New Orleans Saints in Court

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

It wasn’t Brees being pro-life, it was his association with a radical “Christian” group that I was thinking of.

I was wrong, it wasn’t a crazy pro-life org, it was a crazy anti-gay org.

?Yes, heaven forbid he express his belief in either event.

Must be "crazy."

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Knowing what I know about that organization, there will be no scapegoat. They aren’t just going to throw Bensel or somebody under the bus. That senior leadership team was literally the pallbearers at Tom Benson’s funeral. It is not like any organization that I have ever seen. The Bills have people like Dave Wheat in power but he isn’t treated as if his name was Pegula. That’s how that Saints front office operates. The leadership team functionally all have immunity. That’s part of what makes this interesting to me. I’ll be really surprised if they throw someone under the bus to try to make this story go away.

the last I read was that this amounted to bensel advises them to be direct, own the issue and include authorities.

not wanting emails released is pretty basic and even if there was nothing damning in them, could be plenty of off color comments or distractions or... it’s not crazy to have a baseline of filing to keep communications private as a rule of thumb.

if it’s how to cover up obviously the whole thing changes 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

To me (a non-Catholic) it just seems like it would make more sense to distance yourself from abusers and cut them off. What do they have to gain by standing by and covering up abusive priests? Just strip them of their priesthood, excommunicate them, make a statement that the church will never stand by corrupt, child abusing priests, and place another priest in his place.

None of the blame should fall with the church as a whole UNLESS they are supporting their abusive priests and covering up their actions, which they stupidly have done in the past and apparently continue to do.

The better question is "What does that have to do with the Saints covering up Catholic abuse scandals?"

to be fair, not wanting to release emails between the organizations is not the same as covering up for the church.

it could be but as is... not yet.

heres their statement:

While there is current litigation relative to the New Orleans Archdiocese and clergy sex abuse, our comments are limited only to the scope of our involvement. The New Orleans Saints organization has always had a very strong relationship with the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese reached out to a number of community and civic minded leaders seeking counsel on handling the pending media attention that would come with the release of the clergy names in November of 2018. Greg Bensel, Senior Vice President of Communications for the New Orleans Saints, was contacted and offered input on how to work with the media. The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing. "Further, the Saints have no interest in concealing information from the press or public. At the current discovery stage in the case of Doe v. Archdiocese, the Saints, through their counsel, have merely requested the court to apply the normal rules of civil discovery to the documents that the Saints produced and delivered to Mr. Doe's counsel. Until the documents are admitted into evidence at a public trial or hearing in the context of relevant testimony by persons having knowledge of the documents and the events to which they pertain, the use of the documents should be limited to the parties to the case and their attorneys. If admitted into evidence of the case, the documents and the testimony pertaining to them will become part of the public record of the trial of the case."

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

My vitriol isn’t toward Catholic Priests. It is towards the Priests who abused. 

My anger isn’t toward the Catholic Church. It is directed towards the Bishops and Cardinals who felt it was more important to protect the Church than it was to protect the children. 

Many professions (Dr, Teacher, Nurse, Social Work) are required to report suspected abuse. SUSPECTED. That there are people who claim to be men of god living to a lesser standard is abhorrent to me. Hiding the abuse and looking to avoid negative perception...

I do not hate the Catholic Church. Just that small percentage within the Church who seek to keep abuse in the dark. 

Jump suit, I never said most of what you mentioned, and couldn’t agree more I am angered and a devout catholic that the Bishops, Cardinals, etc. allowed this to continue.  It’s reprehensible.  I also agree those that abused children are horrible and should be punished in the most severe way.  I may not have forgiveness in my heart for these people priest or otherwise, but would be fine with making it a capital offense.  Every time I think about a child being abused, I can’t help but think what would I do if one of my three children had this happen to them.  God help them, because I won’t.

I would not convict the Saints or the Archdiocese of New Orleans in the court of public opinion yet.

I understand in the perpetual 24/7 news cycle that news demands instant analysis.  Then again, it should be patently obvious that an allegation may not always be substantiated.  

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Off topic but I’m catholic, and our priest is married. Apparently he was Episcopalian and became catholic. And they let him become a priest. I don’t know the whole story because i just joined this parish within the last year. Just found it surprising. 

I was ordained once (no not as priest but as someone who could provide communion to church members) and this priests getting married was in debate then.

https://www.uscatholic.org/church/2012/06/how-i-met-your-father-married-episcopalians-becoming-catholic-priests

Oh by the way, I can speak Latin.  Lots of priests and church workers do.  Pepper was wrong in Iron Man 2.

Tony Stark: "She's fluent in French, Italian, Russian, Latin. Who speaks Latin?"
Pepper Potts: "No one speaks Latin. It's a dead language."
―Tony and Pepper whilst looking over Natalie's resume.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Geez.  Goodell seems like a d-bag, but gotta feel for him sometimes.  Kraft and Asian massage parlors, Patriots and incessant cheating, always something with Jerrah, now the Saints providing advice from their NFL email accounts to help pedophiles...Goodell must wake up every morning thinking what SH!??t is gonna drop today.  

Where have you gone Art Rooney?

You’re looking at it backwards. He’s fostering this atmosphere bc Goodell and company are not what you think they are

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:01 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Off topic but I’m catholic, and our priest is married. Apparently he was Episcopalian and became catholic. And they let him become a priest. I don’t know the whole story because i just joined this parish within the last year. Just found it surprising. 

One of the priests at my HS in CT was married — same situation.

Absolutely absurd the Catholic Church still refuses to allow women or married priests. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

So what?

I was wrong, as I stated in the thread, it was anti-gay org Brees was repping. And I brought it up because it seemed relevant that a team caught up in this mess also has a star player who was caught up in his own religious mess a few months ago.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

One of the priests at my HS in CT was married — same situation.

Absolutely absurd the Catholic Church still refuses to allow women or married priests. 

Agreed 100% The Catholic Church is still in the dark ages, which is why tons of people have been leaving the church for years, as well as all the problems that have finally been surfacing with the help of modern day media.