My Post College All-Star Game Mock

MAJBobby

It is one week too early, I normally wait until after the Senior Bowl, But I am bored at work so decided to do it early, my next complete mock will be two rounds and likely after the combine.  OOO and I don’t do trades yet.  Will put the team and their top 5 needs as I see them at this point.  Hope you enjoy.

1st Bengals (QB, WR, OT, IOL, LB): Joe Burrow, QB, LSU – This one is easy, he is not the best player in the draft though, but the 2nd Best and in a position that Bengals really need and the reason the tank was on.  Ohio Native will be coming home.   I do think MIA will be working the Phones trying to get into this pick along with every pick after to get their QB and they do have the capital to do it.  I don’t think the Bengals will get cute though with this pick thy will take their QB now.  Elite football IQ, and understanding of reading defenses, coverages etc.  He knows how and does well manipulation with his eyes and top end pocket presence.  I think his Arm Strength is OK, but good enough to not hamper him in the league. 

2nd Redskins (OT, EDGE, WR, CB, S): Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio ST – Another easy one, Skins will fill their second need with the best player in the draft.  Riverboat Ron will get the elite edge in his overhaul of the Skins Defense.  Is your prototypical build for a 4-3 DE, he has a variety of pass rush moves, and counters, and attacks OTs with a plan, and will set up OTs.  Elite First step.  Biggest Issue with him for me is he plays High at times, needs to play with better pad level.  MIA will also call here, but The Skins likely won’t sell off the pick (though more ammo would help them in the rebuild).

3rd Detroit Lions (LB, CB, WR, EDGE, IOL): Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio ST – Lions are HOPING Skins sell the pick so they can get Young.  But that doesn’t happen this is the spot that could be up for sale for those wanting TUA as their top need is really LBer and none graded here they would like to slide down.  But as I said I won’t sell the picks yet. So, they stay here and take what thy hope will be their Lock-down CB.  Excellent Cover CB, he is much better in man than zone, but will give the Lions that CB to follow top WRs like what Pettine did in NE.  Smooth hips in transition and has elite makeup ability.  His biggest issue is trusting his technique and relying to much on his athleticism.  Also, not really great ball skill.

4th New York Giants (Edge, LB, CB, WR, OT): Jedrick Willis, OT, Alabama – If the draft falls this way and no one comes up to push down Okudah or Young to them they will look to move out.  I would take a weapon for their young QB but putting my Gettlemen hat on I think they go OL.  Still helps Jones with protection and in-line with Gettlemens thinking of old school.  He is an elite pass protector from the right side. For his size his footspeed is amazing.  Really dense with power and a top-end Run Blocker as well.  Only issue is I am not sold on if he can play LT.

5th Miami Dolphins (QB, EDGE, OT, CB, IOL):  Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama – Hey look at that MIA stays where they are and get the QB their owner loves (I don’t think this will happen though I think someone will get into 3rd or 4th, if MIA is smart it is them they have more than enough ammo to get there.  I think he is a perfect fit for the Chan Gailey offense.  This is the player they wanted to tank for (until Fitzy did well Fitzy stuff).  Has very good accuracy and football IQ, has good movement and will break the pocket.  Well liked in the locker room.  Size is ok but will be fine.  His Biggest issue is durability.  He gets hurt a lot.  Fins will have issues if they don’t protect him.

6th Los Angeles Chargers (IOL, QB, OT, CB, WR):  Jerry Juedy, WR, Alabama – A run on Alabama players, Chargers will be happy with Juedy but this isn’t the way they hoped the draft will fall.  But they do get to fill one of their top five needs with a top graded player at his position.  They also could b a position that will sell the pick.  He has the best route running in the class, has a nice release and can beat press immediately I think the worst part about him are his hands, and ability to make contested catches.

7th Carolina Panthers (IDL, QB, CB, IOL, S): Derrick Brown, IDL, Auburn – I think they run to the stage with this pick thy are getting my 4th best player at 7th overall.  The other player in play here with the Luke Retirement could be Isaiah Simmons but will fill their top need.  He is powerful and explosive from the Tech. He will offer top end QB pressure from the interior and can anchor against the run fine as well.  He does have some small area change of direction issues and doesn’t always extend. Reminds me a lot of Marcel Dareus (when he was good before getting paid) on the field.   

8th Arizona Cardinals (OT, IOL, IDL, LB, EDGE): Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson – The only thing that slows this pick down is waiting on the boat to reset after 7th.  His best trait it his athleticism and versatility.  He has lined up at every LBer spot, Nickle Back, Safety, Outside CB.  Most of his time though is at WLB.  His processing and instincts are great, and I think he can easily be a full time MIKE.  I think his worst trait is Zone Coverage play, he is uncomfortable and doesn’t trust his eyes in Zone his man coverage skills are great though.  He is a 3 down LBer and more.

9th Jacksonville Jaguars (WR, LB, CB, RB, S): CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma – The best player on the board also fills there No 1 need.  I could also maybe see an OT here as well, but that is much lower on their need list outside the top 5.  Exceptional Ball Skills and Body Control.  He also catches EVERYTHING.  I think if he times well at the combine and shows the straight-line speed, I think you can see him pass Juedy as the best WR in a class of very good WRs.

10th Cleveland Browns (OT, S, IOL, OT, LB) Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa – Yes, I listed OT twice.  The reason they are picking here and not in the 20s is their OL is in Shambles, with missed picks and selling off OL to get OBJ they have nothing really to speak of, and this is the NO 1 reason I think Dorsey was fired.  They fill one of those OTs here.  Really good feet for a 320lber.  Also plays with extreme power and is nasty out of a 3-point stance.  And if you need OL you can never go wrong with an Iowa OL.  Issue with him is technique in pass pro, might be a better RT than LT. 

11th New York Jets (Edge, OT, IOL, WR, CB): Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia – They bypass the edge here to get protection for Sam Darnold.  He has been beat up a lot already in his young career and they need to keep him healthy and upright if they are every going to really see if he is a Franchise QB.  He brings power in the run game and is a good pass blocker as well.   His pass pro issues are linked really to 2 things, 1st is slow feet and 2 is technique at times, struggles with speed rushers. 

12th Las Vegas Raiders (WR, LB, CB, QB, S): Henry Ruggs III, WR Alabama – I think with Mayock making the calls thy will be all about value, so the highest rated player on my board is Ruggs.  It also does fit their No 1 need too.  He will likely time in the 4.3s get the ball to him in space and he can legitimately take it to the house.  After seeing Tyreek Hill twice a year the Raiders get their version.  One issue is has is his catch radius is small for his 6’0 size, and lacks physical play.

13th Indianapolis Colts (WR, QB, IDL, IOL, Edge): Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon – This is a tough one, I think they will really try and trade down if the draft fell this way, and could have suitors, if they could get in the 18-20 range they are in perfect spot for their QB, But can’t get anyone to bite, so they take their QB here.  He is much like Ryan Tannehill if he can clean up his consistency, ball placement issues and progressions I think he will be can be a franchise QB.

14th Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OT, IDL, QB, Edge, IOL): A.J Epenesa, Edge, Iowa – They go get a Ideal 4- DE.  He brings a nice set of pass rush moves, with a smaller set of counters.  Has great hand placement and plays with nice power, his lateral moving ability needs work, he is pretty stiff.

15th Denver Broncos (WR, OT, CB, LB, S): Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU – They could go WR and right now that would be a reach, might not be after the combine, and I think they really like Sutton as well.  What they do need is a legit CB, and that falls in line with the value at this pick.  So, they take one.  Fulton is a top end man cover corner, also nice in zone with closing speed.  What he doesn’t do well is play physical even though he has the size to.

16th Atlanta Falcons (Edge, CB, IDL, OT, LB): K’Lavon Chaisson, Edge, LSU – After much debate between Chaisson or Kinlaw, Falcons go with Chaisson.  He can fill two of their top 5 needs with Edge or LBer.  At this point that is the best the Falcons can hope for gives them twice the shot at this pick sticking.  I personally think he would be better as a LBer than putting his hand in the dirt at a 4-3 DE.  Very explosive also has great length and a non-stop motor.  Concerning though is production doesn’t match his top-end skills.

17th Dallas Cowboys (CB, S, IDL, EDGE, WR): Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama – Cowboys finally get a safety, I like Delpit more but they are graded right in the same range so I went with the thinking that Jerrah loves his Alabama boys.  Versatile player that displays good reactive athleticism on the back end. Quickly reads his keys, diagnoses run/pass and gets to the football. Doesn’t tackle well but will finally give Cowboys a legit cover safety.

18th Miami Dolphins (QB, Edge, OT, CB, IOL, RB):  Mekhi Becton, OT, Lousiville – Draft fell horribly for them with this pick and I think they look to sell.  Look at this as a pick the Bills COULD TGT to get in front of the next group that will be looking at WRs.  The reach a bit and take some protection for their new QB.  At 369 he is amazingly fluid in pass sets, big guys should not have the feet he has, Long arms.  His punch is inconsistent and misses on it.  Also, he gets lazy in his technique.

19th Las Vegas Raiders (WR, LB, CB, QB, S, IDL) Grant Delpit, S, LSU – Again value is right.  The other option could be Kinlaw, and maybe even this is where Love Lands.  Elite football IQ. And will help in the backend coverage.  Has some tackling issues in open field going for the big hit but when he does land he brings the boom.

20th Jacksonville Jaguars (WR, LB, CB, RB, S, Edge) Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama – Want to get in front of Philly this is the spot.  They should trade out of here, instead they go with the CB, (they could go RB here too, but CB is the bigger need). A long CB that is a little stiff in Man Coverage but plays excellent Zone.  Will go a long way in easing the departure of Ramsey.

21st Philadelphia Eagles (CB, LB, WR, S, IOL) C.J Henderson, CB, FL – Could go a bunch of different ways but elect to go fix what has been a very big weakness for a long time, they go get their top CB.  Henderson is a terrific Man CB that can keep up with any WR in the nation, he has the length as well with good football IQ.  His biggest issue is tackling, I mean it is bad think Dion Sanders bad.

22nd Buffalo Bills (WR, Edge, CB, IOL, OT,) Laviska Shenault, Jr. WR, Colorado – Well going through the list of needs and there are WRs graded here, Edge graded in this range (by some not me), CBs are gone at this point, OL are gone at this point.  So, it came down between an Edge and WR for me.  I went with the WR as based off my grading that is the value, I could maybe see a trade back happen as well.   One-word Versatility can play every WR position on the field, Outside, Big Slot.  Comes with good production and nice hands, can do everything asked of a WR in Dabolls offense. His issues for me are still a limited route tree, and there is the production question, but checks nearly every box you'd want from a high-end wide receiver prospect entering the NFL, minus production.

23rd New England Patriots (TE, Edge, OT, IDL, QB) Javon Kinlaw, IDL South Carolina – This is why I think the Bills will have callers to trade down, why because Kinlaw on Board and Love on board, Patriots can go with either the DL or the QB (especially with no Brady) this is an option for the Bills to slide back and get more picks imo.  Offers nice POA strength and interior pass rush.  Has bad technique at times and slow processing the game as he gets tired.

24th New Orleans Saints (LB, IOL, WR, QB, CB) Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma – Saints go with rangy LBer who is very explosive and excels in zone coverage.  Can be slow to read and react which allows blockers into his body.  But is a 3 down LBer

25th Minnesota Vikings (CB, IOL, IDL, OT, WR) Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma – none stop motor with excellent short space change of direction, has nice interior pass rush moves, and will penetrate and push the pocket.  Not the best run defender think Jordan Phillips

26th Miami Dolphins (QB, Edge, OT, CB, IOL, RB, S) : Terrell Lewis, Edge, Alabama – Flores goes to the old NE well of Nick Saban to find the swiss army Edge, can play with hand in dirt as well as standup as a 3-4 OLBer.  Perfect fit for what MIA is doing on defense.  His issue is his rush technique is lacking right now, no rush plan.  But the tools are there.

27th Seattle Seahawks (Edge, WR, IOL, OT, IDL): Yetur Gross-Matos, Edge, Penn St – The off-field stuff wont scare off Pete.  Long and explosive pass rusher that needs to win on first move, doesn’t have any effective counters.  Also questions about his processing speed and how to set up OTs.

28th Baltimore Ravens (WR, LB, Edge, CB, IDL) Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson – Go get Lamar a big target with speed and a huge catch radius.  Essentially a TE at WR.  When Lamar has been inaccurate it has been high so the 6’4 WR will help. Issue is the limited route tree he runs at this point, and questions about ability to separate at NFL Level.

29th Tennessee Titans (Edge, IOL, QB, IDL, TE): Julian Okwara, Edge, ND – an issue with Titans here is where they are picking and how this draft fell there is no value at any of their needs.  I have Okwara (well I have Gross-Matos and Terrell Lewis for that matter) graded as 2nd round prospects.  But they can’t trade out so will do a slight reach by about half a round. Good flexibility and can play both up and down so will fit in Titans defense.  His production has not matched his skills.

30th Green Bay Packers (WR, LB, OT, IOL, TE) Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU – Last WR with a first-round grade for me. Route tree is limited to stuff like slants, screens, stops, crossers, and an occasional vertical bomb. Rare type of ability to reach top-end speed as quick as he wants to. Track background flashes immediately and he has speed to burn for days.  Gives them Big play and speed from the slot miss a tackle on the slant and he can house it.

31st Kansas City Chiefs (CB, IOL, RB, LB, Edge) D’Andre Swift, RB Georgia – They might be the next pick as well but either way the first RB off the board. He will be an answer for the Chiefs at RB, good in pass pro and offers catching ability as well for Mahomes, Runs Powerful and should help Chiefs get a little more balanced.

32nd San Francisco 49ers (CB, IOL, S, LB, OT) Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU – They add a young CB to that defense.  His best ability is man coverage, plays a little small and does not have much length in his game.  Loose in his breaks not crisp rounds them which Gives WRs separation.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

what are your thoughts on jalen hurts?  i think someone gets a steal with this guy

Give me a bit. I haven’t watched a ton of the QBs close because Bills don’t need one this year.  But I can say he is a QB. One that will need time, right coach and System. But can develop into a productive QB. 

there are a lot of similarities to Josh Allen in college when just watching at game speed and not focusing on him. Will give you more once I watch him individually 

Edited by MAJBobby

• 2 weeks later...

What do you see in Shenault that makes you want him there?  I’m not anti-Shenault, but he seems all-athlete and little development at WR.  I’m NOT an expert, but many of his plays that I’ve seen are passes within 5 yards of the line and run plays.  He looks to be a great athlete, but I have not seen him get open (in limited views) other than a few deep balls and on very short passes.

Can he be good?  The physical talent is surely there and his hands look decent, however, from what I’ve seen, I see a guy who is going to need considerable development before he can be a big contributor in the NFL.  If I am looking for someone who will aid Allen’s development next season, I don’t think he is it.

As a 50 + year Alabama Fan, I can't see any possible way for Jedrick Willis to go at #4. He is a good blocker but not a top 5 pick imo. He jumps quite a bit and sometimes at crucial times. He seems like a smart kid when he talks, perhaps he has concentration problems.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was there when the Bills pick at 22. We are not looking at Orlando Pace here.

Jmo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.