Target WR Breshad Perriman FA Tampa Bay

Mikie2times

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

OP was saying this guy would be a good pickup as a #1 WR.  I'm countering that for whatever reason, he has the lowest catch rate on his team.  If it's because of his QB (who is a 61% passer),  brining him to a QB who is a sub 60% passer won't be ideal.

I watch the Bucs almost every week. I'm still highly skeptical of Perriman because he looked like crap up until those last few games when he was thrust into a big role, but to be fair, he really did look outstanding in those games. He made some ridiculously good catches and was obviously very productive.

Also, his true catch rate of 83.7% is pretty good: #38 in the league in that metric. Yards/catch and Yards/target were #6 and #21 respectively. He really did turn it on in those last 5 games; I'm just nervous about committing much to him because he had basically been terrible for the previous 4 or 5 years or whatever it's been, including most of this past season.

It's possible that he's really turned the corner, but I would probably just opt for drafting a couple rookies and or signing/acquiring an established good WR.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I think he asked the Browns to cut him after they signed Odell because he wanted to play, and he looked like the real deal when he got a chance.  Assuming he's not commanding a huge deal, I'd be totally down with taking a shot on him.  And yes, also draft a WR somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

I'd like to see us sign a guy like this and trade up for a pair of round 2 picks. OT in the 1st, then WR and CB in the 2nd or CB in the 1st and sign Yannik.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

OP was saying this guy would be a good pickup as a #1 WR.  I'm countering that for whatever reason, he has the lowest catch rate on his team.  If it's because of his QB (who is a 61% passer),  brining him to a QB who is a sub 60% passer won't be ideal.

He would be good competition for Josh Brown given the fact that we will not sign a true #1 and if we do try and draft one he will not be one next year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Remember that time Peerless Price got a big deal from the Falcons? He put up great numbers after Mike Evans and Godwin went down but the Bucs were in the top 3rd of the league in passing. 

If the argument is heavy passing offense, OK, he still needed to make plays with an entire defense knowing he was the only guy who knew the playbook on the field. He did so in pretty spectacular fashion watching the games he played. 

As a whole it seems like those that don't like him are saying pass. Ok, since we likely don't sign a real #1 or even #2 for that matter and if we draft, he likely isn't worth a crap until his second year, who can we get that you like better than Perriman for next season, a season in which we are supposed to go after a division title? I'll take my chance (which they all seem to feel like) on a guy who seems to be coming into his own, with incredible athletic skills and pedigree. This isn't a break the bank signing, none of them will be. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I watch the Bucs almost every week. I'm still highly skeptical of Perriman because he looked like crap up until those last few games when he was thrust into a big role, but to be fair, he really did look outstanding in those games. He made some ridiculously good catches and was obviously very productive.

Also, his true catch rate of 83.7% is pretty good: #38 in the league in that metric. Yards/catch and Yards/target were #6 and #21 respectively. He really did turn it on in those last 5 games; I'm just nervous about committing much to him because he had basically been terrible for the previous 4 or 5 years or whatever it's been, including most of this past season.

It's possible that he's really turned the corner, but I would probably just opt for drafting a couple rookies and or signing/acquiring an established good WR.

And to be clear, what I saw of Perriman was those last 5 games. I took the total (betting) in two of the 5 final Bucs games of the year. He made plays multiple times where I was just like WTF? I mean angry catches, that's why I referenced Marvin Jones. He's about the only guy I have seen make catches like that the last few years. 50/50 balls, just out muscle the DB and in violent fashion. Crazy. Understood if that isn't the norm for him. Sounds like you have seen much more. But even if it's established as not the norm, just based on his draft status and pedigree he intrigues me. If the light switch flipped on for this guy and they can at odd times for some players, he has the athletic skills to be among the best in football.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well it is true that Winston had serious accuracy issues.  But of all the players who were targeted at least 30 times by the same QB, he had the lowest % of catches made.  Godwin was targeted almost twice as often and caught 71% off his passes.

Godwin worked the shorter routes  Not saying Perriman has Larry Fitzgerald hands but he's worth a deep look in FA  he's big and very very fast  Bringing him in on a reasonable 2 year deal and adding in the draft seems like a good bet

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

And to be clear, what I saw of Perriman was those last 5 games. I took the total (betting) in two of the 5 final Bucs games of the year. He made plays multiple times where I was just like WTF? I mean angry catches, that's why I referenced Marvin Jones. He's about the only guy I have seen make catches like that the last few years. 50/50 balls, just out muscle the DB and in violent fashion. Crazy. Understood if that isn't the norm for him. Sounds like you have seen much more. But even if it's established as not the norm, just based on his draft status and pedigree he intrigues me. If the light switch flipped on for this guy and they can at odd times for some players, he has the athletic skills to be among the best in football.  

If his market ends up not being too crazy, I'd have no issue with bringing him in. I would just want it to be more of a flier on him rather than investing long-term money.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I’m saying the good ones at $13 won’t be available. And I think the only $13M receiver available will be Robby Anderson, who I believe is the definition of mediocre. 

...not saying he would have stayed here, but it was just a short while ago that posters thought Rams paying Robert Woods $8 mil/yr was crazy money....think that's what Pegula pays the Rockpile Beerman now........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

No thanks. I think he is as average as average gets. Can't expect him to come in and be a #1.

I may have missed the part about being a number one.

Vying for #1 ? perhaps ?
 and yes i wish there were more and better choices in FA. hedge the bet

and draft for a rockstar then. Who will start or get earned reps early in the season and has a ceiling too high to reach in a year of NFL !

Perriman would improve the WR room we currently have. add to its breadth and depth.
and maybe he will work his arse off and play like he did end of his season when asked to step up. He might end up being a bargain ? : )

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He and Demarcus Robinson are the highest-value “flyer” types in FA this offseason IMO.

Fallbacks if you don’t get a bona fide

I almost read that as fullbacks and had flashbacks to the Houston heave.

That said, I think you aim for two guys- the best you can get in free agency, and the best by end of day 2 of the draft. If he’s the best of free agency maybe a little more pressure on the draft. 

21 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

He’d be a solid addition. I don’t expect Cooper or Green to hit the market. I don’t want Robby Anderson. Perriman will also cost less than any of those guys, and maybe even half as much as Anderson. 

How does Green not hit the market?  He wont get the franchise tag and doesnt want to be a Bengal. 

I think he would be a nice additions at the right price I dont think Mcbeane will be willing to throw more money at the WR position this year I truly could see Bills drafting 2 WR in this draft class. Tyler Johnson Minnesota somebody please check out his highlights he seem like YAC machine

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The quesiton is.....where would Perrimen rank in our current WR core....probably pretty high I would think

Bring in a guy like this AND draft one of these quality WR's like Schanault and Higgans......DOUBLE DOWN on the spot...improve the overall quality of the stable because competiton is good and injuries happen.

he'd be either 1B with Brown or the clear #2

• Like (+1) 1

I’d rather get an established WR1 in free agency or just try and draft one. Not saying Perriman wouldn’t help, it seems like he’s improved but idk how exactly he’s different from john brown (not that 2 john browns is a bad thing mind you.)