Bills fan petitions NFL to move Super Bowls to Saturdays

7 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

The game is usually done by 10 pm. I don't see what the big deal is. Is 10 pm past peoples bed times?

Same here....never quite understood the need to have a day off from work after enduring the strain of sitting on your sofa watching a football game until 10pm.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

He's not a real Bill's fan he has two teams

No, but he can punctuate.

7 hours ago, Chicharito said:

I think all NFL games should be on Saturday. 

Oy vey!

I’m sure the Buffalo News will be reminding us at some point that no matter if a Saturday or Sunday, it’s the busiest day of the year for pizza joints.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I actually made a post last year about how I thought the day after the Super Bowl should be considered a holiday called "Super Monday" since most people seem to call off work the day after the Super Bowl anyway and most companies end up losing a lot of money because of it. I got reemed by people on here saying that that was a bad idea because holidays should only be for things that mean something to the country as if we don't have enough holidays like that already. I'm all for moving it to a Saturday as well. I always take a vacation day the day after but would prefer to have the day off without having to blow a vacation day.

6 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You are the 1st one to get it.  I was thinking something similar but from a different angle.  When I go to a Super Bowl city I want the tourism mixed with the anticipation of a future game and the day I do my sightseeing and do things like the NFL Experience is Saturday, the day before the game.  Once the game is over half the fans will be too disappointed to want to do things football related.  I know Saturday is when I'm doing my most spending.  This is especially true when the tourism is in a different area than the game, like Super Bowl 50 when the big football and non-football big events were in San Francisco. Saturday we went to the NFL Experience in SF, restaurants in SF,  etc,Sunday down to Santa Clara.  It was a similar thing when the game was in NJ and the big events were in Manhattan for the tourists.  

The "schedule" of a Super Bowl is quite simple and predictable, and it's as much about the NFL courting corporations as anything football related.

Corporate jets arrive Friday, hotel rooms and suites rented  and "conferences" and other events held Saturday to entertain corporate clients.

Tons of money for hotels, restaurants, FBO at the airport, taxis, and a host of other related businesses which all pay tax to the host city, and all tax deductible as corporate expense.  Corporations spend millions and millions on Saturday, all benefiting the host city.

Play the game on Saturday and that really isn't possible to anywhere near the extent it occurs with a Sunday Super Bowl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Freak-O said:

If they are serious about branching out to Europe having the Superbowl ending around 4 am Monday morning is not a very good idea. More often than not I tap out during the endless halftime show...

Yep , at least start the game earlier on Sunday

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Have you ever heard of the "Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961"? 

I hadn't until a few days ago and I can't say I full understand it, but supposedly it resulted not only in the local TV blackouts when the stadium isn't sold out but also effectively blacked out Friday nights and Saturdays during high school and college football seasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

Obviously moot, since we already have playoff games on Saturday. One game a year on Saturday will not kill college sports. If they worry about it, just schedule the college games around it once a year. You still have 364 days available per year.

14 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I stopped caring and reading threads here...........can't have two teams, young man.

And what self-respecting Rams fan would be rooting for the 49ers?  That's like a Bills fan rooting for the Pats*** in the SB.

The Super Bowl isn't going to leave Sunday -- talk about a wasted effort.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, simpleman said:

Obviously moot, since we already have playoff games on Saturday. One game a year on Saturday will not kill college sports. If they worry about it, just schedule the college games around it once a year. You still have 364 days available per year.

I'm no expert here and that act from 1961 may be a thing of the past, but I don't think the late season and playoff Saturdays overlap with college or high school.  

2 hours ago, eball said:

And what self-respecting Rams fan would be rooting for the 49ers?  That's like a Bills fan rooting for the Pats*** in the SB.

The Super Bowl isn't going to leave Sunday -- talk about a wasted effort.

If the Bills aren't in the Super Bowl and the Patriots are, I'm rooting for the Patriots.  

Why you ask?  

The answer is quite simple.  The Patriots are our AFL brothers, just like the rest of the old AFL teams are.  Old fans like me remember the days of competing leagues when the NFL was always the enemy.  Now if I have a chance to root for an old AFL team, now in the AFC against an old NFL team, now in the NFC,  I'll be damned if I'm going to root against a former member of "The Foolish Club".  We old guys remember the joy every AFL player and fan felt when the Jets won SBIII.  Listen to some old AFL players talk about it, the Jets victory was considered an AFL victory for everybody involved in the league.

It becomes a little different when an old NFL team that moved to the AFC  the Steelers, Colts, and Ravens (since they are the old Browns) are in the game, then it depends on who their opponent is.  The only time I'll root for the NFC is if I can win money if they win the game.  The last time that happened was when Seattle beat Denver & I was in a post-season pool and needed Seattle to win the game.    

In the 1990s the AFC, as we Bills fans painfully remember, was getting their butts kicked by the NFC every year.  When Denver finally broke the AFC's losing streak I was as happy as if the Bills had won.  I remember going to work the next day with a smile nobody could get off my face.  

So that's why a Bills fan can root for the Patriots in the Super Bowl and a Bills fans should look back in history if that person doesn't understand that rooting for the AFC team in the Super Bowl makes a lot more sense than rooting for the NFC team to win the game.  For similar reasons, it's completely understandable that a self respecting Rams fan can root for the 49ers.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

@Albany,n.y. - I think you are in the minority.  The best feeling I've ever had watching an NFL game that did not involve a Bills victory was when the NY Giants ended the Pats*** dream of a perfect season.

But to each his own.  I have no affinity for the AFC -- I'm a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, eball said:

@Albany,n.y. - I think you are in the minority.  The best feeling I've ever had watching an NFL game that did not involve a Bills victory was when the NY Giants ended the Pats*** dream of a perfect season.

But to each his own.  I have no affinity for the AFC -- I'm a Bills fan.

Guys my age who were around for the old AFL are in the minority.  You kids need to stay off my lawn and stop rooting for the NFC team in the Super Bowl. 

Leave it alone,  it’s been fine for decades.  If you are that bad at handling your liquor on that one day then either drink more frequently or seek help.  

This kid’s “idea” gets brought up annually.  It’s a solution looking for a problem.  

living in uk games starts after 11.00 pm  and finishes most times at 3-4 am  monday., does not bother me and take next day off work.

it becomes a problem when games are thursday night oe monday night games... they start at 1.15-1.30 am uk and finish at 4-5 am .  

for superbowl its a one off game worth staying up for....