also is the point that rookie OL sometimes take a step their 2nd year.  Not always but sometimes.

I don't see the 2-3 picks on OL in FA, myself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I think we go DE in round 1 and move up in the 2nd round for a WR

Don't be surprised if we go CB in rounds 1-2  of course it depends what happens in the free agency, but it wouldn't surprise me at all 

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Basically what I wrote in another thread.

Draft a WR; Sign AJ Green or Amari Cooper

Sign Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Yannick

Sign Conklin

Plenty of draft picks to get more OL and other needs. 

Pretty easy....

The FA’s sound good but I don’t if we would have enough room under the cap to sign all of them plus our home grown talent that will require extending...

• Like (+1) 1

How do we know what the draft needs are when FA hasn’t started yet?

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The FA’s sound good but I don’t if we would have enough room under the cap to sign all of them plus our home grown talent that will require extending...

I think the Bills will definitely go with one or two splash FA’s (see Morse from last year).

They might go for a home run on each side of he ball. 

And there will still be oodles of money left to do what they need to do.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have not followed how accurate Chris Brown is or is not about these in previous years.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/draft-prospects-to-watch-nfl-analysts-offer-these-opinions-on-players-who-can-he

He seems to be mostly summarizing commentary from Pat Kirwan and former QB Jim Miller from 'Movin' the Chains' on Sirius XM NFL Radio

They "believe the team's focus should chiefly be in the receiving corps and on the offensive and defensive lines."  (ME TOO!)

Miller: "For me just being a quarterback, I want to see a big red zone presence," said Miller. "Not that their receivers weren't productive, but they're smaller type receivers. For me, I like receivers that kind of fulfill every role. You've got your slot guy. You've got your big red zone guy. You've got your speed guy and they have most of those, but I'd like to see a red zone threat. This is a big wide receiver class that they can tap into and you look at the guys last year from (DK) Metcalf, who went in the second round. Deebo Samuel went second round. There were some big receivers that played and played well that offered that size."

Kirwan: "The Super Bowl is going to make every GM think about their tight end situation. You've got the two best tight ends in the league who made it to the Super Bowl in Kelce and Kittle. They change games. .....The Bills drafted Knox last year, but why not take another swing? Sweeney was a later round pick, but you look at all the teams that have two good ones. They're successful. The Ravens are playing three tight ends. And Knox and Sweeney were productive, but if you can get a difference maker you do it."

On OL, Kirwin doles some gouge from Beane:  "I was just talking to Brandon (Beane)," said Kirwan. "As much as you bought an offensive line, literally four out of the five starters, the way he said it I think they're going to tap into the draft and pick two or three young ones, because they're not only important to have, they'll help Josh Allen."

Kirwan believes Buffalo will (also) be looking for a pass rusher."You know they're going to try to have to find one, or with their cap space buy one," said Kirwan of the Bills. "I always say buy one and draft one. It's no good with just one guy. It's too easy to block it. I mean, if you get one on both sides, now you're in business. I would not, however, take a guy in free agency that's over 26."

Kirwan offers an evaluation of two linebackers of interest who "possesses a similar skill set to that of Lorenzo Alexander."

"I watched the linebackers here at the Senior Bowl and the kid from Wisconsin, Zack Baun, he can play (strong side) or (weak side). I think he can blitz. The Michigan kid, (Joshua) Uche. They can both come off the edge like Alexander did.  ....T hey stay out on the field and convert to an undersized speed rusher. And since you're not going to take one in the first or second round, the way the world is molded today that's a way to add another pass rusher and you can get one of those guys in the third or fourth round that can play."

Best show hands down on NFLR.  They almost always give you an interesting perspective.

I prefer to draft O-Linemen later on. Especially this year, I think it’s a bad O-Line class in general. There are just so many guys that have hit that are late rounders or undrafted. I think we just need to keep building the depth and the majority of the group just needs time on task.

I think he’s totally correct about edge rushers. Even if they get Shaq back, I think he and Hughes are rotational guys at best. Sign a stud and draft a guy who can rotate with one of Hughes/Lawson, or vice versa, draft a stud and sign a mid level type of player. 

I believe they should draft 2 receivers and sign 1 as well. The signee could be as simple a guy as Geronimo Allison., just added competition. But with the depth of this class they need to draft at least two, one in rounds 1-2 and one in rounds 3-5. 

As for tight end, if Hooper is willing to come to Buffalo, I’d look into it. He and Knox would be a solid 1/2 punch there. If not, then I’m fine with the group we have for another year. 

As for that edge/SLB hybrid spot vacated by Zo, I would love to see either of Baun or Uche. I believe Baun will be a top-40 pick though. Uche should be available in the 3rd or 4th.

I also believe running back is a draft need as well. Maybe a day 3 player but someone who can come and contribute behind Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1