Prospect Watch: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU

Estro

11 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

do the Bills need anther 5'8" RB???

Height is like the last thing I care about in a rb. In fact, a 3 foot rb probably would be pretty nasty.  

And this guy in a ball. I do like the idea of contrast to singletary but this team just needs more playmakers.  This guy is that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Devin Singletary's lack of height has not proven to be a disadvantage.  He's as strong a runner and as willing a blocker as any other 200 lb running back.  He doesn't really have the mass to be able to move the pile, and of course Edwards-Helaire isn't going to give you that either.  The other thing he doesn't give you is long speed.  He'll give you a lot of runs in the 10-15 yard range, but he's not going to break many 20+ yard runs.  Edwards-Helaire will probably break a few of those.

I'm not sure where you are getting this from but towards the end of the season Devin Singletary had the most carries of 20+ yard runs in the league per carry avg. in the NFL.

Edited by Magox

Always greatly appreciate your takes on prospects........you are one of the best here IMO........ and loved watching the guy play this season and would really like to have him.............but in the big picture he's a RB and while they aren't quite a dime-a-dozen anymore their production/impact on your franchise is very easily replaced.

So second round is a definite no for me.

To me drafting should be considered an ongoing process of franchise building instead of yearly events to fill needs.    

The system in place should be about getting players at big dollar positions in the first couple rounds.

Consider your first round pick an option to buy a $20M UFA..........if you can't see yourself paying that player that kind of money if they reach their ceiling then you paid too much in draft capital.

Your second round pick maybe a $15M UFA.    Certainly not guard or RB money.

Is Edwards Helaire a guy you can even envision playing top dollar to in UFA?   I can't see that.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Always greatly appreciate your takes on prospects........you are one of the best here IMO........ and loved watching the guy play this season and would really like to have him.............but in the big picture he's a RB and while they aren't quite a dime-a-dozen anymore their production/impact on your franchise is very easily replaced.

To me drafting should be considered an ongoing process of franchise building instead of yearly events to fill needs.    

The system in place should be about getting players at big dollar positions in the first couple rounds.

Consider your first round pick an option to buy a $20M UFA..........if you can't see yourself paying that player that if they reach their ceiling then you paid too much in draft capital.

Is Edwards Helaire a guy you can even envision playing top dollar to in UFA?   I can't see that.

Definitely a good philosophy. I would guess that WR, pass rusher, OT, and maybe CB fit the 15M club.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

do the Bills need anther 5'8" RB???

Aren't most RB's small?  It benefits them as it gives them a lower center of gravity and makes them harder to find behind the big OL that are blocking for them.

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Definitely a good philosophy. I would guess that WR, pass rusher, OT, and maybe CB fit the 15M club.

Yeah IMO QB/passrush/WR1/CB1/LT are really the only positions of consideration in round 1 and 2.

That's too rigid in the opinion of some people but having a system in place helps prevent impulse and need driven picks.

The Bills have been plagued by such picks in round 2 for decades.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Consider your first round pick an option to buy a $20M UFA..........if you can't see yourself paying that player that kind of money if they reach their ceiling then you paid too much in draft capital.

I happen to agree with your take.  Just as a fundamental philosophy I think taking RB's in the top 60 picks of the draft should be mostly avoided.  That said I do think this guy would be a great get for our offense that really needs another quality RB.  If he were to still be available late round 2, early round 3 I wouldn't hate using some of that extra draft capital to move up 10-20 spots and nab him.  I'd only like this idea if we moved down with or original 1st or 2nd round pick.  Ideally I'd like to see the Bills work the draft this year where they end up with like 4 players selected between picks 35-80.  Move down in round 1 or 2, then use that added draft capital to move up with 3rd and 4th rounders to get 4 players selected by the middle of round 3.

The best deals of the draft come in the 2nd and 3rd rounds when you look at what those players get paid.  When you hit on a guy in the middle rounds you actually have a player playing for like 1/6 - 1/8 of their market value.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Estro said:

I happen to agree with your take.  Just as a fundamental philosophy I think taking RB's in the top 60 picks of the draft should be mostly avoided.  That said I do think this guy would be a great get for our offense that really needs another quality RB.  If he were to still be available late round 2, early round 3 I wouldn't hate using some of that extra draft capital to move up 10-20 spots and nab him.  I'd only like this idea if we moved down with or original 1st or 2nd round pick.  Ideally I'd like to see the Bills work the draft this year where they end up with like 4 players selected between picks 35-80.  Move down in round 1 or 2, then use that added draft capital to move up with 3rd and 4th rounders to get 4 players selected by the middle of round 3.

The best deals of the draft come in the 2nd and 3rd rounds when you look at what those players get paid.  When you hit on a guy in the middle rounds you actually have a player playing for like 1/6 - 1/8 of their market value.  

Yeah I agree about trying to get players in that 35-80 range this year.     I suspect that picking at #22 is going to feel like leaving some value on the table because there should be some guys left at 35 that are just as good as at 22.  Everyone will know that.........but it just takes one need-driven team to make a deal.  Likewise mid-2nd to mid-3rd looks like a lot of the same level talent.   I was surprised at how many good players chose to stay in school and think a lot of the value at some key positions is going to drop off considerably late in round 3.

I hope they hit all their needs in UFA.......including a RB........... so they go into the draft with a clear head.    But either way they should come out of this draft with a pretty high upside RB.       

15 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He put the dagger in Alabama’s back. 
Good back, strong but has high end speed. He will probably be a second or third round pick.

exactly.  The kind of guy that McD and Daboll should love.  Will allow us to slow down the game and get yards and points when we have the lead.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd rather sign a RB in free agency. Since the Bills want to have a veteran in every room and Gore is likely gone, sign a guy like Kenyan Drake. He's been productive in the past and probably has a lot to prove. I don't know what he's like as a teammate or leader, though.

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

exactly.  The kind of guy that McD and Daboll should love.  Will allow us to slow down the game and get yards and points when we have the lead.  

Picking a back so high is wasteful, if you ask me. We already have our top back. Reserve high picks for other positions.

Edited by MJS

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd rather sign a RB in free agency. Since the Bills want to have a veteran in every room and Gore is likely gone, sign a guy like Kenyan Drake. He's been productive in the past and probably has a lot to prove. I don't know what he's like as a teammate or leader, though.

Picking a back so high is wasteful, if you ask me. We already have our top back. Reserve high picks for other positions.

I actually have predicted that will be the plan, because I think Gore will be gone and they seem to like having a vet RB. I think they will sign one in FA (Drake would be great, could also see Matt breida - someone with speed because it’s the one thing that Singletary lacks)

On 1/23/2020 at 11:01 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Why does that matter? Emmitt Smith is the all-time leading rusher at 5’9”

In terms of Edwards-Helaire I’m a fan. He was dominant at times this year. He reminds me a lot of Sproles. Edwards-Helaire is faster than people think as well. He was 4.47 in high school. If he runs a sub-4.5 he will be in good shape.

Whether he runs a sub 4.5 or not doesn't bother me. He is a tough, instinctive runner who has produced at the highest collegiate level. He reminds me of Singletary whose knock as a prospect was that he didn't have blazing speed. Both of these players are instinctive who make their OL look good because they quickly find the gap and hit it. And another trait that I like about Edward-Healaire, that also applies to Singletary, is that they fall forward. Both for the most part are north/south runners who know when to take it wide. 

If he was available on the third round I would be ecstatic if the Bills snatched him. Edwards-Healaire is simply a baller who fits the McDermott mold. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Whether he runs a sub 4.5 or not doesn't bother me. He is a tough, instinctive runner who has produced at the highest collegiate level. He reminds me of Singletary whose knock as a prospect was that he didn't have blazing speed. Both of these players are instinctive who make their OL look good because they quickly find the gap and hit it. And another trait that I like about Edward-Healaire, that also applies to Singletary, is that they fall forward. Both for the most part are north/south runners who know when to take it wide. 

If he was available on the third round I would be ecstatic if the Bills snatched him. Edwards-Healaire is simply a baller who fits the McDermott mold. 

I would grab him with less than 10 seconds off the clock if he was still there with our 3rd pick!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Looks identical to Motor. 

Hmmmm.....

With a little more power and better receiving skills. But not sure if he'll have the vision and wiggle that Singletary has. Would love to have em both though there would be no drop off in their own skill set depending who was on the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I would grab him with less than 10 seconds off the clock if he was still there with our 3rd pick!

In hindsight if the Bills would have taken Singletary in the second round instead of the third would people be complaining that he was taken too high because the value wasn't there? Based on his production I doubt there would be any arguments that he wouldn't have been worth taking with a higher pick. I'm not arguing to take Edwards-Helaire in the second round (more receptive to moving up in the third) but based on his effectiveness both as a runner and receiver I wouldn't be criticizing taking him with a higher pick.  Needless to say he is one of my favorite players in this draft class.