Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

It’s been years since I went on a job interview but I might apply to some other gigs soon.

Besides $$ what other factors have you mentioned in an interview important to you?  Company culture, number of staff, etc..  For me it’s having what I feel is the tools I need to succeed and is a good fit.  Not taking on something I’m not qualified for.   I mean you can BS all you want on the interview on how you can and will do everything under the sun.  Eventually I’d imagine it’d catch up to you.  

Thanks 

If the head of the company walks you out to your car- bad sign.  We had one applicant that after  he talked to everyone, the  CRO came back and walked him out. She wanted to make sure he left the premises.

• Like (+1) 1

Be sure to ask about how many weeks of vacation you get and what their "summer hours" policy is...

But seriously, do a little research on the company so you can ask intelligent questions that show why you want to work there.   I can't believe how many folks I interview don't do that, walking in cold and unprepared.    It doesn't have to be extensive, but showing the interviewer that you've done some homework can be very helpful...

• Like (+1) 2

Ask about structure, team size, emphasize opportunities for growth.  Don't talk about unhappiness with your current job.  You're interested in personal growth, new challenges, and an opportunity to grow within their exciting organization. 

Wipe off your chin before you go in for a clammy handshake.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It’s been years since I went on a job interview but I might apply to some other gigs soon.

Besides $$ what other factors have you mentioned in an interview important to you?  Company culture, number of staff, etc..  For me it’s having what I feel is the tools I need to succeed and is a good fit.  Not taking on something I’m not qualified for.   I mean you can BS all you want on the interview on how you can and will do everything under the sun.  Eventually I’d imagine it’d catch up to you.  

Thanks 

If you are over 40, good luck. There is a real epidemic of age discrimination in job hiring. Are your skills marketable as a gun for hire?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Ask about structure, team size, emphasize opportunities for growth.  Don't talk about unhappiness with your current job.  You're interested in personal growth, new challenges, and an opportunity to grow within their exciting organization. 

The bold was worth repeating. No whining about how poorly run your current company is and how badly they treat people (even if it’s true). Nobody likes that.  People want to surround themselves with positive people seeking growth. 

As for the research, depending upon the industry and position you might also want to look into the competition and try to understand what the employer’s challenges are. 

Don’t have money high on your list of things to be interested in. That will come up eventually. You want to learn about the company and the position. Often money doesn’t come up until a position is offered. You can expect them to be competitive in the market and you can decide if it’s acceptable if and when an offer comes. If it comes up, fine. Just don’t lead with “how much does it pay?” You’re not just there for a paycheck. 

Don’t forget to wear pants. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

i would only add that you exude confidence in yourself. you are the best person for the job and know it. don't be arrogant, just know they won't regret hiring you.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

If the head of the company walks you out to your car- bad sign.  We had one applicant that after  he talked to everyone, the  CRO came back and walked him out. She wanted to make sure he left the premises.

Hey!  I am watching that show on CNN right now.  This ain't no rerun!

LMAO...

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you are over 40, good luck. There is a real epidemic of age discrimination in job hiring. Are you skills marketable as a gun for hire?

Still under 40 and in school nights.

I figure it don’t hurt too put myself out there to see 

Edited by Another Fan

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

I used to be in charge of hiring for our bank region. For positions like teller and customer service we’d often have groups of 3-4 young ladies who would come in together to apply for positions. (I do NOT recommend THAT! Lol) I’d follow them out or peak from the window to see which one actually had a car and drove. Being able to get to work is the very first step in doing a good job. 

We were a small come many at the time, maybe 25-30. The guy was coming in for the head  of our department. The way he talked he was aiming fprthe CEOs position. She was also the co-owner. He creeped everyone out. 

Edited by Wacka

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Most important thing is to be around people who you like being around for 8+ hours a day, so meet as many people as possible.

My son interviewed at a HUGE international company headquartered in Atlanta for an internship years ago. I won’t name the company, but they sell bubbly things all over the world. You may have heard of them.  The guy he met with was in charge of all the bubbly things accounting. He got the interview as a favor, and was glad he didn’t have a shot at it. He said he never saw one happy looking person the entire afternoon. Not a single smile. 

Side note: the guy who met him told him immediately that he had no chance. He said his interns represent the market they serve around the world, and of last years 11 interns, only one was a Caucasian male. OK, whatever.......