Interview with Jordan Palmer on Allen offseason plans

Vic Carucci interviews Jordan Palmer on Josh Allen and plans for the off season.  TBN, paywall - I think there's a free trial.  Very interesting article IMO.

Some key quotes:

I was like, 'I think this guy's going to be unbelievable, but I can't say how long it's going take, because it's not that he had a prolific college career,' " Palmer said. "So I think, for me, a part of it was waiting to see how long things were going to take. I've spent a lot of time with him and I'm even surprised at how quickly he's growing and how much better he's getting and how fast that's happening. He's seeing things really quickly, he's making quick decisions, he's moving past mistakes really quickly. And every time there's something he needs to work on, it gets better.( ....... ) based off what I've seen the last few years, I would just assume that he's going to come back and be one of the best deep ball throwers in the league next year because I see the way that he addresses issues and moves on."

Jordan talks about the way he works on deep throws with his clients.  He says part of it is mental, throwing to a spot rather than throwing to a guy.  He also talks about a technique he uses to teach the physical aspects, getting the ball up higher.

IMUO (in my uneducated opinion) part of Allen's problem is that his technique still breaks down under pressure, so I hope that's something they'll work on.

The most interesting part of the article to me was talking about the "trying to do too much" aspect.  Palmer makes an interesting point:

" One of the things that I've noticed in working with young players is, a lot of times they can have success if they just want it more, right? Because when you put a bunch of little kids on the field that are 10 years old, honestly, things like talent, athleticism aren't registering yet. So it's really just who wants it the most. And so at some point, you grow out of that and it becomes speed and technique and talent, whatever the sport is.

(.....) I think one of the things with young NFL players is they still have that drive and that want-to and as they transition into older veterans, it gets channeled differently. "

I would say Josh definitely has aspects where he has succeeded at times in games because, as he says himself of the 4th down conversion vs the Cowboys, "I really wanted it".  So it's going to be a challenge to channel that "I want it more" that helps him win some plays, and use it more selectively. 

Palmer says he has his clients pre-draft work with a "mental conditioning coach" Trevor Moawad on "neutral thinking": " Neutral thinking is detaching from everything except for facts of what's happening. "OK, we're down 10. Here's what we need to do." Or, "It's raining. Here's what I need to do. Too many people get into negative thinking. "Oh, man, we're down 10 again." Or people get down 10 and they go, "We've got them right where we want them. No, we're all good. It'll be it'll be fine. What needs to happen? We're down 10, we need to get a stop on defense, we need to drive down the field, everyone needs to execute and go."

This interests me because it seems very tied in with some of the training I've had, as an emergency responder and as pilot.  It's not couched in the same language, but essentially it's very much about being focused in the present moment - you can't waste time second guessing or kicking yourself about how you got there, you can't be in denial about the situation you're really in, you can't waste time thinking too broadly about the situation.  It's all define the problem, work the problem, prioritize, most important aspect is the Next Two Things.

Anyway I think this is the guy:

https://moawadconsultinggroup.com/

Edit: apparently this guy is Russ Wilson's "mental conditioning coach"

Should be interesting to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 8

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Interview with Jordan Palmer on Allen offseason plans

I think that's what I've been most impressed with Josh about. He's pretty humble and coachable and clearly wants to get better. He works on things and you see results. If he keeps that up he'll get to where he wants to be. The nice thing is we can still be winning games as he is developing.

• Like (+1) 10

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some key quotes:

I was like, 'I think this guy's going to be unbelievable, but I can't say how long it's going take, because it's not that he had a prolific college career,' " Palmer said. "So I think, for me, a part of it was waiting to see how long things were going to take. I've spent a lot of time with him and I'm even surprised at how quickly he's growing and how much better he's getting and how fast that's happening. He's seeing things really quickly, he's making quick decisions, he's moving past mistakes really quickly. And every time there's something he needs to work on, it gets better.( ....... ) based off what I've seen the last few years, I would just assume that he's going to come back and be one of the best deep ball throwers in the league next year because I see the way that he addresses issues and moves on."

My god I hope that happens.  It would change everything on how opposing D's would have to handle the Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 11

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Vic Carucci interviews Jordan Palmer on Josh Allen and plans for the off season.  TBN, paywall - I think there's a free trial.  Very interesting article IMO.

Some key quotes:

Jordan talks about the way he works on deep throws with his clients.  He says part of it is mental, throwing to a spot rather than throwing to a guy.  He also talks about a technique he uses to teach the physical aspects, getting the ball up higher.

IMUO (in my uneducated opinion) part of Allen's problem is that his technique still breaks down under pressure, so I hope that's something they'll work on.

The most interesting part of the article to me was talking about the "trying to do too much" aspect.  Palmer makes an interesting point:

" One of the things that I've noticed in working with young players is, a lot of times they can have success if they just want it more, right? Because when you put a bunch of little kids on the field that are 10 years old, honestly, things like talent, athleticism aren't registering yet. So it's really just who wants it the most. And so at some point, you grow out of that and it becomes speed and technique and talent, whatever the sport is.

(.....) I think one of the things with young NFL players is they still have that drive and that want-to and as they transition into older veterans, it gets channeled differently. "

I would say Josh definitely has aspects where he has succeeded at times in games because, as he says himself of the 4th down conversion vs the Cowboys, "I really wanted it".  So it's going to be a challenge to channel that "I want it more" that helps him win some plays, and use it more selectively. 

Palmer says he has his clients pre-draft work with a "mental conditioning coach" Trevor Moawad on "neutral thinking": " Neutral thinking is detaching from everything except for facts of what's happening. "OK, we're down 10. Here's what we need to do." Or, "It's raining. Here's what I need to do. Too many people get into negative thinking. "Oh, man, we're down 10 again." Or people get down 10 and they go, "We've got them right where we want them. No, we're all good. It'll be it'll be fine. What needs to happen? We're down 10, we need to get a stop on defense, we need to drive down the field, everyone needs to execute and go."

This interests me because it seems very tied in with some of the training I've had, as an emergency responder and as pilot.  It's not couched in the same language, but essentially it's very much about being focused in the present moment - you can't waste time second guessing or kicking yourself about how you got there, you can't be in denial about the situation you're really in, you can't waste time thinking too broadly about the situation.  It's all define the problem, work the problem, prioritize, most important aspect is the Next Two Things.

Thanks for the link Hapless, that looks awesome, looking forward to reading more!

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

From last season one of his biggest weaknesses was his short to mid game and seeing how much he improved on that this year I definitely think his deep ball will improve next year.

He had the deep ball his rookie year. Let's hope he can put both together in his 3rd year. If he does, everything changes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Josh Allen pays Jordan Palmer 1000s of dollars to be his trainer, he's not going to give a full analysis. 

He's also a business man.  His analysis and how well he does doing that along with his results is his job.

If he didn't do that he would not have any "customers" in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Josh Allen pays Jordan Palmer 1000s of dollars to be his trainer, he's not going to give a full analysis. 

I'm not sure what you mean here...

Do you mean he's not going to give TBN a full analysis?  Did someone say he would?  I mean, that's way beyond the scope of a media interview anyway.

Or do you mean he's not going to give Josh Allen a full analysis?

• Like (+1) 1

I've said it all along since the day the Bills drafted him that the sky is the limit with Josh Allen.  He has the intelligence, heart, passion, work ethic, athleticism and physical throwing tools to be one of the best.  He was a raw prospect coming in and he wasn't as polished as most of the high pedigree NFL QB's when they came into the league.  I have very little doubt, barring injury that he will come back a better version of himself this next year.  I also agree with Jordan Palmer in that Josh Allen will be much improved with his deep ball.

Josh Allen will be a borderline pro bowl QB next year and lead to the team to the playoffs with at least one playoff win.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Awesome stuff. I love the point about getting more height on the deep balls. It'll give the receivers more of a chance.

52 minutes ago, eball said:

Where's the emoji of me running through a brick wall because I'm so freaking excited for next season already!!!!

not an emoji, but good enough: https://giphy.com/gifs/yeaaaaaaa-pkY4ra5dhljDW

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's also a business man.  His analysis and how well he does doing that along with his results is his job.

If he didn't do that he would not have any "customers" in the future.

...yes but despite all of the Josh negatives out there albeit press or posters, the interesting fact remains that ex-NFL QB's like Palmer, Sims, Dilfer, etc remain very high on the kid.....they lay out the pluses and are critical in the minuses, but the net is positive......Dorsey seems to be on board......and don't even waste time bringing up their collective NFL careers as a rebuttal.....I'd trust them WAY before some "journalist (COUGH)".......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some key quotes:

Edit: apparently this guy is Russ Wilson's "mental conditioning coach"

I was saying this all season and a bunch a people said I was completely off base

But what do I know