Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

On 2/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, Gugny said:

Banking seems to be one of the last industries holding onto the "suit and tie," dress code.

It's an antiquated school of thought.  Sounds like you're the winner in this scenario because that dude sounds like a douchebag.

yeah, I may be the winner but my bank account isn't.  I got a pretty good gig where I am at, get to work from home anytime I want, have a boss that is one of my best friends, get paid pretty well, but it would of been a nice bump in salary.  In fact I told my wife if I get this job, she wouldn't have to work anymore.  As you could imagine, she was more upset than I was that I didn't get the job, she was in tears when I told her!?

On 2/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, row_33 said:

you'd have at least 3 days a week where you'll have to go out of your way to suck it up and sweat in a suit

you showed you are not banking material, which isn't a bad thing in life....

you might be able to casually visit your interviewer's place for a few minutes the week of your interview and see what the culture is

oh.... that requires some thinking...

I have worked in banking the last 25 years & have carved out a nice career for myself.  It is weird there are certain banks that are full of themselves & uptight & certain banking environments that are just the opposite.  The bank I was interviewing for is one of the more lenient banks with Proper etiquette & dress code(I know I worked there for 16 years).  But I guess showing up like I was playing 18 that day at the Lancaster Country Club wasn't the brightest idea.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gordio said:

yeah, I may be the winner but my bank account isn't.  I got a pretty good gig where I am at, get to work from home anytime I want, have a boss that is one of my best friends, get paid pretty well, but it would of been a nice bump in salary.  In fact I told my wife if I get this job, she wouldn't have to work anymore.  As you could imagine, she was more upset than I was that I didn't get the job, she was in tears when I told her!?

I have worked in banking the last 25 years & have carved out a nice career for myself.  It is weird there are certain banks that are full of themselves & uptight & certain banking environments that are just the opposite.  The bank I was interviewing for is one of the more lenient banks with Proper etiquette & dress code(I know I worked there for 16 years).  But I guess showing up like I was playing 18 that day at the Lancaster Country Club wasn't the brightest idea.  

good read, you never know what is just around the corner.

i would show up to any interview involving agency of people's $$$ at the slackest in a tie-less suit

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

So, I've been working at the same place for going on 14 years and things have been slowly declining over the past few years. Over the past two years things have gone from bad to worse. I started actively sending out resumes in the last week and was contacted by a company to take a digital interview earlier today. I opened up the email expecting to answer a few questions, only to find I need to record the whole thing via webcam or mobile app. I've been out of the game for quite some time. Needless to say I'm going to  need to do some prep work in the next 4 days before this thing expires.

it’s one of my less favorite developments.

it saves very little time for either party, albeit easier to schedule, but loses any personal connections or reading of the room with a conversation. Plus a lot of people get uncomfortable taping but are fine in person

54 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s one of my less favorite developments.

it saves very little time for either party, albeit easier to schedule, but loses any personal connections or reading of the room with a conversation. Plus a lot of people get uncomfortable taping but are fine in person

I'd have to say it was one of the most awkward things I've done. It's so different than interviewing with a human being in that as your giving your answers you're also analyzing everything you're saying and all of your facial expressions and tricks at the same time since you're sitting there watching and listening to yourself. I pretty much gave up hope, and then out of the blue I recieved a follow up this morning. Maybe this is a sign.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'd have to say it was one of the most awkward things I've done. It's so different than interviewing with a human being in that as your giving your answers you're also analyzing everything you're saying and all of your facial expressions and tricks at the same time since you're sitting there watching and listening to yourself. I pretty much gave up hope, and then out of the blue I recieved a follow up this morning. Maybe this is a sign.

100% accurate and almost certainly weeds out good candidates. Saving grace is many people struggle with them so any flubs you think you made likely were matched (or greatly exceeded) by others doing it 

45 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

i've graded university exam sessions done by video, nobody shines at all

53 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Good luck to you.  
where is the job? Close to you? 

Anyone ever do an interview with 5 interviewers ?

To get the job all 5 have to say yes to hire you? 

21 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Good luck to you.  

Thank you. It's fairly close. About 25 minutes. I'm spoiled now. My commute is only about 12 minutes. I've done interviews with multiple people before,  but it's been over the course of a day, not all at once.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, Another Fan said:

It’s been years since I went on a job interview but I might apply to some other gigs soon.

Besides $$ what other factors have you mentioned in an interview important to you?  Company culture, number of staff, etc..  For me it’s having what I feel is the tools I need to succeed and is a good fit.  Not taking on something I’m not qualified for.   I mean you can BS all you want on the interview on how you can and will do everything under the sun.  Eventually I’d imagine it’d catch up to you.  

Thanks 

....not knowing the culture of the company you're interviewing with, I suggest suit and tie for starters......perhaps I'm old school, but I'd remove any facial jewelry....our large contracting company consists of field employees (200 Union electricians for whom we provide work shirts) and administrative employees......for admin, three of us who serve as company executives have maintained a casual dress code for 20 years, with the only caveat being Friday is "Blue Jeans Day".....we have grown 4 fold over those 20 years revenue wise and I'd be hard pressed to find a negative in our collective decision....we even encourage those who come to our company for meetings (vendors, bankers, insurance execs, et al) to enjoy our casual dress code......it has been a win-win for us.............

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

100% accurate and almost certainly weeds out good candidates. Saving grace is many people struggle with them so any flubs you think you made likely were matched (or greatly exceeded) by others doing it 

As an update, I read the follow up email that I received and guess what.....................another digital interview....YAY!!!!. I guess it's something. The thing is, I've applied to this company a few times over the years for different roles and has limited success. Once nothing, once a phone interview and now two digital interviews, and so far nothing as came to fruition. I told my wife, if nothing comes of this, I'm applying for every role they have in hopes I get another digital interview so I can slowly strip down and crack a beer during the process and move on.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

As an update, I read the follow up email that I received and guess what.....................another digital interview....YAY!!!!. I guess it's something. The thing is, I've applied to this company a few times over the years for different roles and has limited success. Once nothing, once a phone interview and now two digital interviews, and so far nothing as came to fruition. I told my wife, if nothing comes of this, I'm applying for every role they have in hopes I get another digital interview so I can slowly strip down and crack a beer during the process and move on.

I’ve begun to err on the side of a suit jacket up top and gym shorts for them. 

joking aside, I can get the first digital to fast screen candidates, and allow 4-5 people to see them for first impresssions. Not my favorite but whatever. As a follow up too I’d be strongly considering using it for me to screen out a bad employer though. 

An interview is supposed to be two directional and about both parties finding the right fit. It strikes me as a big red flag if you don’t get out of one directional communication fast (submit resume to them, give them video, another video and I’d bet a personality test in there somewhere)... at some point it’s showing either lack of awareness or lack of concern for your needs and that usually won’t get better after hiring.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mead107 said:

Good luck to you.  

My current asked me my availability for “a couple quick calls to chat with folks at the main corporate office” in another city on short notice over a busy week in the industry. I gave them like 4 different 2 hour windows expecting 2-3 calls total talking maybe an hour or so spread across a few days 

they put 9 different 30 minute calls densely grouped in a 24 hour stretch (afternoon and following morning) on my calendar including several video chats knowing I’d be at work during all of them and thin on time.... and only like half in my Windows I provided.

i was blessed it was a big promotion and raise... but it proved an accurate preview of how they do business and will be leveraging the job for an outside promotion as soon as humanly possible.

a couple weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon had a 4pm call with someone at corporate. Pulled a report that has pretty extensive action items but really it’s mostly deleting out old out of date data if you understand it. 350 pages of data, and Corp guy estimates 8, maaaaaybe 9 minutes a page (really about 15 in practice but we can use 8 for this).... “I’ll need this fully scrubbed by end of day tomorrow.”

You know, standard issue minimum 46+ hour project with a 24 hour deadline, on a whim, with no actual pressing need for completion but several unrelated conference calls and reports that are pressing actually on the agenda. Respect for time or allowing priorities hasn’t been their strong suit

On 2/20/2020 at 10:56 AM, Gordio said:

i've carved out a comfortable and enjoyable niche as well, the bank account wasn't rewarded but many other important things were

now i'm getting set over this year to have to get out there and obtain a higher paying job with much more responsibility, hopefully the jobs dangled before me unsolicited are there when I need one...  ?

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i've carved out a comfortable and enjoyable niche as well, the bank account wasn't rewarded but many other important things were

now i'm getting set over this year to have to get out there and obtain a higher paying job with much more responsibility, hopefully the jobs dangled before me unsolicited are there when I need one...  ?

Well good luck in your new adventure wherever it may take you.  

15 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Do you know the platform/tool  they are using for the interview? I would imagine you sign some TOS before your first interview. Do some research if you can on the platform and the AI they may be using to access candidates. Body language, speech patterns, all kinds of things analysed by a machine now to predict success of hire. they future is here!

https://www.hrtechnologist.com/articles/hr-analytics/is-speech-analysis-the-next-frontier-of-predictive-analytics-in-hr/

53 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Do you know the platform/tool  they are using for the interview? I would imagine you sign some TOS before your first interview. Do some research if you can on the platform and the AI they may be using to access candidates. Body language, speech patterns, all kinds of things analysed by a machine now to predict success of hire. they future is here!

https://www.hrtechnologist.com/articles/hr-analytics/is-speech-analysis-the-next-frontier-of-predictive-analytics-in-hr/

It's something called RIVS.