Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to be in charge of hiring for our bank region. For positions like teller and customer service we’d often have groups of 3-4 young ladies who would come in together to apply for positions. (I do NOT recommend THAT! ) I’d follow them out or peak from the window to see which one actually had a car and drove. Being able to get to work is the very first step in doing a good job. 

Your motives might be pure, but that just sounds creepy.  ?

1 minute ago, Augie said:

My son interviewed at a HUGE international company headquartered in Atlanta for an internship years ago. I won’t name the company, but they sell bubbly things all over the world. You may have heard of them.  The guy he met with was in charge of all the bubbly things accounting. He got the interview as a favor, and was glad he didn’t have a shot at it. He said he never saw one happy looking person the entire afternoon. Not a single smile. 

Side note: the guy who met him told him immediately that he had no chance. He said his interns represent the market they serve around the world, and of last years 11 interns, only one was a Caucasian male. OK, whatever.......

A board member (terrific guy) at one of my former companies had a long career in various senior exec roles at that company.  Apparently, their culture had a lot of 'pop'.

As a finance guy who now works for a sub under a large public company, I can tell you there is a lot of crap to shovel through.   Fortunately we are the 'start up' arm, and although that means I have to manage two very different flavors of crap, at least I can generally escape the drudgery of big corporate.

And yeah, hard to find a solid white guy in finance/accounting these days.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

My son interviewed at a HUGE international company headquartered in Atlanta for an internship years ago. I won’t name the company, but they sell bubbly things all over the world. You may have heard of them.  The guy he met with was in charge of all the bubbly things accounting. He got the interview as a favor, and was glad he didn’t have a shot at it. He said he never saw one happy looking person the entire afternoon. Not a single smile. 

Side note: the guy who met him told him immediately that he had no chance. He said his interns represent the market they serve around the world, and of last years 11 interns, only one was a Caucasian male. OK, whatever.......

I am calling BS on this one:  LoL... These people look happy!

You have to think of the things that are important to you. That is different from person to person. For me, I would want to see career path. What are the chances for advancement? What are the chances to take on new and exciting opportunities? I would also want to look at corporate culture and how I would fit into that culture. Remember, you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. Make that clear that you want to make sure that not only are you looking to see if you are a good fit for the position, but if you are a good fit for their culture. What is the work environment like? How do the workers look as they walk you around the facility? Do they look stressed? Too much slacking off? What are the conditions of the facility? Does it look like they maintain it or are they letting it go? If they do not take care of the facilities, they probably do not take care of the employees.

Since I am currently in management, if it is a public company, I would review their 10-K to see the financial health of the company and how they spend their money. I would also use it to ask more probing questions on the financial health of the company and their financial strategies. You do not want to get into a company if management is making bad financial decisions or if it looks like they are in bad financial shape.

I would look at online reviews from people who have worked there. Obviously, this will be slanted towards the negative as people who have a negative view are more apt to voice their opinions than those with a positive experience. You can weed through that, but if you see recurring themes, that could be a red flag.

Don't be afraid to ask them the tough questions. In the end, you have to look out for yourself. It may sound selfish, but the company is always going to do what is best for the company, not necessarily what is best for you. Make sure it is the right fit for you, otherwise, you could be very unhappy and will be looking for another job in the near future.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Lie, Lie and lie some more.........tell the dude that you're qualified for EVERYTHING. There's no job too massive that you can't accomplish and succeed at. YOU are the best at anything and everything. No one can even compare to your astonishing work ethics and your complete success across the board.

You gotta sell yourself........don't sell yourself short or you'll get exactly what you deserve.

If you get the job and the boss wants you to take care of something that you have no idea what he's talking about, lie your way out of it........either that or act dumb and he'll get so frustrated that he'll hand it off to someone else.

I've been doing this for years, my friend.

The world was built on lies. The economy is one giant lie.........everyone lies.

Learn how to lie or learn, "would you like fries with that?".

Over and out.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

Lie, Lie and lie some more.........tell the dude that you're qualified for EVERYTHING. There's no job too massive that you can't accomplish and succeed at. YOU are the best at anything and everything. No one can even compare to your astonishing work ethics and your complete success across the board.

You gotta sell yourself........don't sell yourself short or you'll get exactly what you deserve.

If you get the job and the boss wants you to take care of something that you have no idea what he's talking about, lie your way out of it........either that or act dumb and he'll get so frustrated that he'll hand it off to someone else.

I've been doing this for years, my friend.

The world was built on lies. The economy is one giant lie.........everyone lies.

Learn how to lie or learn, "would you like fries with that?".

Over and out.

I just fired a guy like that!

This is a good template to follow on an interview:

Edited by KD in CA
  • Haha (+1) 3

On 1/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, Another Fan said:

It’s been years since I went on a job interview but I might apply to some other gigs soon.

Besides $$ what other factors have you mentioned in an interview important to you?  Company culture, number of staff, etc..  For me it’s having what I feel is the tools I need to succeed and is a good fit.  Not taking on something I’m not qualified for.   I mean you can BS all you want on the interview on how you can and will do everything under the sun.  Eventually I’d imagine it’d catch up to you.  

Thanks 

You  need to ask how your work objectives will be set and my whom.  Also ask about your evaluations:  Are they annual, completed by whom, do you have input at any stage of the process, etc.

7 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

You  need to ask how your work objectives will be set and my whom.  Also ask about your evaluations:  Are they annual, completed by whom, do you have input at any stage of the process, etc.

All good questions. You’d hope they would have 30/60/90 day type sit downs for evaluation purposes. One of the first rules of good management is a bad evaluation should NEVER be a surprise. 

Know the expectations going in for better results. Do NOT lie and oversell yourself, but show your potential. I can learn and become anything I want to be in this field. People can feel confidence and drive.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:50 AM, Another Fan said:

It’s been years since I went on a job interview but I might apply to some other gigs soon.

Besides $$ what other factors have you mentioned in an interview important to you?  Company culture, number of staff, etc..  For me it’s having what I feel is the tools I need to succeed and is a good fit.  Not taking on something I’m not qualified for.   I mean you can BS all you want on the interview on how you can and will do everything under the sun.  Eventually I’d imagine it’d catch up to you.  

Thanks 

For me it was always about quality of life. Autonomy and flexibility have always been at or near the top of my list. Basically, how much control do I have over my environment?

22 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I know a guy who took a personal phone call during a job interview. Think he was hired?  It's all about impression.

Had a guy come in once for an interview and proceeded to tell us how he got drunk and vomited on Bourbon Street the night before. He then told us that he forgot his tie so he paid a bellhop for his!! We then said, “do you have any other questions for us?” He confidently responded, “Just one question from me, so how much are you guys going to pay me?”

I’ve probably interviewed a hundred or so people in my career and this was BY MILES the worst. The sad part is his resume and experience were strong. I guess you don’t know what you are getting until you meet them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me it was always about quality of life. Autonomy and flexibility have always been at or near the top of my list. Basically, how much control do I have over my environment?

For me, I just want to be happy today. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to see tomorrow. I was far happier doing a job I loved in Sarasota than being now retired in Atlanta. Mrs Augie still works and has a great gig. She loves that work, and does well, so I’m happy for that. She is focused on being happy beyond the Finish Line, but she will never be finished. She’s just not wired that way. 

But I want nice 75 degree winter weather, tennis after work then a jump in the pool, etc. I used to make my own schedule, and that’s actually better than having NO schedule. I’m not very good at this “retired” stuff. 

I know, I don’t expect anyone to shed any tears......but it’s real. 

• Like (+1) 1