Bills fan petitions NFL to move Super Bowls to Saturdays

It's always about money.

Doing it on Saturday would massively impact the host cities revenue.

Saturday is the day everyone is in place and spending, because there is no game.

I believe the lost revenue number is so significant that it will not be changed..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They NEVER will do that and compete with their Free Minor League System. 

Have you ever heard of the "Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961"? 

I hadn't until a few days ago and I can't say I full understand it, but supposedly it resulted not only in the local TV blackouts when the stadium isn't sold out but also effectively blacked out Friday nights and Saturdays during high school and college football seasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

If they are serious about branching out to Europe having the Superbowl ending around 4 am Monday morning is not a very good idea. More often than not I tap out during the endless halftime show...

Halftime?  Hope you don't have any 3dr quarter "accidents."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Start the season a few weeks later and play the Super Bowl the Sunday before Presidents day.

Football is a cold weather sport IMO, so less hot weather games in September and more snow games as an added bonus. 

But the teams need the extra weeks to prepare for the draft and free agency. Plus back to school in September means football.

43 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Another bonus would be that we wouldn't have to sacrifice beautiful fall days in order to watch games.  Every family who doesn't get to go on a drive or go play in the park would approve of this change.

But the most beautiful fall days are in October and even early November.

35 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

But the teams need the extra weeks to prepare for the draft and free agency. Plus back to school in September means football.

Interesting that you equate back to school with football. I don't, but I never played so that's an angle I never considered. 

For purely selfish reasons I'd prefer that baseball and football didn't overlap as much. Football starts too early and baseball runs too late. An October-February football season in conjunction with baseball winding up before October would be ideal for me. Neither will happen, but I'll keep beating that drum anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Interesting that you equate back to school with football. I don't, but I never played so that's an angle I never considered. 

For purely selfish reasons I'd prefer that baseball and football didn't overlap as much. Football starts too early and baseball runs too late. An October-February football season in conjunction with baseball winding up before October would be ideal for me. Neither will happen, but I'll keep beating that drum anyway.

Good point on baseball and football not conflicting, but then there is the NBA and NHL. I also love cold fall baseball playoffs! They have to be in October.

Also, when I went to school in upstate NY, the first week of the NFL was on Labor Day weekends, and school always started the Wednesday after Labor Day. Having the NFL to watch took away some of the pain of having to go back to school. If high school football were delayed into December, that would also conflict with winter sports.

And another point, if there was too much snow, people would hate tailgating.

The playoff round games gets the highest ratings on Sunday nights so they'd sacrifice ratings (hence money), the host city would lose money without people partying Saturday, and messing with tradition is something the NFL doesn't like to do unless they see a clear profit win for doing so.  

If they move a team to London they may consider a Saturday game and have it start a little earlier around 5 or so.  I think it was after the Bills/Giants SB when they moved it from 5:30 to 6:30.

42 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

Good point on baseball and football not conflicting, but then there is the NBA and NHL. I also love cold fall baseball playoffs! They have to be in October.

Also, when I went to school in upstate NY, the first week of the NFL was on Labor Day weekends, and school always started the Wednesday after Labor Day. Having the NFL to watch took away some of the pain of having to go back to school. If high school football were delayed into December, that would also conflict with winter sports.

And another point, if there was too much snow, people would hate tailgating.

Completely disagree on cold baseball. Head socks and baseball are just wrong. Baseball is a warm weather sport. 

Nobody is suggesting that HS football be delayed, not sure where that came from.

The tailgating point is fair for the season ticket holders. But like I said, my preference is selfish.

It’s not a bad idea, and the person said all games on Saturday, they are not going to compete with D1 college football.  Now on the SB, that is all over and yes some people go out on Saturdays, but also is a great excuse for a fun party where no one has to go to work the next day (at least most of us), so if you are a night owl, you can also keep the party going after.  The ratings wouldn’t suffer at all.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why the Superbowl isn't on a Saturday is perplexing. The argument I've always heard about the "NFL" wanting to 'own' Sunday and more 'competition' on Saturdays doesn't really make sense to me.

Sunday gets the most TV eyeballs.  That’s why they moved the game from mid afternoon to night.  It’s also in ratings sweeps month which goes to ad setting rates for networks

having it Saturday night will kill local bars, restaurants, and entertainment districts who get the most revenue on Saturday night.  Many  private small restaurants, and higher end restaurants close on either Sunday or Monday.

the ratings thing iswhy Sunday night division and championship late game moved to 630.

if the lengthen the schedule then move the super bowl night to the Sunday before Presidents’ Day (3rd Monday in feb)where many have off or take off because schools are off.

Seattle 

My son, when in grade school, made the only sure thing bet I ever knew of on the Superbowl.  He bet another kid a quarter the game was on Sunday, not Saturday.  He of course won, but his teacher made him give back the quarter after she heard about the wager.   Bad lesson for the kids, who conducted their  business honorably, but were undone by the do gooder teacher.  My son is long grown now, and a sometimes commentator on this forum.  I hope he reads this.....anyhow, it can be important to know the game is (currently) on Sunday

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

It's always about money.

Doing it on Saturday would massively impact the host cities revenue.

Saturday is the day everyone is in place and spending, because there is no game.

I believe the lost revenue number is so significant that it will not be changed..

You are the 1st one to get it.  I was thinking something similar but from a different angle.  When I go to a Super Bowl city I want the tourism mixed with the anticipation of a future game and the day I do my sightseeing and do things like the NFL Experience is Saturday, the day before the game.  Once the game is over half the fans will be too disappointed to want to do things football related.  I know Saturday is when I'm doing my most spending.  This is especially true when the tourism is in a different area than the game, like Super Bowl 50 when the big football and non-football big events were in San Francisco. Saturday we went to the NFL Experience in SF, restaurants in SF,  etc,Sunday down to Santa Clara.  It was a similar thing when the game was in NJ and the big events were in Manhattan for the tourists.