First weekend without real football: what will you watch?

YoloinOhio

What will you watch this first weekend sans football?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What will you watch?

• Senior Bowl - Sat. 2:30 NFLN
    • Pro Bowl - Sun. 3pm ESPN
    • NHL All-Star Game - Sat. 8:15 NBC
    • NBA
    • College Basketball
    • Old Bills games on DVR/NFL Game Pass
    • None of these/Netflix

10 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

College basketball, love it almost as much as the NFL. 

Can someone explain this to me? I used to be a college basketball fan until I really started watching the NBA. It is like watching the Batavia Muckdogs instead of the Yankees. I mean I get it if you live in Batavia but otherwise I have a hard time wrapping my head around anyone that prefers the Muckdogs.

I don’t view college football like that but college basketball is ABSOLUTELY like that. It’s really a bad game at this point. The best players are all 1 and done. In some cases they don’t even go to college for a year; they play internationally. The quality of play is just not any good. The NBA is infinitely more interesting (and it didn’t used to be). 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can someone explain this to me? I used to be a college basketball fan until I really started watching the NBA. It is like watching the Batavia Muckdogs instead of the Yankees. I mean I get it if you live in Batavia but otherwise I have a hard time wrapping my head around anyone that prefers the Muckdogs.

I don’t view college football like that but college basketball is ABSOLUTELY like that. It’s really a bad game at this point. The best players are all 1 and done. In some cases they don’t even go to college for a year; they play internationally. The quality of play is just not any good. The NBA is infinitely more interesting (and it didn’t used to be). 

I think it is team driven vs player driven in CBB so if you follow a team you watch and if not,  you don’t. With CFB I think people who aren’t fans will watch games that are good matchups or to scout players for the next level even if they aren’t fans of those teams. I don’t think that happens much with CBB except in rare cases like last year with Zion. For many people CBB starts in March. I watch every single Ohio state b-ball game (as tortuous as it is) but rarely watch any other team. With the nba I will watch pretty much any game because it is so player/star driven 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Not trying to be Siskel and Ebert, but my girlfriend loves movies, so we went to that War movie that was a true story.  It is heartbreaking, but excellent.  Yes, was a little misty a couple of times.  This soldier was so brave.  Anyway, watch8ng the Prow Bowl is like getting you’re appendix taken out without anesthetic.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Because the NBA is an insufferably boring parade of watching guys sleepwalk through an endless regular season, with most of them standing around for most of the game while the 2 or 3 stars attempt dozens of 3 point shots.  The college game is based on ball movement and team defense and has guys who actually care about winning.

Personally I never understood the mentality that sports can only be enjoyed if you are watching the most professionally accomplished athletes.  I guess high school and almost all college sports are completely lost on you.

45 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Because the NBA is an insufferably boring parade of watching guys sleepwalk through an endless regular season, with most of them standing around for most of the game while the 2 or 3 stars attempt dozens of 3 point shots.  The college game is based on ball movement and team defense and has guys who actually care about winning.

Personally I never understood the mentality that sports can only be enjoyed if you are watching the most professionally accomplished athletes.  I guess high school and almost all college sports are completely lost on you.

College football is my favorite sport so that’s a pretty poor assumption.

In terms of college basketball, I don’t need to see a bunch of guys shooting 25% from 3. No team is very good or interesting. March Madness is fun because of the upsets and gambling but it isn’t a well played game. The beauty of basketball is the elite level of skill and athleticism.  That holds true more so than any other sport besides for maybe soccer. Watching the Premier League is way more interesting than MLS. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In terms of college basketball, I don’t need to see a bunch of guys shooting 25% from 3. No team is very good or interesting. March Madness is fun because of the upsets and gambling but it isn’t a well played game. The beauty of basketball is the elite level of skill and athleticism.  That holds true more so than any other sport besides for maybe soccer. Watching the Premier League is way more interesting than MLS. 

And traveling.

Lots of traveling.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But......if I apply your basketball logic, 98% of the college football players suck compared to the NFL so why bother?

Yes, it's hard to beat the thrill of watching undefended guys essentially having a 3 point shooting contest and watching a handful of super teams pound overmatched opponents by 30 night after night.   It's not hard to understand why the NBA now markets itself and its stars as though it was a Lifetime movie.  It's more interesting for fans to argue about Durant's latest twitter than to actually discuss the game.  Or ask why the stars that you tune in to see are increasingly spending a third of each game on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But......if I apply your basketball logic, 98% of the college football players suck compared to the NFL so why bother?

Yes, it's hard to beat the thrill of watching undefended guys essentially having a 3 point shooting contest and watching a handful of super teams pound overmatched opponents by 30 night after night.   It's not hard to understand why the NBA now markets itself and its stars as though it was a Lifetime movie.  It's more interesting for fans to argue about Durant's latest twitter than to actually discuss the game.  Or ask why the stars that you tune in to see are increasingly spending a third of each game on the bench.

agree, NBA is trash