Prospect Watch: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU

Estro

This guy really caught my eye about a week ago when I was going through the highlight tape of a dozen or so of the RB prospects in this years draft.  I saw him mocked mostly in the 3rd and 4th rounds of many of these early mock drafts (which usually are totally off), but then Daniel Jeremiah release his top 50 prospects and I saw he had Edwards-Helaire ranked in his top 50 prospects.  I'm not sure the Bills will pull the trigger on a RB w/ their 2nd round pick & they'd probably have to do that to land this guy, but I'd love hi on the Bills.

He's a great fit for the modern NFL, in that he's excellent in the passing game.  He's also shifty and super physical in the run game.  By my eye he doesn't have great speed, which is probably why he's not viewed as a 1st round pick, but his speed looks good.  I'd guess he'll run somewhere in the 4.55 range.  I really like Singletary, and I know the popular belief is that we need a big, strong, bruiser type back to complement Singletary's game, but I think I'd rather complement Singletary with a lpayer that actually plays a lot like him and is built similarly.  A backfield of Singletary coupled with Edwards-Helaire would be a handful for opposing D's and would give us 2 very good RB's in the passing game, which I'm hoping this team takes advantage of more in the 2020 season.  Check out his highlight video from the Alabama game this yr (it's impressive):

& keep in mind Edwards-Helaire's stat line

vs. Alabama was:

20 carries - 103 yards, 3 TD's

9 receptions - 77 yards, 1 TD

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

do the Bills need anther 5'8" RB???

Why does that matter? Emmitt Smith is the all-time leading rusher at 5’9”

In terms of Edwards-Helaire I’m a fan. He was dominant at times this year. He reminds me a lot of Sproles. Edwards-Helaire is faster than people think as well. He was 4.47 in high school. If he runs a sub-4.5 he will be in good shape. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He reminds me of Mark Ingram. I'm not sure he has the same level of burst and power as Ingram but the body type, style, catching ability etc. is all very similar. Even though he is not a tall back, I think we could all agree that having an Ingram-like back to pair with Singletary would be a nice combination. 

• Like (+1) 2

Devin Singletary's lack of height has not proven to be a disadvantage.  He's as strong a runner and as willing a blocker as any other 200 lb running back.  He doesn't really have the mass to be able to move the pile, and of course Edwards-Helaire isn't going to give you that either.  The other thing he doesn't give you is long speed.  He'll give you a lot of runs in the 10-15 yard range, but he's not going to break many 20+ yard runs.  Edwards-Helaire will probably break a few of those.

Definitly on the 3rd round, I don´t know if I would take him in the 2nd, I mean, I won´t get mad ´cause he is an excelent player, but I think it is too early for us to take a RB. Even the 3rd Round seems to be early, but he could be BPA and I would be fine with him. 

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

He reminds me of Singletary... not a bad thing, but seems duplicative. 

The power they run with despite how short they are is similar. CEH seems to have more speed and far better receiving skills though. As OP mentioned, I think he probably gets taken too early for us, but I would also love to have him on the team.

Think we go in a different direction though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, racketmaster said:

He reminds me of Mark Ingram. I'm not sure he has the same level of burst and power as Ingram but the body type, style, catching ability etc. is all very similar. Even though he is not a tall back, I think we could all agree that having an Ingram-like back to pair with Singletary would be a nice combination. 

That is exactly who he reminds me of as well. He is a fighter with an interesting background. Definitely a process/leader type. Would not mind him a bit.