XFL Cutting down on the kicking game.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

What do you have against kickers?

I don't have anything "against" kickers but I don't like having too much of a game coming down to a kicker. I get that not matter what there are going to be games where kickers are the difference between winning and losing. But I would prefer to have a niche position like kicker not decide the game as much as possible. 

32 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't have anything "against" kickers but I don't like having too much of a game coming down to a kicker. I get that not matter what there are going to be games where kickers are the difference between winning and losing. But I would prefer to have a niche position like kicker not decide the game as much as possible. 

Is it just because we lost a Superbowl on the wide right kick?

2 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I'd have zero issue if they took it out

I guess I like the tradition of kicking. I like that it's part of the game and I think it would be a shame if it was taken out, especially kickoffs. I think it's a part of the game and taking it out changes it at a fundamental level.

I like the game how it is, mostly (I'd push kickoffs back to where they were to bring returns back into the game). We just have to figure out officiating.

Of all the rules changes by the XFL, I'd like the shorter play clock I think, and that's all.

16 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I HATE the idea of no punting, which is what will happen one day. For me there's nothing better than a tough, tight game of football that becomes a cat and mouse game of field position. I'd hate for that to end

Punting is NEVER going to leave the game. What even gives you an inkling it will?

15 hours ago, MJS said:

What do you have against kickers?

Nothing against kickers, it's holders I have a problem with. Been saying everything should be a drop kick ever since 50+ yard field goals became routine. All extra points should start at the 5 yard line. Drop kick for 1 or run/pass for 2. 

Madden has a no kicking game you can play online called Super Star KO. Each team gets one drive to score. Most points win. 

What's really interesting is how it settles ties... The ball gets placed at the 50, and each team alternates offensive plays. 4 plays each.

If one team scores a TD, game over. But otherwise the team wins who forces the ball in the opponents side of the 50 when it's all said and done. 

This could be a much more dramatic way to settle ties in OT during the regular season. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Over/Under 1 full season?

I actually think this league may work. One reason is because the teams are based out of the same city's as NFL teams. I remember the league that losman played in (can't remember the name) wanted all their teams outside NFL markets. The president or owner was talking about how they wanted to put a team in Maine. MAINE. seriously cmon. Didn't last more than 1 season 

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I actually think this league may work. One reason is because the teams are based out of the same city's as NFL teams. I remember the league that losman played in (can't remember the name) wanted all their teams outside NFL markets. The president or owner was talking about how they wanted to put a team in Maine. MAINE. seriously cmon. Didn't last more than 1 season 

None of these leagues last more than a year. This one has the best chance IMO but it’s probably not more than 50/50. There is no market for minor league football.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Over/Under 1 full season?

At first glance I believe they’d be one and done. 
Then McMahon got his fox deal for wrestling. 
They seem to have some actual backing from the networks on this which I don’t think other leagues ever really got full support. In the end it will depend on how the rules go over with fans and of course the actual level of play. 
I liked what the AAF??? (Can’t remember if that was the name) I liked the play. Seemed a little higher level than college but not quite NFL. 

39 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

At first glance I believe they’d be one and done. 
Then McMahon got his fox deal for wrestling. 
They seem to have some actual backing from the networks on this which I don’t think other leagues ever really got full support. In the end it will depend on how the rules go over with fans and of course the actual level of play. 
I liked what the AAF??? (Can’t remember if that was the name) I liked the play. Seemed a little higher level than college but not quite NFL. 

I guess that the bolded kind of illustrates my point. Here are 2 guys talking football on a message board and we don’t know the name of the league. We are WAY more into football than most people and we could not name a team in the last league. That’s a problem. These minor leagues NEED people like us have to be the core and from there they can attract fringe fans. If these leagues cannot pull in people like us how are they ever going to get the next tiers to survive?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that the bolded kind of illustrates My point. Here are 2 guys talking football on a message board and we don’t know the name of the league. We are WAY more into football than most people and we could not name a team in the last league. That’s a problem. These minor leagues NEED people like us have to be the core and from there they can attract fringe fans. If these leagues cannot pull in people like us how are they ever going to get the next tiers to survive?

Well said. I liked the Alabama team. And the black unis. But no I can’t even remember what the team name was now. So I definitely wasn’t that invested. 
This league has a better shot, WWE has a very large worldwide fan base for wrestling and I would expect they’ll advertise a lot on their wrestling platforms to gain some viewership. 
I’m interested in the rules, that seems to be the strong point of drawing people to this league. They are definitely lacking some star power though. Any upstart is facing an extremely uphill battle to survive. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

DC Defenders rolling with 2 former Bills QBs.

Caradale Jones 

Tyree Jackson   are the only QBs remaining after cut day

I think that I counted 7 former Bills on that roster!! Tyree, Cardale, Malachi Dupre, Shamarko Thomas, Khari Lee, De’Ondre Wesley, and AJ Tarpley. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that I counted 7 former Bills on that roster!! Tyree, Cardale, Malachi Dupre, Shamarko Thomas, Khari Lee, De’Ondre Wesley, and AJ Tarpley. 

I went though all the rosters there is some former NFL Talent on rosters, like Tampa is being highlighted by Antonio Callaway